• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Cindy McCain's outfit at RNC cost $313,000

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Moderator
Aug 23, 2003
25,375
141
116
Originally posted by: Jaskalas
Originally posted by: palehorse
Originally posted by: jpeyton
Interesting that McCain still takes a $58,000 pension even though he and his wife are worth over $100 million, and yet he boasts on the campaign trail that he'd make his "well-to-do" cabinet members work without salary.

More of the same.
He earned that pension through honorable service to his country as a Naval Officer. Why the hell should he give it up?!

Would you strip any other veteran of their well-earned pension!? :confused:
That is an interesting question.

Should millionaires be able to collect from the government?
Are you asking me personally?

Absolutely. Any work they do, they should collect compensation for.

It is McCain who said in a stump speech that he would make his well-to-do cabinet members work without collecting a salary.

So he believes millionaires should not collect from the government, while he still does.
 

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
11,521
0
76
Originally posted by: jpeyton
Originally posted by: palehorse
Originally posted by: jpeyton
Originally posted by: palehorse
Originally posted by: jpeyton
Interesting that McCain still takes a $58,000 pension even though he and his wife are worth over $100 million, and yet he boasts on the campaign trail that he'd make his "well-to-do" cabinet members work without salary.

More of the same.
He earned that pension through honorable service to his country as a Naval Officer. Why the hell should he give it up?!
If someone works hard in his administration, why should he make them give up their paycheck?

Another ride on the McCain double-talk express.
You didn't answer my questions.

So?
McCain already answered your question. He said people in his administration should NOT be rewarded for their hard work with a salary if they're well-to-do, yet he still draws a pension paycheck even though his family's net worth is $100+ million.
WTF does one have to do with the other?! I asked why/if you advocate stripping veterans -- rich or poor -- of their rightful pensions.

Veteran pensions are earned you dolt; and their payment is not dependent upon the financial status of the recipient.

Your logic is broken, and your communist belief in the redistribution of wealth is fucked. There is absolutely no connection between McCain's own veteran pension and his intention to have the Cabinet work for free.
 

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
9,299
137
106
Originally posted by: LumbergTech
i dont really care about the dress but it does sort of fly in the face of how they are trying to use palin to make themselves look more humble
agree
 

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
18,251
5
0
McCain's wife is worth $100 million. Have no idea how much he is worth though since he signed a pre-nub that keeps their finances separate.

And JP, have you ever complained Herb Kohl, John Kerry, Jay Rockefeller or Dianne Feinstein taking salaries since they are all worth over $50 million??
 

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
73,140
24,715
136
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
McCain's wife is worth $100 million. Have no idea how much he is worth though since he signed a pre-nub that keeps their finances separate.

And JP, have you ever complained Herb Kohl, John Kerry, Jay Rockefeller or Dianne Feinstein taking salaries since they are all worth over $50 million??
I think the whole point is that it's funny for these people to be complaining about Obama being an elitist while wearing $200,000 earrings.
 

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
10,518
271
136
A non-issue, definitely. But also one Obama would be stupid not to use to his advantage. I'd put McCain's 7 houses gaffe, an estimation of networth ($100M+), and then this little factoid into an attack ad in key batteground states. I'd put a lot of money into this, as the false notion that Bush was a common man was one key reason why people voted for him. Highlight the fact that Obama and Biden's combined networth is less than 1% of McCain's or something.
 

tk149

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2002
7,256
1
0
Originally posted by: Evan Lieb
A non-issue, definitely. But also one Obama would be stupid not to use to his advantage. I'd put McCain's 7 houses gaffe, an estimation of networth ($100M+), and then this little factoid into an attack ad in key batteground states. I'd put a lot of money into this, as the false notion that Bush was a common man was one key reason why people voted for him. Highlight the fact that Obama and Biden's combined networth is less than 1% of McCain's or something.
How about the fact that Obama's cashing in on his career. His book made $4 million last year? Maybe not a $100 million, but still more than 99% of all Americans. Obama definitely isn't a "common man" either. One could argue that that means more to Democrats than Republicans.
 

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
9,567
5
81
Originally posted by: Double Trouble
Originally posted by: deftron
Link



And she's asking us to donate more to Hurrican Gustav victims ...


I guess when you're "middle class" making upwards to $5,000,000 a year, that's chump change.

Wonder how much she donated
I don't care if she spend $10,000,000,000 on her outfit and her earrings, it's her money and she gets to spend it any way she sees fit. It has absolutely nothing to do with McCain being (un)fit for the presidency.
In one sense it does: McCain has chosen as his wife a woman who thinks it's peachy to wear $280,000 earrings. I myself cannot imagine wanting to be married - let alone to even date - someone with values like that. So what does it say about McCain that he made this choice?
 

TechAZ

Golden Member
Sep 8, 2007
1,188
0
71
Originally posted by: shira
Originally posted by: Double Trouble
Originally posted by: deftron
Link



And she's asking us to donate more to Hurrican Gustav victims ...


I guess when you're "middle class" making upwards to $5,000,000 a year, that's chump change.

Wonder how much she donated
I don't care if she spend $10,000,000,000 on her outfit and her earrings, it's her money and she gets to spend it any way she sees fit. It has absolutely nothing to do with McCain being (un)fit for the presidency.
In one sense it does: McCain has chosen as his wife a woman who thinks it's peachy to wear $280,000 earrings. I myself cannot imagine wanting to be married - let alone to even date - someone with values like that. So what does it say about McCain that he made this choice?
It's not "peachy"? Maybe you can define what's acceptable for people to spend their money on.

 

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
18,251
5
0
Originally posted by: Evan Lieb
A non-issue, definitely. But also one Obama would be stupid not to use to his advantage. I'd put McCain's 7 houses gaffe, an estimation of networth ($100M+), and then this little factoid into an attack ad in key batteground states. I'd put a lot of money into this, as the false notion that Bush was a common man was one key reason why people voted for him. Highlight the fact that Obama and Biden's combined networth is less than 1% of McCain's or something.
From CNN
Sen. Barack Obama, D-Illinois, reported assets of between $456,000 and $1.1 million, making it unclear if he is a millionaire. He and his wife had total income of $984,000 in 2006, including $567,000 in royalties for two books he has written. In 2005, Obama received a $1.9 million book advance.
Not like the guy is poor.

I am sure Biden and Palin are by far the poorest of the four.

Why does this matter though? When did being rich become a crime? And how many jobs does Cindy' McCain provide through the beer distributor?
 

OneOfTheseDays

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2000
7,052
0
0
The only reason Democrats point out these HYPOCRISIES on the right is precisely because the RIGHT makes such a big stink about them. If they left well enough alone, AS THEY SHOULD, nobody would give a fuck.

That's the problem with the right. They are fucking hyprocrites in just about everything imaginable. Fake fucking phonies. I've never seen such outrage amongst my independent friends as after the RNC, they were literally exasperated as to how a political party could so blatantly lie and distort the truth. They aren't even trying anymore.
 

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
10,518
271
136
Originally posted by: tk149
Originally posted by: Evan Lieb
A non-issue, definitely. But also one Obama would be stupid not to use to his advantage. I'd put McCain's 7 houses gaffe, an estimation of networth ($100M+), and then this little factoid into an attack ad in key batteground states. I'd put a lot of money into this, as the false notion that Bush was a common man was one key reason why people voted for him. Highlight the fact that Obama and Biden's combined networth is less than 1% of McCain's or something.
How about the fact that Obama's cashing in on his career. His book made $4 million last year? Maybe not a $100 million, but still more than 99% of all Americans. Obama definitely isn't a "common man" either. One could argue that that means more to Democrats than Republicans.
Probably more important to Republicans than Dems, they run on small town values more than the Dems do and really like to play it up in their candidates. If the Dems obfuscate enough they could get away with that pretty easily, as McCain is obscenely rich unlike this year's Dem candidates. Especially in regards to Biden himself, which would purely be a strategy aimed up locking up PA (which is likely Dem anyway), but also trying to reach older Floridian voters who are more traditional. Biden doesn't come off nearly as Washington old-style politics as much sharply and definitively as someone like, say, Kennedy.
 

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
54,894
46
91
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Craig234
Originally posted by: Double Trouble
Originally posted by: deftron
Link



And she's asking us to donate more to Hurrican Gustav victims ...


I guess when you're "middle class" making upwards to $5,000,000 a year, that's chump change.

Wonder how much she donated
I don't care if she spend $10,000,000,000 on her outfit and her earrings, it's her money and she gets to spend it any way she sees fit. It has absolutely nothing to do with McCain being (un)fit for the presidency.
Republicans are constantly trying to create political issues around any democrat who has much money (and any who don't, for that matter, too).

Pointing out the same about them, countering their propaganda and pointing out the hypocrisy, is appropriate.

That may be all that's appropriate about it - rich people can be good or bad leaders - but that's still a good reason as long as they're trying the attacks on wealthy democrats.

How much crap did they put out about Kerry marrying rich that now they say the opposite when it comes to McCain?
Absolutely.

I am glad to see the left hammering the right on this finally but may be too little too late.

The American sheeple are still enamored with the perceived good "ethics" of the right eventhough it is obviously a deception.
 

SlickSnake

Diamond Member
May 29, 2007
5,237
2
0
I could by 3130 suits at the Mens Warehouse for that kind of scratch!

I bet McCain's gold plated walker cost less than that!

Uh, oh. I just looked and my post was 66 and 666 views, what does that mean???

 

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
32,539
260
126
Originally posted by: OneOfTheseDays
The only reason Democrats point out these HYPOCRISIES on the right is precisely because the RIGHT makes such a big stink about them. If they left well enough alone, AS THEY SHOULD, nobody would give a fuck.

That's the problem with the right. They are fucking hyprocrites in just about everything imaginable. Fake fucking phonies. I've never seen such outrage amongst my independent friends as after the RNC, they were literally exasperated as to how a political party could so blatantly lie and distort the truth. They aren't even trying anymore.
I'm going to go on a limb and say your definition of "independent friends" is just a wee bit different from what most of us would call them.


So how about a rundown on how all these outraged people responded when the previouis democratic nominee had married his own Ms. Moneybags. I'm sure this universal front being shown for such an aggregious act isn't being done just out of partisanship.
 

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
9,299
137
106
Originally posted by: eskimospy
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
McCain's wife is worth $100 million. Have no idea how much he is worth though since he signed a pre-nub that keeps their finances separate.

And JP, have you ever complained Herb Kohl, John Kerry, Jay Rockefeller or Dianne Feinstein taking salaries since they are all worth over $50 million??
I think the whole point is that it's funny for these people to be complaining about Obama being an elitist while wearing $200,000 earrings.
exactly. With McCain going around calling Obama elitist, I wonder what his wife is thinking???

What is the level above elitist? Untouchable?
 

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
42,816
83
91
Originally posted by: shira
Originally posted by: Double Trouble
Originally posted by: deftron
Link



And she's asking us to donate more to Hurrican Gustav victims ...


I guess when you're "middle class" making upwards to $5,000,000 a year, that's chump change.

Wonder how much she donated
I don't care if she spend $10,000,000,000 on her outfit and her earrings, it's her money and she gets to spend it any way she sees fit. It has absolutely nothing to do with McCain being (un)fit for the presidency.
In one sense it does: McCain has chosen as his wife a woman who thinks it's peachy to wear $280,000 earrings. I myself cannot imagine wanting to be married - let alone to even date - someone with values like that. So what does it say about McCain that he made this choice?
it's a stupid argument.

not only do we have no idea if she actually owns the earrings or if they were on loan, we have no idea how much she paid for them and how their value may have increased in the time she's owned them.
 

Druidx

Platinum Member
Jul 16, 2002
2,971
0
76
Originally posted by: shira
In one sense it does: McCain has chosen as his wife a woman who thinks it's peachy to wear $280,000 earrings. I myself cannot imagine wanting to be married - let alone to even date - someone with values like that. So what does it say about McCain that he made this choice?
I guess that means you also question Obama's judgment for marrying a women who wasn't proud of her country.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY