Cities Banning Electronic Cigarettes

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Cigarettes make sense to ban in a lot of public settings because there is a legitimate health risk for those who aren't making the choice to smoke. But since that second hand risk isn't there for e-cigs, banning just makes no sense. It helps a lot of people get away from smoking. If they're going to be forced to go outside anyway, that takes away a lot of the motivation smokers have to move to e-cigs.

The ironic part is I think Texas still allows smoking in the bars. When i was there visiting my sister twice in the last year. When in Ft. Worth there was smoking in the bars. So ban E-Cigs, but allow real smoking? lol

Edit: Ok talking with my sister smoking bans is on a county by county basis.

artvscommerce

Golden Member
Jul 27, 2010
spoken like a true idiot......

Care to elaborate? The point he is making is that it is not smoke. It's just water vapor no different than the someones BO or perfume.

You're using a personal attack on someone when it seems you are the one making a ridiculous comparison.

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net
The ironic part is I think Texas still allows smoking in the bars. When i was there visiting my sister twice in the last year. When in Ft. Worth there was smoking in the bars. So ban E-Cigs, but allow real smoking? lol

Good thing you got that edit in......:p

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
They actually are known; Have you ever been to a concert with a fog machine? It's the same "vapor". All that's in these e-juices are propylene glycol, vegetable glycerin, and food flavorings. These are all things people have been ingesting for years and are known to be safe.

If you think there is a serious concern here you are being manipulated by the misinformation put out there by the media and tobacco lobbyists.

Bottom line- If there's a legit reason to ban it, that's fine; but it shouldn't be compared to smoking. There is no smoke or combustion taking place. If the issue for people is the smell, I find many peoples perfumes or colognes to be far more offensive than most ecig vapor odors.

Cigarettes make sense to ban in a lot of public settings because there is a legitimate health risk for those who aren't making the choice to smoke. But since that second hand risk isn't there for e-cigs, banning just makes no sense. It helps a lot of people get away from smoking. If they're going to be forced to go outside anyway, that takes away a lot of the motivation smokers have to move to e-cigs.

These.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003

It's city by city in Texas. Most cities don't allow smoking in bars. Fort Worth still does, though it's expected to be banned in the next 2 years.

berzerker60

Golden Member
Jul 18, 2012
It's kind of funny, we had to build a social stigma to fight smoking and now it's kind of out of control. I actually don't have a problem with e-cigs around me, whereas I HATE smokers (using cigarettes). Now that we've mostly eliminated the externalities, it's no longer my (or the government's) problem. That's a primary role of government in my mind: limiting externalities that shift the cost of one person's actions onto another, without the person benefiting paying those costs.

Similarly, people can be as racist as they want in private, as long as they don't perpetuate societal racism through things like segregated schools/businesses/government facilities and so forth, thereby pushing the costs of their own desire to feel special and superior to someone onto the minorities they target.

MagickMan

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2008
not true, they still have an odor, not as bad as tobacco, but they still smell. a lot depends on the drops used.

I don't smoke, but my wife uses an e-cig (Blu) and I've not been able to smell them. It's water vapor and evaporates almost instantly and is a damned sight better than the Salems she used to puff on.

MagickMan

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2008
The health effects of second hand vapor are still unknown. Furthermore, I don't like smokers, and I really don't like them playing "gotcha" with a new technology that skirts existing laws. It'd be like if someone invented a ray gun and brought it to school and then shot it around all over the place saying, "Hurr durr, it's not a gun!"

It wouldn't take much of a change to most places' existing laws regarding cigarettes in public spaces. Just make the e-cigs and other vapor devices a kind of cigarette legally.

That's... no, not the same at all, man.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Not all e-cigs are the same and not all are "just water vapor", some have nicotine vapor in them as well. Look it up.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Not all e-cigs are the same and not all are "just water vapor", some have nicotine vapor in them as well. Look it up.

Some smell like marijuana too. Again, the people trying to shove it everyone's faces by "smoking out" the bar.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
But.... Won't someone PLEASE think of the children???!!!

4edd6dbb18613347e3000b36.jpg

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Some smell like marijuana too. Again, the people trying to shove it everyone's faces by "smoking out" the bar.

If it doesn't affect me directly then I have no problem with it.

Fake smelling e-cigs are akin to ladies wearing too much perfume, annoying, and sometimes headache inducing but should they be banned? I don't know but I lean more towards the "no" side. Now if those smells include something that is harmful (no matter how small the dose), then they should be banned.

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
If you're going to accept a ban on smoking in enclosed spaces without separate ventilation, I think you need to apply the same rules to e-cigs until they have been FDA regulated and tested. Right now, it seems like the fluids could contain pretty much anything and we don't know what effects the "vapor" could have based on ingredients.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
If you're going to accept a ban on smoking in enclosed spaces without separate ventilation, I think you need to apply the same rules to e-cigs until they have been FDA regulated and tested. Right now, it seems like the fluids could contain pretty much anything and we don't know what effects the "vapor" could have based on ingredients.

Exactly. Someone could be vaping out mustard gas for all we know. Suicide vapors!

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
The health effects of second hand vapor are still unknown. Furthermore, I don't like smokers, and I really don't like them playing "gotcha" with a new technology that skirts existing laws. It'd be like if someone invented a ray gun and brought it to school and then shot it around all over the place saying, "Hurr durr, it's not a gun!"

same with second-hand smoke from cigarettes, in fact. Despite the FUD that people like to stand behind, there isn't any really good data (meaning:valid) that shows the harmful effects of 2nd hand smoke.

banning personal choice behavior is just plain stupid.

e-cigs consist of nicotine extract and propylene glycol. You are consuming propylene glycol every time you bite into any type of boxed food from the supermarket. The FDA has long approved its use, so this debate over whether they should be regulated due to propylene glycol is just stupid.

MrPickins

Diamond Member
May 24, 2003
same with second-hand smoke from cigarettes, in fact. Despite the FUD that people like to stand behind, there isn't any really good data (meaning:valid) that shows the harmful effects of 2nd hand smoke.

banning personal choice behavior is just plain stupid.

e-cigs consist of nicotine extract and propylene glycol. You are consuming propylene glycol every time you bite into any type of boxed food from the supermarket. The FDA has long approved its use, so this debate over whether they should be regulated due to propylene glycol is just stupid.

This.

All of this.

What I don't understand is why we would want to restrict this alternative that is so much safer than cigarettes. Might as well drive people back to the real thing.

MrPickins

Diamond Member
May 24, 2003
I don't smoke, but my wife uses an e-cig (Blu) and I've not been able to smell them. It's water vapor and evaporates almost instantly and is a damned sight better than the Salems she used to puff on.

I've never once been able to smell the vapor from someone's ecig.

Sounds to me like people are just looking for an excuse to complain...

PhoKingGuy

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2007
Banned at almost every place in downtown san diego worth going to. I approve. You usually get one warning from the bouncer then get kicked out.

leper84

Dec 29, 2011
E-cig vapor should be treated the same as second hand smoke. Its impossible to absorb all of the nicotine without holding your breath till you pass out. Not to mention there is no information health effects from the rest of the liquid.

I think its pretty damn inconsiderate, selfish and ignorant for people to use them inside just because it isn't a cigarette.

I smoked for almost 20 years and just switched over to an ecig to help quit recently. I go outside.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Yes! Let's ban everything that is mildly annoying to us!

I say we start with you.

Pffft. I'm an institution around here. As destructive as I might be, I'm not going away anytime soon. I'm kinda fun in small doses, but I'll make you sick if you have too much, and I might make you make some bad decisions. I'm like alcohol.