How I feel about cilantro or licorice:

• I like/indifferent to the taste of cilantro and I like/indifferent to the taste of licorice.

Votes: 22 50.0%
  • I like or am indifferent to the taste of cilantro and I can't stand the taste of licorice.

Votes: 11 25.0%
  • I can't stand the taste of cilantro and I like or am indifferent to the taste of licorice.

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • I can't stand the taste of cilantro and I can't stand the taste of licorice.

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • I'm a raging moron.

Votes: 1 2.3%

• Total voters

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Some folks really hate the taste of cilantro and/or licorice. The disgust for cilantro appears to have a genetic component where the person hating cilantro really does taste it differently than folks who like or are indifferent to the taste. I don't know if there are any studies on licorice hating. So, a poll.

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
I enjoy cilantro (don't get the soap taste that many do) and I recall hating licorice, however it has been many many years (probably 20 or so) since I've had black licorice and my taste could have changed.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I love cilantro and licorice. I wish licorice was more popular in the US. Hard to really find aside from those awful licorice whips. Good & Plenty is probably the premiere licorice that can be halfway easy to find.

edit:
opened this box last night...

IMG_20210318_113911.jpg

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
I dig cilantro but completely despise licorice. Licorice is gross, especially black licorice. Oddly, I don't mind jagermeister though.

Reactions: BudAshes

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I like cilantro, don't mind licorice as long as you don't try to pass it as candy.

Reactions: BudAshes

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I'm not sure of my opinion on cilantro, but I love black licorice.
I can see if my partner has cilantro on hand and give it a try.
I love cilantro and licorice. I wish licorice was more popular in the US. Hard to really find aside from those awful licorice whips. Good & Plenty is probably the premiere licorice that can be halfway easy to find.

edit:
opened this box last night...

View attachment 41356
Panda licorice is usually fairly easy to find.

Reactions: esquared

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Forgot about Panda. I guess that counts as common. There's also the Aussie style licorice. I've had a couple good brands, and it's pretty common at the dollar store.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Cilantro is a delicious herb, black licorice is nasty. I can enjoy food that has a hint of star anise in it, for example. As long as it's not overpowering. I mean pho is heavenly, and that has some star anise in it.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Cilantro is a delicious herb, black licorice is nasty. I can enjoy food that has a hint of star anise in it, for example. As long as it's not overpowering. I mean pho is heavenly, and that has some star anise in it.

Pho has cilantro. I am not sure there is star anise.

Last edited:

Leymenaide

Feb 16, 2010
Dutch salt licorice as effective as three fingers of scotch for sore throat just not quite as pleasing

1616088417167.png

• Haha
Reactions: KMFJD

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I wonder if anyone still makes it with licorice root? I remember when the FDA warned “Glycyrrhizin can cause potassium levels in the body to fall. When that happens, some people experience abnormal heart rhythms, as well as high blood pressure, edema (swelling), lethargy, and congestive heart failure.”

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Forgot about Panda. I guess that counts as common. There's also the Aussie style licorice. I've had a couple good brands, and it's pretty common at the dollar store.
we used to have Y&S licorice candy in cigar and pipe form. It was discontinued by Hershey's back in 2019. It was the old fashioned style of licorice.

1616089315374.jpeg

There is Darrel Lea soft black licorice which is very good.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I wonder if anyone still makes it with licorice root? I remember when the FDA warned “Glycyrrhizin can cause potassium levels in the body to fall. When that happens, some people experience abnormal heart rhythms, as well as high blood pressure, edema (swelling), lethargy, and congestive heart failure.”
Panda black licorice is made from just four ingredients—molasses, wheat flour, licorice extract, and aniseed oil—which are slow cooked into a dough, then pressed into shape.
:)

Edit: oh yeah, I recently encountered pontefract cakes for the first time in a Rocket Fizz candy store, I enjoyed them, a different flavor than Panda for sure, but still containing licorice goodness.
Ingredients: Treacle; glucose syrup; sugar; starch; caramelised sugar syrup; wheat flour; gelatine; liquorice extract (4.5 %); salt; glazing agents: beeswax, carnauba wax.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Don't see my choice, which is love cilantro and somewhat dislike licorice. Eat a lot of coriander too, might as well since it is leftover seed from the cilantro I grow every year.

A couple things I've learned about the cilantro and coriander are, if you're going to dehydrate excess for later, don't just hang or fan airflow dry it or you will lose more color and flavor. Dried, it already loses ~70% of the flavor and essence but you really want low heat from a dehydrator, and take the larger stem pieces out - they are edible but take much longer than the leaves and finer attachment stem pieces. Dry larger stems separately or discard. I don't mean the main trunk, which is inedible.

Coriander, don't put the husks in your food! They stay woody and never fully break down from cooking. Grind it into a fine mesh strainer and discard the larger husk pieces. Requires a grinder that can be set coarse.

Cheaper coriander you buy at the store, has the husks ground up too, so slightly more use for your money but meh, better if they weren't in it. Cilantro is so easy to grow that i see no need to eat husks, pretty much self seeds and becomes invasive if you don't limit it spreading.

Last edited:

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Don't see my choice, which is love cilantro and somewhat dislike licorice. Eat a lot of coriander too, might as well since it is leftover seed from the cilantro I grow every year.

A couple things I've learned about the cilantro and coriander are, if you're going to dehydrate excess for later, don't just hang or fan airflow dry it or you will lose more color and flavor. Dried, it already loses ~70% of the flavor and essence but you really want low heat from a dehydrator, and take the larger stem pieces out - they are edible but take much longer than the leaves and finer attachment stem pieces. Dry larger stems separately or discard. I don't mean the main trunk, which is inedible.

Coriander, don't put the husks in your food! They stay woody and never fully break down from cooking. Grind it into a fine mesh strainer and discard the husks. Cheap coriander you buy atthe store, has the husks ground up too, so slightly more taste for your money but meh, better if they weren't in it.
the first choice fits your opinion best.

Stopsignhank

Platinum Member
Mar 1, 2014
Cilantro is vile and should not be used. I have not had licorice in 20 years or more so could not tell you if I like it or not.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
the first choice fits your opinion best.
Still not right, because I'd rather not eat licorice yet don't hate it, so not quite polar opposites but more so than any choice in favor of cilantro.

I don't really see why these two are grouped together, don't taste that similar to me.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
As a Korean and what I've seen from fellow Koreans, cilantro is typically repulsive to their palate. This is well known because we love Vietnamese food (Pho), and most Koreans who are new to Viet cuisine can't get over the cilantro's bizarre & soapy taste profile.

I got used to it.

I really don't care for licorice.. neither like or dislike.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Still not right, because I'd rather not eat licorice yet don't hate it, so not quite polar opposites but more so than any choice in favor of cilantro.

I don't really see why these two are grouped together, don't taste that similar to me.
I think he's covering the 2 most opinionated foods.

you are indifferent to licorice and like cilantro.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
^ It's not indifferent to prefer not to eat it. Cloves on the other hand, even the smell makes me nauseous.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
Being Danish means growing up with licorice it is very yummy. Cilantro tastes like soap, but for some reason I like it.