CIA says insurgents now 50,000 strong

burek

Feb 19, 2002
'We could lose this situation'

The White House yesterday drew up emergency plans to accelerate the transfer of power in Iraq after being shown a devastating CIA report warning that the guerrilla war was in danger of escalating out of US control.
The report, an "appraisal of situation" commissioned by the CIA director, George Tenet, and written by the CIA station chief in Baghdad, said that the insurgency was gaining ground among the population, and already numbers in the tens of thousands.

One military intelligence assessment now estimates the insurgents' strength at 50,000. Analysts cautioned that such a figure was speculative, but it does indicate a deep-rooted revolt on a far greater scale than the Pentagon had led the administration to believe.

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Why are you focusing on the negative? Are you in the LIBERAL MEDIA?
Think happy thoughts. Iraqi schoolgirls with their new Saddam free books. There. Feel better now? No need to alarm the masses. :D

VioletAura

Banned
Aug 28, 2003
It is going to be sweet when the US runs out with their tail between their legs and Saddam resumes control... back by overwhelming popular demand. If they didn't like Saddam before, they like him now.

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
Curious . . . we can estimate the strength of the insurgents but have no clue how many civilians were killed during Operation Iraqi Freedom.

Gaard

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
Originally posted by: VioletAura
It is going to be sweet when the US runs out with their tail between their legs and Saddam resumes control... back by overwhelming popular demand. If they didn't like Saddam before, they like him now.

I realize everyone is entitled to their opinion, yet I don't think it would bother me one bit to see your sorry ass booted out of here. I get the impression that you probably don't really believe everything you spout, you just want to be a d!ckhead.

Doboji

Diamond Member
May 18, 2001

And you asked why I call you a terrorist sympathizer....

You make me sick.

-Max

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Gaard

I realize everyone is entitled to their opinion, yet I don't think it would bother me one bit to see your sorry ass booted out of here. I get the impression that you probably don't really believe everything you spout, you just want to be a d!ckhead.

Whoa, even pissed Gaard off. That's saying something ;)

Don't feed the Trolls Gaard!

VioletAura

Banned
Aug 28, 2003

I wouldn't waste the time of "spouting" these things if I didn't mean them.

VioletAura

Banned
Aug 28, 2003
Originally posted by: Doboji

You make me sick.

-Max

Iraqi insurgents aren't terrorist. Well that shoots down that theory.

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000

I wouldn't waste the time of "spouting" these things if I didn't mean them.
So go do something about it. Strap a bomb on yourself and set it off early before you harm a human life with value.

Corn

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 1999
So go do something about it. Strap a bomb on yourself and set it off early before you harm a human life with value.

Wow, tough room!

Lucky

Lifer
Nov 26, 2000
why has it become acceptable to quote a speculative and extreme opinion on this matter as fact?

rufruf44

Platinum Member
May 8, 2001
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the Guardian is very anti-US? Besides, I didn't know CIA report on significant matter such as this one can be declassified so quickly for the public. Is this a confirmed report or just an attack toward the White House?

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
Originally posted by: VioletAura It is going to be sweet when the US runs out with their tail between their legs and Saddam resumes control... back by overwhelming popular demand. If they didn't like Saddam before, they like him now.

I don't see his comments all that far-fetched. With sadaam and cronies still alive, the old republican guard and military may unite out of loyalty fairly quickly to feed into any implosion of power of the occupying forces. They hate us because we don't give them back pay and don't rehire them, and if this resistance continues to gain momentum, we may lose something that we will never be able to regain, power and control over who fills the vacuum, and sadaam may already have a leg up on the others for having survived the occupation so far.

Its a stretch, but not unfathomable. Complete anarchy is probably a lot closer than we are led to believe.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Go to your happy place ... go to your happy place ... happy trees, happy little clouds ... it's going to be OK ... Iraqis love us ... rose petal parades ...

Pers

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2001

You make me sick.

-Max

you probably make him sick because you're stupid enough to believe this war was about liberating iraqis.

Pers

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2001
Originally posted by: DealMonkey
Go to your happy place ... go to your happy place ... happy trees, happy little clouds ... it's going to be OK ... Iraqis love us ... rose petal parades ...

sometimes i wish i was a conservative. ignorance is bliss

Oct 3, 2003

I wish you lived in Texas so I could kick your ass!
I despise Bush, but I would like to kick your ass from
here to Austin!

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
The Americans are trespassers, murderers and oil thieves in the eyes of Iraqis. What is so hard to understand about that?

Put yourself in the shoes of an Iraqi whose family was murdered by American bombs How do you think he feels?

The unemployment rate over there is VERY extreme and this makes people VERY ANGRY...

There are more people starving and looking for work than there ever were under Saddam...

How would you feel if some foreign force came here and bombed the fvck out of us and murdered 20-30,000 people... would they be your friend or foe?

Fencer128

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001

It's very sad that you would actually view it as a good thing if Saddam got back into power.

Get a grip.

Andy

Pers

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2001
Originally posted by: chazzheatherly

I wish you lived in Texas so I could kick your ass!
I despise Bush, but I would like to kick your ass from
here to Austin!

www.disney.com

i think that site would be more for your taste.

Pers

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2001
Originally posted by: dahunan
The Americans are trespassers, murderers and oil thieves in the eyes of Iraqis. What is so hard to understand about that?

Put yourself in the shoes of an Iraqi whose family was murdered by American bombs How do you think he feels?

The unemployment rate over there is VERY extreme and this makes people VERY ANGRY...

There are more people starving and looking for work than there ever were under Saddam...

How would you feel if some foreign force came here and bombed the fvck out of us and murdered 20-30,000 people... would they be your friend or foe?

it's very sad that you're about the only person on the boards who has enough reason to think in such a manner. Congratulations. For the rest of the idiots who think this is about liberation...you are proof that democracy isn't great so long as a society consists of idiots.

Edit: 2,500 people died in America, and we're still avenging their deaths. Anyone who questions our motives is an unpatriotic prick. This country literally consists of a herd of hypocritical morons.

DaiShan

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001

Man all you do is troll...

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com

You make me sick.

-Max

Wow, I'm not fond of a lot of the Nanny State things Ashcroft and Co are doing in the name of Post 9-11 but somebody please send John and his boys after this guy.