CIGNA vs United Healthcare

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by apac, Jan 18, 2007.

1. apac

apac Diamond Member

Any glaring differences between them? The plans look nearly identical (at least in the docs my company provided).

2. mzkhadir

mzkhadir Diamond Member

I have used united before and had no problems.

Where is the poll ?

3. goatjc

goatjc Senior member

I've used United and never had any problems. . .when I went to visit doctors the nurses were always like "yes, united, we like united." Never heard much of Cigna though.

4. SearchMaster

SearchMaster Diamond Member

I've been happy with UHC. They have a lot of nice features, such as online prescription renewals, debit card against flexible spending account (if you have a 125K plan with them as well), etc. I've never had Cigna but UHC is by far the best health insurer I've had in my 18+ years of employment.

5. EKKC

EKKC Diamond Member

i would pick uhc
    but go cigna, my company just signed a consulting contract with them. rofl.

6. DaveJ

DaveJ Platinum Member

I've had both (United a few years ago, just switched to Cigna this year), and I haven't had any problems with either.

Dave

7. 50cent1228

50cent1228 Platinum Member

united health care is what i use

8. Scarpozzi

Scarpozzi Lifer

United just bought John Deere. I hope they're good because I'm on them.

Cigna's got tons of offices a few blocks from here...I've heard good things.

To be honest about it though, no one knows if the companies are good or not. It really depends on your employer and the deal they make. If you work for a small company, you're probably going to get hosed because group insurance is based on the number of participants. Of course, depending on the business, it could go either way for you. The real question is what does your preference primary care physician accept....

9. Uppsala9496

Uppsala9496 Diamond Member

If the plans are identical for the most part, you can't go wrong.

Is there a physician that you have been going to for years? If so, check to see if they accept both plans. If it is only UHC or Cigna, then that should be the determining factor. If it is both, I don't think you can go wrong with either choice.

10. Gunslinger08

Gunslinger08 Lifer

My company uses UHC. Several of my co-workers have complained that they can't find a GP around here that accepts our insurance and isn't already at his/her patient limit. I haven't had to visit a GP since we switched to UHC, but I have been to the dermatologist. They accept UHC, but UHC requires them to call and give 10 days notice before they can do anything for me.. which means it costs me twice the co-pay to get anything done.