Cisco Certification exam questions

dtmbb92

May 4, 2003
Has anyone taken the exam..if so is it hard and do you have any tips or pointers on how to go about taking it?

Kevin

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2002
I heard its hard, not just multiple choice like the semester tests. Some questions have multiple answers, and there are some interactive labs with subnet masks and stuff.

ScottMac

Moderator<br>Networking<br>Elite member
Mar 19, 2001
It varies alot from test-to-test. Many of the multiple choice questions will give you, say, eight answers ... then ask you to choose all that apply (could be one answer, could be four, could be six). There is no partial credit, if you don't choose all that apply, or you choose too many, the question is wrong.

The last couple I've taken have drag & drop answers; i.e., "put the OSI stack in the correct order, starting at layer one at the bottom." Then you click & drag the labels onto the answer box.

Many of the tests now have simulators. You are given a diagram of a couple routers and a switch, then you are asked to configure some parameters to make some function work. NOTE: DO NOT use abbreviations (use "IP ADDRESS 10.10.10.10 255.255.255.0", not "IP ADDR 10.10.10.10 255.255.255.0").

Lower tests that include subnetting will ask what subnet host a.b.c.d/26 is in, how many hosts operate in a.b.c.d/28, or subnet this Class B address so that you have X number networks capable of supporting Y number of hosts (it'll be a story problem, and most of the masks per location will be different).

The troubleshooting tests have lots of "Which debug command would you use to find this information"

In many of the tests, there are questions about which cable (straight-through or crossover, Rolled, etc).

Many of the tests ask specific product questions ("Which router /switch would be best for this circumstance" kind of questions).

There seems to be a lot of routing protocol questions ... for the NP routing tests, EIGRP, BGP, OSPF, and ISIS are getting more playtime.

The bottom line is that it will be much harder to choose the right answers unless you're familiar with the material. Experience is always helpful. None of the practice tests are exactly like the real test, but generally, if you can score in the 90s on the practice test consistantly, you're likely to walk out with at least a passing score from the real test.

Good Luck, Study hard.

Scott

Vortex22

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2000
I took the classes in high school and did very well, but failed the CCNA exam :(

We never really went over switches too much, just focused on routers mostly in the class. I know they're close to the same, but there seemed to be 2x as many questions about configuring switches as there were about routers on the test.