Citibank credit cards and virtual account numbers

arcas

Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2001
Before I sign up for a Citibank card, can someone with a Citi card verify for me that their "virtual numbers" feature doesn't require the cardholder to use a particular operating system? The old Amex "Private Payments" was just a web page. Is Citibank's setup similar?

GundamW

Golden Member
Feb 3, 2000
Originally posted by: arcas
Before I sign up for a Citibank card, can someone with a Citi card verify for me that their "virtual numbers" feature doesn't require the cardholder to use a particular operating system? The old Amex "Private Payments" was just a web page. Is Citibank's setup similar?

They have the Webpage version and also the application download version. I always use the Webpage version. And I use Win2K and XP.
One thing I found out is that I can't use Mozilla 1.x or Firefox 1.0 with the virtual numbers page. I get to the point where a window pop-up and that's it. It displays the username and password fields but I can't type anything in. I have to use IE 6 for it to work. Don't know why that is and didn't bother to look further. So just a warning.

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
Launch it from our website if:

? websiteYou're at work or use multiple computers.
? You want to copy and paste your Virtual Account Number and billing information into the merchant's form.
? You're on a Macintosh/other operating system.

*System Requirements
Flash 6.4 or higher (Flash 7.0 for Mac OS X), plus Internet access with ONE of the following browsers:

* AOL 6.0 or higher
* Internet Explorer 5.0 or higher (Windows 95 and NT also work with IE 4.0)
* Windows (95, 98, 2000, NT) with Netscape 4.72 and 4.74
* Mac OS 9.0 with Netscape 4.76 and 4.7

I use WinXP + FireFox works fine. DiscoverCard has the same thing.

vegetation

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2001
Originally posted by: arcas

Uses Flash, so it's a bit more of a PITA than a normal web page.

arcas

Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2001
Thanks for the responses. I'm glad to see that it's tied to a stand-alone windows application. I'd hate to have to fire up the game machine every time I want to buy something online.