CIA Agent Uncovered! Wait, she was a staffer who never left the Washington office and leak intel herself?

Jan 12, 2003
Novak: Administration didn't 'call me to leak this'

She was "an analyst, not a spy, not a covert operative and not in charge of undercover operators." In short, she was like any other staff 'Jane' working up the street. I wonder how this ranks when compared to the 400+ secret FBI files on predominant Republicans that were found in the basement of the White House? Perhaps the special counsel will put this all into perspective.

"WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Newspaper columnist Robert Novak said Monday that no one in the administration called him to identify the wife of Bush critic Joe Wilson as a CIA operative.

Wilson, who was acting U.S. ambassador to Iraq just before the Persian Gulf War of 1991, has said White House officials revealed his wife's identity to Novak in retaliation for his exposing flaws in prewar intelligence on Iraq.

Novak, a nationally syndicated columnist who writes for the Chicago Sun-Times, said he learned the identity of Wilson's wife as he was preparing an article to be published July 14 on Wilson's report to the CIA in early 2002 that questioned whether Iraq tried to buy yellowcake -- uranium ore -- in Niger and elsewhere in Africa.

President Bush made the assertion in his 2003 State of the Union address as part of the rationale for going to war, attributing the report to British intelligence. The information was later discredited as being based at least in part on forged documents, and Bush has since backed off the statement.

"Nobody in the Bush administration called me to leak this," Novak said on CNN's "Crossfire," of which he is a co-host. "There is no great crime here."

"They asked me not to use her name, but never indicated it would endanger her or anybody else. According to a confidential source at the CIA, Mrs. Wilson was an analyst, not a spy, not a covert operative and not in charge of undercover operators," Novak said.

The Washington Post quoted a "senior administration official" in a story Sunday as saying that two top White House officials disclosed the identity of Wilson's wife in calls to at least six Washington journalists. Novak was the only recipient of the information who published it, the Post reported.

Wilson at one point suggested that senior Bush adviser Karl Rove could have been behind the leak, which the White House denied. He backed off that assertion somewhat Monday, accusing Rove of at least condoning it.

Wilson still contended that Novak's source was someone in the administration.

"I think it comes out of the White House political office," Wilson said, adding that the publication of his wife's identity came one week after he had written an article in The New York Times that was critical of the administration's handling of intelligence on Iraq.

Novak revealed the name of Wilson's wife, Valerie Plame, in a July column about Wilson's yellowcake report to the CIA.

Novak said Monday that he was working on the column when a senior administration official told him the CIA asked Wilson to go to Niger in early 2002 at the suggestion of his wife, whom the source described as "a CIA employee working on weapons of mass destruction."

Another senior administration official gave him the same information, Novak said, and the CIA confirmed her involvement in her husband's mission.

In his column, Novak attributed the information about Plame's involvement in Wilson's trip to Africa to two unnamed senior administration officials.

However, in the July 14 article, Novak wrote that Plame "is an agency operative on weapons of mass destruction."

Novak said Monday that he will not reveal the names of his sources.

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
I am guessing since you are bringing up Clinton, there is Bush admin wrongdoing to distract from.

LilBlinbBlahIce

Golden Member
Dec 31, 2001
Originally posted by: SuperTool
I am guessing since you are bringing up Clinton, there is Bush admin wrongdoing to distract from.

As always...
rolleye.gif

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
So Robert Novak knows more than the CIA.

Why is the CIA asking for an investigation and the Justice Department beginning one if her position in some way was not classified?

reitz

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999
Is it just me, or do these two passages from the article seem to disagree?
Newspaper columnist Robert Novak said Monday that no one in the administration called him to identify the wife of Bush critic Joe Wilson as a CIA operative.
Novak said Monday that he was working on the column when a senior administration official told him the CIA asked Wilson to go to Niger in early 2002 at the suggestion of his wife, whom the source described as "a CIA employee working on weapons of mass destruction."

Another senior administration official gave him the same information, Novak said, and the CIA confirmed her involvement in her husband's mission.

In his column, Novak attributed the information about Plame's involvement in Wilson's trip to Africa to two unnamed senior administration officials.

However, in the July 14 article, Novak wrote that Plame "is an agency operative on weapons of mass destruction."
It seems like the opening paragraph is nitpicking; that no one "called" Novak to reveal the information, but the second passage still supports the allegations that senior administration officials leaked Plame's name and involvement.

My biggest question: If Valerie Plame is not a CIA operative, and just an analyst, then why the investigation? Classified leaks happen dozens of times a year with no [public] repercussions; if Plame were just a desk analyst, I fail to see where a crime has been committed, and by extension how Ashcroft (a major Bush team player) would determine an investigation is warranted.

Dec 27, 2001

I am guessing since you have no valid argument in reply that you realize this issue was blown out of proportion by fanatical anti-administration minions.

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Originally posted by: HeroOfPellinor

I am guessing since you have no valid argument in reply that you realize this issue was blown out of proportion by fanatical anti-administration minions.

Umm.....the investigation has just started. The CIA is definately concerned and even John Ashcroft seems to think that thier is something that needs a criminal investigation.

How do you know the issue is blown out of porportion?

Jan 12, 2003
Originally posted by: reitz

My biggest question: If Valerie Plame is not a CIA operative, and just an analyst, then why the investigation?

That, sir, is the $1M question....of tax-payers' dollars. I think because it seems popular, but as more facts come out, people will see that it is nothing more than smoke and mirrors and an attempt by the DNC to hide the fact that they have no plan for 2004.

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Originally posted by: xxxxxJohnGaltxxxxx

My biggest question: If Valerie Plame is not a CIA operative, and just an analyst, then why the investigation?

That, sir, is the $1M question....of tax-payers' dollars. I think because it seems popular, but as more facts come out, people will see that it is nothing more than smoke and mirrors and an attempt by the DNC to hide the fact that they have no plan for 2004.

So the CIA is in league with the DNC now? The CIA that great bastion of liberals?? They are the ones asking for the investigation.

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
BTW: Here is the text of the White House Counsels E-Mail to staff this morning.

Pay attention to this part:

"We were informed last evening by the Department of Justice that it has opened an investigation into possible unauthorized disclosures concerning the identity of an undercover CIA employee. "

So it appears that Novak is talking out of his ass, as even the Justice Deprtment is stating that it was the "identity of an undercover CIA employee"

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Text of an e-mail to White House staff Tuesday from counsel Alberto R. Gonzales about the Justice Department's investigation about the leak of a CIA officer's identity:

PLEASE READ: Important Message From Counsel's Office

We were informed last evening by the Department of Justice that it has opened an investigation into possible unauthorized disclosures concerning the identity of an undercover CIA employee.

The department advised us that it will be sending a letter today instructing us to preserve all materials that might be relevant to its investigation. Its letter will provide more specific instructions on the materials in which it is interested, and we will communicate those instructions directly to you.

In the meantime, you must preserve all materials that might in any way be related to the department's investigation.

Any questions concerning this request should be directed to Associate Counsels

Ted Ullyot or Raul Yanes in the counsel to the president's office.

The president has directed full cooperation with this investigation.

reitz

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999
Then why would George Tenet, loyal enough to the Bush admin to fall on his sword over the Uranium claims several months ago, request an investigation by the Justice Department? Tenet knows Plame's true role at the CIA...if there was no crime committed here, why would he persue the matter?

Why would John Ashcroft, a staunch Bush ally, move into a full criminal investigation? The DNC can make all the noise it wants, but Ashcroft doesn't have to answer to them.

Jan 12, 2003
The CIA is asking for someone outside the DOJ to investigate? I fully support the DOJ doing their job by conducting a fact-finding mission, or course...but until that has concluded, I think we are putting the cart before the horse by appointing an "Independent Counsel."

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
The CIA is asking for someone outside the DOJ to investigate? I fully support the DOJ doing their job by conducting a fact-finding mission, or course...but until that has concluded, I think we are putting the cart before the horse by appointing an "Independent Counsel."

So can you admit you are putting the cart before the horse by stating that no crime was commited here and this analyst was just a "staffer".?

What do you have to back that up?

Talk about putting the cart before the horse.

Jan 12, 2003

Then why would George Tenet, loyal enough to the Bush admin to fall on his sword over the Uranium claims several months ago, request an investigation by the Justice Department? Tenet knows Plame's true role at the CIA...if there was no crime committed here, why would he persue the matter?

Why would John Ashcroft, a staunch Bush ally, move into a full criminal investigation? The DNC can make all the noise it wants, but Ashcroft doesn't have to answer to them.

Read my post above; I was speaking to the 'Independent Counsel' suggestion raised by Senate Democrats....an investigation should be conducted, I agree, but by whom is the question. If the DOJ ran into raodblocks, then I would support the ideal of a so-called 'Independent Counsel'. Otherwise, ...

Jan 12, 2003
Originally posted by: tnitsuj

So can you admit you are putting the cart before the horse by stating that no crime was commited here and this analyst was just a "staffer".?

...using the same source that brought this issue to light; I guess he's telling the truth when he accuses the administration, but telling a lie when he reveals her position...funny how that works.

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003

...using the same source that brought this issue to light; I guess he's telling the truth when he accuses the administration, but telling a lie when he reveals her position...funny how that works.

He didn't accuse the administration of anything. When did Novak accuse the administration of anything?

He clearly revealed Mrs. Wilson/Palmes name. (That is not in dispute)

The CIA is clearly concerned about it for some reason. (We really don't know why)

So who knows more about the issue the CIA, or Robert Novak. Does Robert Novak have a security clearence?

Novak himself is not disputing the leak of the name. Thier is no truth or fiction there, everyone is accepting that.

The issue is.

1. Is he more knowledgable than the CIA which is asking for the investigation into whether or not that leak was criminal.

I don't see how you can answer that question.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000

Oh, DNC is up to this? Now you have my interest. Linky? Nope. Specious. Not suprising.

Facts come out? Ahh, you are all for that very expensive investigation into Clinton? Closet Reno supporter? To each their own I suppose.

Perhaps you are for them unless you feel that your own particular ox would be Gored.

Jan 12, 2003
Originally posted by: WinstonSmith

Oh, DNC is up to this? Now you have my interest. Linky? Nope. Specious. Not suprising.

I have more than enough links, but waiting for you to post the 'right-wing conspiracy' members that made up the lies about Clinton sexually abusing college kids. "linky?"

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Originally posted by: WinstonSmith

I have more than enough links, but waiting for you to post the 'right-wing conspiracy' members that made up the lies about Clinton sexually abusing college kids. "linky?"

What are you people talking about?

xochi

Jan 18, 2000

So the CIA is in league with the DNC now? The CIA that great bastion of liberals?? They are the ones asking for the investigation.

You have uncovered the "The Vast Left Wing Conspiracy". Stay where you are so CIA operatives can pick you up and hand you over to our leader Hillary CLINTON. :D

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Something fishy is going on here: Novak claims, "According to a confidential source at the CIA, Mrs. Wilson was an analyst, not a spy, not a covert operative and not in charge of undercover operators." So why would the CIA request the Justice Dep't to investigate this if she was not a covert operative? If she was simply an analyst there would be NO investigation.

What about the "...at least six Washington journalists..." who also rec'd this information? It's not just Novak. Are they all going to claim they learned the information during an interview and that it wasn't a leak from the WH?

Also this, "Other CIA sources told CNN on Monday that Plame was an operative who ran agents in the field."

WTF? Is she an operative or not? So far, everyone seems to think so except for Novak.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
This is a very big issue, which nobody should wish to joke their way out of, but I see no reason to rush to judgment. What must not be allowed to happen though, is a cover up. If this pans out as true, that Rove or some other Bush people leaked her name, they need to do jail time. Rove already got fired once for this.

Jan 12, 2003
Originally posted by: xochi

You have uncovered the "The Vast Left Wing Conspiracy". Stay where you are so CIA operatives can pick you up and hand you over to our leader Hillary CLINTON. :D

Nice :)

...I'd "do" that.

Jan 12, 2003
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
This is a very big issue, which nobody should wish to joke their way out of, but I see no reason to rush to judgment. What must not be allowed to happen though, is a cover up. If this pans out as true, that Rove or some other Bush people leaked her name, they need to do jail time. Rove already got fired once for this.

I agree, Moonie; you must have calibrated that mirror over the weekend. You are starting to see things more clearly now.