Citibike is 10 years old. A big hell yeah to that

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Ten years ago in this car-centric country, Citibike was launched. In too many places the car is king and Americans ignore alternative modes of transit like mass transit and bicycles. it's time to move forward and Citibike has been a big part of that around here. This is a great article with fantastic quotes about the history and success of Citibike. A program whose main issue is not being able to expand and provide service fast enough because of how popular and essential it has become. After a nice ride around Manhattan today, it's just amazing how efficient a bike ride is in many areas. Although I had to deal with more idiot drivers today than usual, overall riding in the area has been one of the best things I've done in the last decade plus.

I have seen young women in dresses and nice shoes on Citibikes pedaling to go out on a weekend evening, people in suits, people in flip flops, workers, old people, young people, people from every walk of life. Everybody uses it. I have seen the bike infrastructure grow exponentially and it is pretty amazing to behold. But still there are many communities that are totally not served or underserved by these types of systems. Always poorer and more minority areas, so still a long way to go but there is progress every day.

Here's to Citibike and to other cities and areas finding alternative means of transportation to reduce the insane total reliance on cars that is pervasive in many areas where it does not have to be.

Kate Fillin-Yeh: The media coverage was predicting a huge fight. But NYC DOT launched the most intensive community-engagement process the city had ever seen: public demonstrations, public meetings, big hands-on workshops where people could look at the maps and tell us where stations would work in their neighborhoods. I remember the first of those workshops: lots of reporters everywhere. The doors open and people start to walk in and sit down and talk; they’re putting stickers down on the map where they’d like to have a bike dock. It just flowed. No fights. We looked at the headlines the next day and one from WNYC was “Calm Reigns at First Planning Meeting.”

Janette Sadik-Khan: There are now 1,500 miles of bike lanes. 400,000 people ride a bike in New York City daily, triple the number of vehicles that use the BQE.

Jon Orcutt, former NYC DOT policy director: We released the request for proposals for a 10,000-bike system just before Thanksgiving 2010. That was in the depths of New York’s “bike-lash,” when the tabloids would inflate any complaint or misinformation about bike lanes into a story. That we went forward at scale in that moment is a huge testament to the leadership of both Janette Sadik-Khan and Mayor Bloomberg.

Janette Sadik-Khan: Virtually every fear was unfounded. People took to Citi Bike like it was something that had been a part of the city forever. It was four years before a tragic death occurred on the system, the first in 43 million trips.

Alex Engel, former NYC DOT community coordinator: Citi Bike really opened eyes up as to how bikes can be a means of transportation, not just recreation. I think it’s safe to say that Citi Bike built a lot of political support for more bike lanes, more bike routes, and drove a lot of demand for higher-quality infrastructure.

Doug Gordon: I remember at one point docking a bike on Carmine Street in the West Village when I noticed a couple struggling to take a bike out — you used to need to lift the seat and pull to release a bike, a movement that wasn’t all that intuitive. It was the actor Hugh Jackman and his wife, Deborra Lee-Furness. I offered to help; I can still hear Hugh saying, “Thanks, mate” in his Australian accent. Only in New York, kids, only in New York.

Kate Fillin-Yeh: I don’t think I expected just how much a part of New York City daily life Citi Bike would become: a little kid learning to ride with their parent following on a Citi Bike; a lady in a nice suit and heels biking down Broadway; a construction guy heading home.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
i've never rented a bike or an e-scooter.
if i needed to go somewhere that i didnt want to walk or drive (parking issues), i'd get an Uber.

in brooklyn, ny can you ride an e-scooter rental on the sidewalk?

I do want to try an electric nine-bot with go-kart kit but will they fit in a nyc bike lane?
81QxeiMthyL.jpg

citymate-gokart-kit-race-car-ninebot-mini-sari-1282-15-K.jpg

Last edited:

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
IIRC, the bike share program(s) in Seattle died too. (Not that I live in Seattle...nor would I ride a bike, but the taxpayers got fleeced once again.)

Last edited:

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
And in Minneapolis, the no. 1 or no. 2 bike city in the nation depending on how you rank it, the Nice Ride bike share is officially dead.

"Unless new sponsors and funding can be found to replace what Nice Ride lost when Blue Cross withdrew its longstanding support, the rideshare that started it all has shared its last ride in the Twin Cities."

This is exactly what is fucked up about many areas in this country. This program relies on private sponsorship when it is providing a public service. Our public dollars go to tons of shit for cars, but fuck alternative transportation like bicycles. What a shame. Citibike is also sponsored, if Lyft pulls out of Citibike, then it could be a shit show. Why should something so integral to the functioning of a city be beholden to the whims of a sponsor?

Reactions: Zorba

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Lime Bike is still a thing AFAIK.
Ah, so it is. Wasn't long ago, they were on the verge of folding. Looks like there's also a new player in town, Veo.
I can't imagine riding a bike in Seattle. Those fckn hills are killers.

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
"Unless new sponsors and funding can be found to replace what Nice Ride lost when Blue Cross withdrew its longstanding support, the rideshare that started it all has shared its last ride in the Twin Cities."

This is exactly what is fucked up about many areas in this country. This program relies on private sponsorship when it is providing a public service. Our public dollars go to tons of shit for cars, but fuck alternative transportation like bicycles. What a shame. Citibike is also sponsored, if Lyft pulls out of Citibike, then it could be a shit show. Why should something so integral to the functioning of a city be beholden to the whims of a sponsor?
Seems to me like bike shares are basically just another form of public transit, so they should be funded with a combination of membership and rental revenue and local taxes (property, sales, etc.).

96Firebird

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 2010
I love bikeshare, I've used it in many different cities. This year alone I used it in NYC (Citibike) for about 4 miles, Boston (Blue Bikes) for a 14 mile ride along the river, and DC (Capital Bikeshare) for short trips when I don't want to lock up my own bike there.

The NYC ride was a little pricey at $12, but it was probably because I was out for a while just tailing my GF who was going on a run. The Boston ride was free because they had a free adventure pass since I was there the weekend of the marathon.

I see people use the Capital Bikeshare bikes all the time, and they recently deployed some new gen2 e-bikes that I guess are much better than gen1. E-scooters are also very popular in DC, except a little annoying that they are just randomly dropped wherever a person's trip ended.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Seems to me like bike shares are basically just another form of public transit, so they should be funded with a combination of membership and rental revenue and local taxes (property, sales, etc.).
A fuckin' men to that

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I love bikeshare, I've used it in many different cities. This year alone I used it in NYC (Citibike) for about 4 miles, Boston (Blue Bikes) for a 14 mile ride along the river, and DC (Capital Bikeshare) for short trips when I don't want to lock up my own bike there.

The NYC ride was a little pricey at $12, but it was probably because I was out for a while just tailing my GF who was going on a run. The Boston ride was free because they had a free adventure pass since I was there the weekend of the marathon.

I see people use the Capital Bikeshare bikes all the time, and they recently deployed some new gen2 e-bikes that I guess are much better than gen1. E-scooters are also very popular in DC, except a little annoying that they are just randomly dropped wherever a person's trip ended.

That is exactly correct. $4.49 will get you a 30 minute ride on a regular bike (not e-bike) and then it's per minute. If you have a citibike membership, you get 45 minute rides included. Citibike's purpose is to give people transit options, for business or pleasure, but to get from point A to point B, so it's not for really touring around. Some people do, you just ride from dock to dock and dock every 30-45 minutes depending. You can do that though. I've ridden with people who do. I'm not sure if they penalize you after X back to back immediate rides in a row. I rode with someone who docked twice, then just popped out another bike.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
And randomly a new weekly ridership record. Almost 900,000 rides in a week in New York City on City bike.

And there are still so many underserved parts of the city. When city bike is fully fleshed out they'll be well over a million rides a week.

Now that's fucking mass transit.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
And randomly a new weekly ridership record. Almost 900,000 rides in a week in New York City on City bike.

And there are still so many underserved parts of the city. When city bike is fully fleshed out they'll be well over a million rides a week.

Now that's fucking mass transit.

how profitable is Citibike?
ie: Uber is still losing $. it has NEVER made a profit. surprised investors are still pumping $ into it

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
how profitable is Citibike?
ie: Uber is still losing $. it has NEVER made a profit. surprised investors are still pumping $ into it
Citibike is a public private partnership. Lots of sponsorship from Citigroup and Lyft runs the service I think. The city does not run Citibike.

Regardless, Citibike shouldn't have to make profit. It's an essential public service in regards to transit. It should have more government involvement in order to help facilitate more expansion in underserved areas for example (and also to bring some costs down, such as the per minute e-bike ones). The least served communities (poorer) tend to be transit deserts as it is as well, so it's a double whammy.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Citibike is a public private partnership. Lots of sponsorship from Citigroup and Lyft runs the service I think. The city does not run Citibike.

Regardless, Citibike shouldn't have to make profit. It's an essential public service in regards to transit. It should have more government involvement in order to help facilitate more expansion in underserved areas for example (and also to bring some costs down, such as the per minute e-bike ones). The least served communities (poorer) tend to be transit deserts as it is as well, so it's a double whammy.
yeah, lack of mass transit is not a desirable place to live thus why it's cheaper there.

but how can the poor afford citibike?
heck, you're also assuming people in the poorer communities also has a smart phone and credit card.

and per minute for e-scooters? no flat rate like citibike? :(
pass

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
yeah, lack of mass transit is not a desirable place to live thus why it's cheaper there.

heck, you're also assuming people in the poorer communities also has a smart phone and credit card.

pass

Cash-free utilities are a concern kept in mind, hence why the new contactless OMNY system for the MTA will also have OMNY cards you can buy with cash. However it really is a very small segment of the population that does not have a cell phone and a debit card - same as cash if you have a checking account. Plenty of poor people have both.

Also, there are no e-scooters. E-scooters you don't pedal. There are E-bike pedal assist bikes, and those are per minute, where the e motor kicks in as you pedal with a big boost. so either way you have to pedal. But the plan is to have the city get involved and help subsidize some of the costs for this amazing public utility.

Some people are too lazy to pedal though no matter what. Fat Americans are a thing. However, you don't see as many fatsos around here. People walk and bike every day like it's normal. And they don't get big gulps and shit.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999

Yup, cars are subsidized to the gills, but every other form of transportation must be be "self supporting."

Reactions: Brainonska511

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999

pass
How do the poor afford a car? Renting a bike is much cheaper than anything to do with a car.

Paying for public transportation is one of the biggest friction points of public transportation and should be done away with. If the roads aren't rolled, neither should be the busses and trains.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
How do the poor afford a car? Renting a bike is much cheaper than anything to do with a car.

Paying for public transportation is one of the biggest friction points of public transportation and should be done away with. If the roads aren't rolled, neither should be the busses and trains.
They're running a trial of that where I live, the bus system is free.

Reactions: Ken g6 and Zorba
Dec 10, 2005
In a world of tradeoffs, and considering that large transit systems get a substantial chunk of their operating budget from fare recovery, I'd rather have a nominal fare and money go towards better service over free fares.

I also just see the general *voting* public being like, "you have a free bus that comes every 30 minutes, what more do you want?" if fares were free.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
In a world of tradeoffs, and considering that large transit systems get a substantial chunk of their operating budget from fare recovery, I'd rather have a nominal fare and money go towards better service over free fares.

I also just see the general *voting* public being like, "you have a free bus that comes every 30 minutes, what more do you want?" if fares were free.
Charging creates a lot of friction because every system is done differently, and usually very poorly on busses. Maintaining the payment systems adds cost, maintenance, and most importantly slows the system down. It also creates an expectation that systems should be paying for themselves.

Dec 10, 2005
Charging creates a lot of friction because every system is done differently, and usually very poorly on busses. Maintaining the payment systems adds cost, maintenance, and most importantly slows the system down. It also creates an expectation that systems should be paying for themselves.
Buses can be sped up with proof of payment systems, where fares are collected off board, or you have tapping all-door boarding. That should dramatically improve the speed of boarding.

And though you create that expectation that it should pay for itself by charging, you'd have to find a way to plug that hole with state legislatures that are often unwilling to give transit agencies spanning many municipalities the funds they really need.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
what's the BQE?
I'm sorry I don't know any of the NYC acronyms. It helps the rest of us to just type out the words, please.
I used all the bikes in Seattle at least once, but that was way back in 2018. Then I started bringing my own on the train.

Dec 10, 2005
what's the BQE?
I'm sorry I don't know any of the NYC acronyms. It helps the rest of us to just type out the words, please.
I used all the bikes in Seattle at least once, but that was way back in 2018. Then I started bringing my own on the train.
BQE = Brooklyn-Queens Expressway, aka the part of I-278 in the NY/NJ area that runs through the aforementioned boroughs.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
LOL I just realized I was on it in November. I was white knuckling through there towing a 102" wide car trailer.
You know how you block out a traumatic memory ?
yeah, that.
My wife is asking me who was helping navigate through NYC.
Nobody helped me. All the people who said they would help navigate that traffic shithole bailed.
I had the worst co-pilot, she started stressing out and I had to remind her *I* was doing the driving. I can laugh now.

Reactions: nakedfrog