Cities that spurned WalMart now begging them to open stores in their communities

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
After years of being the despised whipping boy of the left, hopefully the folks in Bentonville, Arkansas made the city slickers beg on bended knee to please please please put some of your stores in my city. Enjoy your slave labor minimum wage jobs DC residents.

http://www.theatlanticcities.com/jo.../walmart-once-spurned-welcomed-open-arms/511/

Washington, D.C., recently made a deal with the retailer to open six stores in the District, two more than Walmart had originally planned. The city lobbied hard to have one of those additional stores located in a long-neglected shopping center called Skyland Town Center. The Washington Post reports that Mayor Vincent Gray personally called Walmart U.S. President Bill Simon to see how the city could convince the company to plant a new store there.

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
foolish libtards. How dare they support such an anti-american company.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
If I were running walmart I'd tell all those places that fought them and now want them there to go pound sand. Tell them "you made your bed".

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Back in the boom times urban cities and Walmart were largely inflexible as to their respective requirements, so they got no stores. Time have changed and both parties have learned to be more flexable to make something happen.

Walmart has started to open a number of stores here in the 30ish or less thousand sq ft range mainly to sell groceries/drugs and household stuff. During the last decade they largely abandoned the urban markets to Target who has enjoyed considerable success with large format stores. As a result they essentially have a lock on that kind of big box retailing around here.

DucatiMonster696

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2009
That's dumb. Wallyworld's corporate should do what's best for their shareholders. If building a Walmart there would make them money, they should do it.

Not a fan of Walmart nor the people of Walmart.

http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/

Well given the fact that Walmart stores are usually located within poorer areas with lower income demographics compared to stores such as Costco this means you hate the poor. :p

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
True, but there's also the principle, as well as sending the message that if you fight to prevent them from going in, don't expect them to come in and save your butt later.

Where does the "save your butt" part come into the picture?

KlokWyze

Diamond Member
Sep 7, 2006
www.dogsonacid.com
True, but there's also the principle, as well as sending the message that if you fight to prevent them from going in, don't expect them to come in and save your butt later.

That'll show'em! o_O

Are you actually championing Walmart as a good company? Have you shopped there before? What's funny is that Walmart's prices aren't even great. "OMG, 2 cents of my spaghettios! THANK THE LORD!"

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

If a company should be working on principle, how about hiring a few extra people instead of eliminating jobs....on principle of course.

(not directed at Walmart....any company working on principle).

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
People don't want Walmart because it tends to screw smaller stores that cannot ever hope to compete against it.

alphatarget1

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2001
People don't want Walmart because it tends to screw smaller stores that cannot ever hope to compete against it.

I was against walmart back when I lived in CA because they put a huge ass store somewhere and f*** up traffic as a result. They do hire traffic engineers and sometimes they do expand the roads but it usually isn't adequate.

The ones they build brand new are usually OK, though.

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
If I were running walmart I'd tell all those places that fought them and now want them there to go pound sand. Tell them "you made your bed".

And the shareholders would all praise you for reacting emotionally at the expense of corporate growth.

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
i think people have already forgot what life was like when there were specialty shops everywhere, and anything you wanted you could buy locally and you would not have to last-resort to the internet. good times. nowadays i hardly even bother driving somewhere to shop. just find the piece of shit on amazon and have it personally delivered to your door.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002

and thats fine, if you can't compete, you can't compete.

whats more a problem is their quality. the reason i looked into this is the theory is that walmart gets more for consumers because they research the actual cost of products and pressures suppliers into reducing all the excess profits out of the system so they can get good prices. sounds good, like if nike were supposedly making a 20 dollar shoe and selling it for triple walmart should be able to sell the same shoe for 30 and save americans much money, but it looks like they are just selling junk instead which wastes resources and everyones time.
http://www.trailspace.com/gear/herman/survivor/
you can find reviews for their boots all over...it sounds like they were made as hollywood props..not actual things to wear.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
and thats fine, if you can't compete, you can't compete.

whats more a problem is their quality. the reason i looked into this is the theory is that walmart gets more for consumers because they research the actual cost of products and pressures suppliers into reducing all the excess profits out of the system so they can get good prices. sounds good, like if nike were supposedly making a 20 dollar shoe and selling it for triple walmart should be able to sell the same shoe for 30 and save americans much money, but it looks like they are just selling junk instead which wastes resources and everyones time.
http://www.trailspace.com/gear/herman/survivor/
you can find reviews for their boots all over...it sounds like they were made as hollywood props..not actual things to wear.

Wal Mart = race to the bottom in both quality and wages.