CIA Says Pelosi Was Briefed on Use of 'Enhanced Interrogations'

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Harvey
Originally posted by: Genx87

Think whatever you want. The fact is, anyone charged with war crimes or crimes against humanity will be subject to arrest anywhere they go in the world, and they won't find much peace wherever they travel, here, either.

Why would anyone, especially any self styled, so-called "conservative" who supports our own Constitution and the rule of law NOT want those who committed such heinous crimes prosecuted under our own system of justice, let alone support shielding such ciminals from justice under international law? :roll:

I am not passing judgement only asking you to provide any time this has happened before?

I AM passing judgment on the right and wrong of bringing criminals to justice, regardless of how many times it has happened in the past... and it has. Slobodan Milosovic died in custody awaiting sentence. Once they're tried and convictedI wish George W. Bush and his gang of criminals long lives in prison.

That said I wouldnt support an international show trial US citizens in an international court. Try them within our country or not at all.

I would prefer to see the Bushwhacko criminals and anyone else involved in toture tried and convicted here under U.S. law. That said, I would strongly support trials at the ICC if we can't have the courage to uphold our own laws against such heinous acts as torture.

Silly Harvey... no matter how many times you call them names and such, the reality is that NOTHING will happen to them in terms of legal ramifications. Not in international court, not in US court. Lets play hypothetical scenario for a sec. Even if there was a real investigation of them (which there won't be), and there was direct evidence of them giving orders to waterboard someone (which there isn't), the president and vice president would simply say that they went by their legal council, which indicated to them that it was not torture, and was perfectly legal. Legal council exists for that reason, to advise the president and his administration what is legal. How can they know better than the legal council what is or is not legal? They don't. So they'd still walk. Couple that with the fact that Pelosi and lots of others knew damn well what was going on, and there is not a snowballs chance in hell that anything will come of it for senior people like the president. There's always a fall guy lower down the totem pole for such occasions. Remember Ollie North and Iran Contra? Reagan was right in the middle of it.... but who went to jail?

Don't get me wrong. I'm both saddened and ticked off that our administration reduced our nation to the same tactics of third world dictators and terrorists in the name of safety. That they imprison people without legal recourse. That they wiretapped without warrants etc etc. Realistically, nothing is going to come of it, except hopefully new laws and safeguards to prevent it from happening again.

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
Originally posted by: chucky2

... The only way we can regain our credibility in the world community is to stand up and face the truth about the horrific crimes committed by our own leaders.

HahahahaHahahahaHahahahaHahahahaHahahahaHahahahaHahahahaHahahahaHahahahaHa
hahahaHahahahaHahahahaHahahahaHahahahaHahahahaHahahahaHahahahaHahahahaHaha...

World community....oh my god, that was F'ing hilarious...thanks Harvey for that before I have to commute on home, god that was good...

Chuck

Have fun, and go Chuck yourself with the fact that the United States is bound by international laws and treaties to arrest any U.S. citizen charged by any other any nation with war crimes or crimes against humanity and deliver them to the World Court for trial.

I support the Constitution, the laws and the integrity of the United States of America. What's your lameass excuse? :roll:

My "lame" excuse is I expect my POTUS, US intelligence agencies, and US military to do whatever they need to do within reason to protect me, my family, and the other 300M of us here in the US (and abroad). If that includes non-intrusive electronic monitoring by a computer to my phone conversation with Aunt Brit over in the UK, talking about the proper mix of the tortellini filling, then I guess I'll have to be "invaded" like that. If that includes strapping a few (not a million, not a few hundred thousand, not a thousand, not a hundred, not 50, etc) POS's that are laughing at their interrogators (because a.) they're committed, and b.) they know we basically don't torture, so waiting out the interrogator is fine with them, they've got all the time on their hands being in prison) and who would gladly kill as many of us as they could, to a bench and pour water over their face, then 'Ol Harv, so be it.

Tell you what though, I'll meet you halfway: We'll do a "terrible person" swap. We'll swap Bush and his "Criminal Cabal" to be tried, waterboarded, and executed as you so desire.

But then we take all the EU leaders (and I mean All of them), and send them to Sudan - with no protection - to be slaughtered like the hundreds of thousands that were butchered there. After all, it was the EU's total inaction - since they weren't in Iraq, they had plenty of resources (except those super duper hard to find 24 helicopters the UN folks needed) - to go stop the genocide there.

Deal Harv? It's fair right?

Chuck

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Chucky2 asks, "Deal Harv? It's fair right?"

While I can't speak for Harvey, I can only say its bullshit Chucky2 and in a word No.

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Lemon law
Chucky2 asks, "Deal Harv? It's fair right?"

While I can't speak for Harvey, I can only say its bullshit Chucky2 and in a word No.

For once LL, I totally agree with you: The holier than thou EU big mouths by their inaction directly caused far more deaths by action (inaction is an action) than Bush and his "cabal" ever did.

So you're right...it would be a bullsh1t and unequal trade: EU should have to pony up more holier than thou big mouths than just their all their Leaders...maybe we could grab the head of the whiner Bush protest groups or something, or their Parliments.

Good catch LL, for once you've actual made the right call! :thumbsup:

Chuck

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
That was then , now is now.
2002 was a different world.
And as far as "briefing" anyone, I doubt briefing amounted to much more than
some abstract mention with no details. You really think the all knowing all ruling
Bush Whitehouse gave a crapola what anyone else was told or thought?
Especially a democrat.

Pocatello

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Killing extremists and their family members in their sleep with Hellfire missiles is OK, but waterboarding is a big no no.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Originally posted by: Pocatello
Killing extremists and their family members in their sleep with Hellfire missiles is OK, but waterboarding is a big no no.

Yes.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Originally posted by: BarrySotero
If Pelosi ever had to step down - who would her replacement be?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That would be a decision made by the house democratic caucus. They would first have to demote Pelosi, then they would decide who to replace her with. And no, in a word, it will not be a matter than one can vote to keep Pelosi if she would be replaced by candidate A, and vote to fire Pelosi if she will be replaced by candidate B.

rchiu

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2002
Originally posted by: blackangst1

No. You didnt understand. I mean, how would you REPLACE the senate. Since they would be prosecuted and sent away (in your world). Would this independant councel find replacements?

My, aren't you a presumtuous little boy! :roll:

Any such investigation could involve members of the House, as well. There's enough info in the public domain to know your thankfully EX-Traitor In Chief and his criminal henchmen are up to their eyeballs in ordering torture, but you don't know all the facts. Neither do I.

The answer is to start by finding the truth and making all of it public. As a nation, we're strong enough to deal with the reality we find, as long as we're strong enough to pursue that truth. The only way we fail and destroy our nation for ourselves and in the eyes of the world is to ignore the crimes the Bushwhackos committed in our name or attempt to sweep them under the proverbial rug.

The rest of the world won't allow that to happen. There are already prosecutions under way in Spain and Italy. The matter will probably end up before the World Court at the Hague. The only way we can regain our credibility in the world community is to stand up and face the truth about the horrific crimes committed by our own leaders.

It's obvious that you let your person hatred against Bush & Co get in the way of this war crime/torture business. American killed huge numbers of Japanese civilian with the 2 atom bomb and German civilian with firebombs in Dresden, and Bush/CIA with this torture business killed exactly ZERO enemy combatant. You see the difference here? But do we hear you just and righteous people talk about those who committed war crime back in WW2?

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
To correct the rchiu mistake, bombing a enemy counties cities during war time is not defined as a war crime. Because it becomes a part of war to reduce the enemie's capacity to produce the war materials that allow the enemy army to keep fighting.

Once the city becomes occupied by foreign forces, that city then can no longer produce war materials for their military, and thereafter the civilian and enemy military population of that city fall under the umbrella protection of international war crimes laws.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
As the following link in this morning's NYT show, the GOP attempt to claim the democrats are equally complicit on torture policies may well backfire on the GOP. Because the bulk of the democrats in the House and Senate are now more likely to press for a full airing of the dirty laundry, in the process getting more facts out before the American public and the larger world in the process.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05...tics/09detain.html?hpw

If the GOP intent here was to make democrats fear that they would look bad also, and thus back off and help in the torture cover up, it does not appear to be working as planned. And we are in a far different situation now when congress and the Presidency is controlled by a single party. Under GWB&co, the Presidency was almost able to exercise total command and control and count on lockstep legislative branch GOP support, democrats are far different, and even President Obama can't be the decider on torture issues. From the Obama point of view, he has too much on his plate as it is, so containing the torture issue for now may be advantageous for the overall Obama agenda , but now that the GOP has made their bluff, its doubtful that even President Obama can shove the genie back into the bottle. And since the democrats can use congressional hearings to get at facts, it also gives them a perhaps unfair advantage in being able to control how the facts come out.

And even if Reid and Pelosi emerge covered in mud, its probably going to have a far worse effect on the GOP Legislative branch leadership.

rchiu

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2002
To correct the rchiu mistake, bombing a enemy counties cities during war time is not defined as a war crime. Because it becomes a part of war to reduce the enemie's capacity to produce the war materials that allow the enemy army to keep fighting.

Once the city becomes occupied by foreign forces, that city then can no longer produce war materials for their military, and thereafter the civilian and enemy military population of that city fall under the umbrella protection of international war crimes laws.

So you are saying killing of civilian in the tens of thousands is okay as long as there is a military reason, but interrogation of enemy combatant with torture (not even killing) when there is a military reason, ie to obtain info, is not okay.....now I am confused.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
If you are confused rchiu, I suggest you read the Geneva convention, neither you or I wrote it and they read as they read. Not as you might have wished it to be written.

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Sadly, it's the attitude of people like chucky2 that got us into this whole mess. Sure, torture whoever you want, as long as it makes me feel safer. No problem. Of course, they might be innocent and all that, but who cares? I feel safer. Oh, and who needs that pesky oversight nonsense? We trust the government to have unlimited power with no oversight, we're sure that will never be abused and we'll all be much safer. Sigh.....

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
Except I didn't say torture everyone we detain (we don't). Except I didn't say torture people that are innocent (we don't, unless we seriously F up, which is on the whole rare: nothing is perfect, sorry). Except I didn't say have it done with no oversight (we have plenty of oversight as it is).

Good going creating three strawmen arguements....

Chuck

rchiu

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2002
If you are confused rchiu, I suggest you read the Geneva convention, neither you or I wrote it and they read as they read. Not as you might have wished it to be written.
So are we talking about the letter of the law or logic here. I can only talk about logic since I have not the time nor interest to read thousands of pages of protocols. However, I doubt anyone here also have gone over all the pages and have the legal experience to comment on international war crime law.

Just on the point of whether al-qaeda operatives are protected is already hotly debated as Al-Qaeda not only did not sign the Geneva convention, they have demonstrated that they have not and will not follow Geneva convention in this war.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: chucky2

My "lame" excuse is I expect my POTUS, US intelligence agencies, and US military to do whatever they need to do within reason to protect me, my family, and the other 300M of us here in the US (and abroad).

Then you're right. Your excuse is lame. Like any President, your mercifully EX-Traitor In Chief raised his hand and took this oath of office:

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.

There is no "Time Out" or "Kings X" clause in the Constitution. All of the acts you say you are so willing to allow violate that oath. That makes every one of them anything but "within reason."

If that includes non-intrusive electronic monitoring by a computer to my phone conversation with Aunt Brit over in the UK, talking about the proper mix of the tortellini filling, then I guess I'll have to be "invaded" like that. If that includes strapping a few (not a million, not a few hundred thousand, not a thousand, not a hundred, not 50, etc) POS's that are laughing at their interrogators (because a.) they're committed, and b.) they know we basically don't torture, so waiting out the interrogator is fine with them, they've got all the time on their hands being in prison) and who would gladly kill as many of us as they could, to a bench and pour water over their face, then 'Ol Harv, so be it.

Who makes this grand determination of whose Constitutional rights should be shredded and which people to torture? :confused:

We KNOW they lied to us. We KNOW they have tortured innocent captives. Why should we believe they're right or that they're even telling us the truth about those they abuse... if they tell us anything at all? :shocked:

Talk to us about what you'd allow after someone in power determines that YOU are one of the "few (not a million, not a few hundred thousand, not a thousand, not a hundred, not 50, etc) POS's" who has such information or who deserves to have their Constitutional rights abused. It doesn't matter whether or not it's true. All they have to do is "believe" you have such information to justify to themselves that you should be tortured. In fact, they don't even have to believe it because they can just as easily lie about it or simply remain silent, and no one will know.

Of course, if it's not true, you won't be able to give them what they want, but either you'll tell them something... anything to stop the torture, in which case, they won't have gained anything useful, or you'll die, and we'll be rid of one more wannabe torturer.

Originally posted by: rchiu

It's obvious that you let your person hatred against Bush & Co get in the way of this war crime/torture business. American killed huge numbers of Japanese civilian with the 2 atom bomb and German civilian with firebombs in Dresden, and Bush/CIA with this torture business killed exactly ZERO enemy combatant. You see the difference here? But do we hear you just and righteous people talk about those who committed war crime back in WW2?

Thanks for the strawman. Your argument is complete and utter bullshit. All you prove is that you're a brainless, immoral POS who knows absolutely nothing about anything, including and especially ethics, morals, history and law.

Hiroshima and Nagasaki

Obviously, you know nothing about the decision to drop nuclear weapons on Japan. As President Truman notes in these excerpts from his diary, he wasn't happy about dropping nuclear bombs on Japan.

8/9/45: Excerpt from public statement by President Truman. This was the second time he had publicly given reasons for using the atomic bomb on Japan:

"The world will note that the first atomic bomb was dropped on Hiroshima, a military base. That was because we wished in this first attack to avoid, insofar as possible, the killing of civilians. But that attack is only a warning of things to come. If Japan does not surrender, bombs will have to be dropped on her war industries and, unfortunately, thousands of civilian lives will be lost.

"Having found the bomb we have used it. We have used it against those who attacked us without warning at Pearl Harbor, against those who have starved and beaten and executed American prisoners of war, against those who have abandoned all pretense of obeying international laws of warfare. We have used it in order to shorten the agony of war, in order to save the lives of thousands and thousands of young Americans.

"We shall continue to use it until we completely destroy Japan's power to make war. Only a Japanese surrender will stop us." (Public Papers of the Presidents, Harry S. Truman, 1945, pg. 212).

[Even before Hiroshima was a-bombed, hundreds of thousands of civilians had been killed in the conventional bombings of over 60 of Japan's largest cities (Michael Sherry, "The Rise of American Air Power", pg. 314-315, and pg. 413, note 43). Was President Truman unaware that Hiroshima was primarily a city of civilians and that they would be the a-bomb's main victims? Note his reason (8/10/45 below) for halting the atomic bombings.]

8/9/45 Letter to Senator Richard Russell:

[In response to Sen. Russell's wish that Japan be hit with more atomic and conventional bombing:]

"I know that Japan is a terribly cruel and uncivilized nation in warfare but I can't bring myself to believe that, because they are beasts, we should ourselves act in the same manner.

"For myself, I certainly regret the necessity of wiping out whole populations because of the 'pigheadedness' of the leaders of a nation and, for your information, I am not going to do it until it is absolutely necessary...

"My object is to save as many American lives as possible but I also have a humane feeling for the women and children in Japan." (Barton Bernstein, Understanding the Atomic Bomb and the Japanese Surrender: Missed Opportunities, Little-Known Near Disasters, and Modern Memory, Diplomatic History, Spring 1995, material quoted from pg. 267-268).

[8/10/45: Japan makes surrender offer to Allies.]

[8/10/45: Having received reports and photographs of the effects of the Hiroshima bomb, Truman ordered a halt to further atomic bombings. Sec. of Commerce Henry Wallace recorded in his diary on the 10th, "Truman said he had given orders to stop atomic bombing. He said the thought of wiping out another 100,000 people was too horrible. He didn't like the idea of killing, as he said, 'all those kids'." (John Blum, ed., "The Price of Vision: the Diary of Henry A. Wallace, 1942-1946", pg. 473-474).]

President Truman approved the use of nuclear weapons because he believed it would shorten the war and save many more American lives that would otherwise be lost in an invasion of Japan, itself.

Operation Downfall was the U.S. plan for the invasion of Japan. It didn't happen because Japan surrendered after the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. We will never know how many lives would actually have been lost in that invasion, but the record does include estimated losses:

Operation Downfall

Operation Downfall
was the overall Allied plan for the invasion of Japan near the end of World War II. The operation was cancelled when Japan surrendered after the atomic bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, and the Soviet Union's declaration of war against Japan.
Estimated casualties

Because the U.S. military planners assumed "that operations in this area will be opposed not only by the available organized military forces of the Empire, but also by a fanatically hostile population", high casualties were thought to be inevitable, but nobody knew with certainty how high. Several people made estimates, but they varied widely in numbers, assumptions, and purposes ? which included advocating for and against the invasion ? afterwards, they were reused to debate over the atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Casualty estimates were based on the experience of the preceding campaigns, drawing different lessons:
  • In a study done by the Joint Chiefs of Staff in April, the figures of 7.45 casualties/1,000 man-days and 1.78 fatalities/1,000 man-days were developed. This implied that a 90-day Olympic campaign would cost 456,000 casualties, including 109,000 dead or missing. If Coronet took another 90 days, the combined cost would be 1,200,000 casualties, with 267,000 fatalities.
  • A study done by Adm. Nimitz's staff in May estimated 49,000 casualties in the first 30 days, including 5,000 at sea.[38] A study done by General MacArthur's staff in June estimated 23,000 in the first 30 days and 125,000 after 120 days. When these figures were questioned by General Marshall, MacArthur submitted a revised estimate of 105,000, in part by deducting wounded men able to return to duty.
  • In a conference with President Truman on June 18, Marshall, taking the Battle of Luzon as the best model for Olympic, thought the Americans would suffer 31,000 casualties in the first 30 days (and ultimately 20% of Japanese casualties, which implied a total of 70,000 casualties). Adm. Leahy, more impressed by the Battle of Okinawa, thought the American forces would suffer a 35% casualty rate (implying an ultimate toll of 268,000).[42] Admiral King thought that casualties in the first 30 days would fall between Luzon and Okinawa, i.e., between 31,000 and 41,000.
Of these estimates, only Nimitz's included losses of the forces at sea, though kamikazes had inflicted 1.78 fatalities per kamikaze pilot in the Battle of Okinawa, and troop transports off Kyushu would have been much more exposed.
  • A study done for Secretary of War Henry Stimson's staff by William Shockley estimated that conquering Japan would cost 1.7 to 4 million American casualties, including 400,000 to 800,000 fatalities, and five to ten million Japanese fatalities. The key assumption was large-scale participation by civilians in the defense of Japan.
Outside the government, well-informed civilians were also making guesses. Kyle Palmer, war correspondent for the Los Angeles Times, said half a million to a million Americans would die by the end of the war. Herbert Hoover, in memorandums submitted to Truman and Stimson, also estimated 500,000 to 1,000,000 fatalities, and were believed to be conservative estimates; but it is not known if Hoover discussed these specific figures in his meetings with Truman. The chief of the Army Operations division thought them "entirely too high" under "our present plan of campaign."

Dresden

The first sentence in Wikipedia's entry about the Bombing of Dresden shows how full of shit you are.

Bombing of Dresden in World War II

The Bombing of Dresden by the British Royal Air Force (RAF) and United States Army Air Force (USAAF) between 13 February and 15 February 1945, twelve weeks before the surrender of the Armed Forces (Wehrmacht) of Nazi Germany, remains one of the most controversial Allied actions of the Second World War.
(continues)

It's too late to second guess the results of not bombing Dresden, and it's too late to undo the damage. It's never too late to mourn the loss of life and to acknowledge and learn from our mistakes... with the possible exception of immoral assholes like you.

Just on the point of whether al-qaeda operatives are protected is already hotly debated as Al-Qaeda not only did not sign the Geneva convention, they have demonstrated that they have not and will not follow Geneva convention in this war.

So, by your perverted "logic," that's sufficient reason for us to abandon our humanity? :shocked:

IT IS NOT! We will NEVER defeat evil by becoming the evil we seek to defeat. YOU have already lost that battle. :thumbsdown: :|

theflyingpig

Banned
Mar 9, 2008

So are we talking about the letter of the law or logic here. I can only talk about logic since I have not the time nor interest to read thousands of pages of protocols. However, I doubt anyone here also have gone over all the pages and have the legal experience to comment on international war crime law.

This is exactly true. Al Qaeda did not sign the Geneva convention therefore they are not protected by it, nor are we bound to adhere to it when dealing with them. If Al Qaeda wants the protections afforded by the Geneva convention they will have to adopt it. But they won't. They are an organization that has realized the true nature of warfare, and that the Geneva convention is simply obsolete. There is no room for morality in warfare. There is only victory and death. Those who do not do what is necessary to win, will die. Al Qaeda has proven they have the will to win, we have proven that we have the will to whine.

Harvey

Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: theflyingpig

There is only victory and death. Those who do not do what is necessary to win, will die. Al Qaeda has proven they have the will to win, we have proven that we have the will to whine.

You have proven only that you have the will to betray your country and everything it stands for. YOU are a fucking embarrassment to our nation and to humanity.

theflyingpig

Banned
Mar 9, 2008

You have proven only that you have the will to betray your country and everything it stands for. YOU are a fucking embarrassment to our nation and to humanity.

It is not betrayal. You simply misunderstand Harvey. You see, the US can still maintain it's image of "the good guy" by simply keeping these things secret. That is the reason for secrecy. To maintain an image. Don't you have secrets that, if revealed, would alter peoples perceptions of you? Of course you do. The US is the same. This is why the Obama administration is doing everything they can to regain the image of the US being the good guy. After this has been accomplished the so-called atrocities we commit in secret, will, even if leaked, go largely ignored. This is the brilliance of the Obama doctrine.

Harvey

Oct 9, 1999

It is not betrayal. You simply misunderstand Harvey. You see, the US can still maintain it's image of "the good guy" by simply keeping these things secret.

Screw "the image" of "the good guy." Either we are or we are not REALLY the good guy. Lying to ourselves and others won't change that. You can paint a turd any color you want, and beneath the paint, it's still a turd.

Thanks for proving exactly what I said. You have the will to betray your country and everything it stands for. YOU are a fucking embarrassment to our nation and to humanity. :thumbsdown: :|

theflyingpig

Banned
Mar 9, 2008

Screw "the image" of "the good guy." Either we are or we are not REALLY the good guy. Lying to ourselves and others won't change that. You can paint a turd any color you want, and beneath the paint, it's still a turd.

Thanks for proving exactly what I said. You have the will to betray your country and everything it stands for. YOU are a fucking embarrassment to our nation and to humanity. :thumbsdown: :|

Heh, you really are an idealist, aren't you Harvey. I commend you on your belief that we will eventually rise above these things, but reality is different. Enhanced interrogations, "torture", and other atrocities will continue because people will naturally do these things to those they hate. It can never be stopped, but it can be kept out of the public's eye, which is just as good.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

It is not betrayal. You simply misunderstand Harvey. You see, the US can still maintain it's image of "the good guy" by simply keeping these things secret. That is the reason for secrecy. To maintain an image. Don't you have secrets that, if revealed, would alter peoples perceptions of you? Of course you do. The US is the same. This is why the Obama administration is doing everything they can to regain the image of the US being the good guy. After this has been accomplished the so-called atrocities we commit in secret, will, even if leaked, go largely ignored. This is the brilliance of the Obama doctrine.

Your logic is dizzying. We lost our image of the 'good guy' because we tortured people. So, you want to keep our torture secret. We have been completely unable to keep our torturing of people secret, but you somehow think this will work in the future. Even if it doesn't though, now that Obama has restored our reputation as 'the good guy' torture can be leaked without damaging our reputation.... even though torture is what made us not 'the good guy' to begin with.

You either have Aspergers or you are a teenager. (or both?) You just don't appear to understand how the world works.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

Heh, you really are an idealist, aren't you Harvey. I commend you on your belief that we will eventually rise above these things, but reality is different. Enhanced interrogations, "torture", and other atrocities will continue because people will naturally do these things to those they hate. It can never be stopped, but it can be kept out of the public's eye, which is just as good.

This is just so brilliant I'm sure it went over people's heads. Thank God, I at least am smart enough to catch it and also willing to translate for the ordinary thinker:

There will aways be hate in the world just so long as there is hate in the world. Pure Genius.