*Chuckle* It's so cold in my computer room at home...

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
I'm not kidding. I've been working on my desktop the last few days, and with fall coming and the heat not on, it's about 60 degrees in that room. The new motherboard I have (Gigabyte 790GX) seems to go to extremes when it comes to fan control, the adaptive setting was turned on - I powered on the machine and noticed the CPU fan just twitching every few seconds. At first I thought the fan on the HSF was dying, then I remembered the motherboard had adaptive fan settings. Went into the BIOS, turned it off and all was well.

This is the first motherboard I've seen that's actually willing to turn a fan just about off on a CPU. Silly!

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Yeah we leave our windows open until it's bascially freezing out and the PC is often fully silent because the ambient temps are so low. It's especially fun to watch the temperatures if the machine was hibernated in a cold room. No fans at all and 15C CPU temps are fun to watch.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Same here, my computer room is the upstairs of our capecod style house. During winter it gets pretty cool upstairs, maybe mid/upper 50's F I'd guess. My CPU temps drop like a rock.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Freakin' hoopleheads who moved to Southern California and globally-warmed it . . . .

I hate the summers here . . . . I'd move to Alaska if I didn't have baggage . . . .

Grrrr. :|

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
Originally posted by: BonzaiDuck
Freakin' hoopleheads who moved to Southern California and globally-warmed it . . . .

I hate the summers here . . . . I'd move to Alaska if I didn't have baggage . . . .

Yeah, I am SURE southern California is hot because of global warming :p

I do wonder how so many people can afford $500,000 houses down there though.

BlueAcolyte

Platinum Member
Nov 19, 2007
Originally posted by: Martimus
Originally posted by: BonzaiDuck

Yeah, I am SURE southern California is hot because of global warming :p

I do wonder how so many people can afford $500,000 houses down there though.

They can't.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Not that it has anything to do specifically with what the OP mentioned, but how cold does it have to get before heatpipe-based HSFs begin to fail? I've heard that they do not operate as intended if the ambient temperature gets too low.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Interesting....

Add a few GPU F@H clients and see what happens. Its 60f here, and I have all the windows open, and 2 fans, and the AC still kicks in (set to 75) with 6 GPU clients, its toasty !

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Markfw900
Interesting....

Add a few GPU F@H clients and see what happens. Its 60f here, and I have all the windows open, and 2 fans, and the AC still kicks in (set to 75) with 6 GPU clients, its toasty !

You keep the windows open with the AC on???

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Well, I jumped in on the D@H contest FMC is running over in PC Gaming/DC. Finished putting my desktop back together and getting everything installed, and ran the client overnight. It sure as hell is chilly in here, but when I woke up Core 0 was running full load at 24C and core 1 was running full load at 22C (according to AMD OverDrive).

Drsignguy

Platinum Member
Mar 24, 2002
Can't say I have run that low but since I woke up this morning to a cool 35 degrees up here in the great state of Minnesota, all my temps on my rigs have significantly dropped, As they will throughout this winter season. I have mixed feelings of winters here as I do like the cold temps at times, but I also have to work out in them....a lot! It can be just plain brutal. But again, I like seeing my rigs temps lowered :)

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: DrMrLordX
Not that it has anything to do specifically with what the OP mentioned, but how cold does it have to get before heatpipe-based HSFs begin to fail? I've heard that they do not operate as intended if the ambient temperature gets too low.

I wouldn't worry too much, because if the liquid in the heatpipes don't vaporize, the CPU isn't hot enough to need cooling. Of course this will heat up the CPU, which will then start to vaporize the liquid in the heatpipes. A self regulating system. :D

Mango1970

Aug 26, 2006
Loving the fall -- same here with leaving windows open and no heating my CPU's temps using Realtemp are a good 5-8c less than average. Freaking great!

geokilla

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2006
Take your PC outside into the backyard. I doubt your fan would even run at all then.

@Mark. You are the source of global warming :p. Windows open plus AC on lol.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Originally posted by: VirtualLarry
Originally posted by: Markfw900
Interesting....

You keep the windows open with the AC on???

So long as the outside temperature is below what the AC is set to, the outside air is helping the AC, mostly ventilation, but a little cold air assist also.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Originally posted by: Paratus
Is your PC Cold with Solution?

You beat me to it. Well played, Mr. Bond.

Originally posted by: Zap

I wouldn't worry too much, because if the liquid in the heatpipes don't vaporize, the CPU isn't hot enough to need cooling. Of course this will heat up the CPU, which will then start to vaporize the liquid in the heatpipes. A self regulating system. :D

An interesting point. Granted, I didn't stop to think about why heatpipes would potentially fail in cold weather, but that makes sense. I think.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Moved the machine back down to the living room yesterday, put the case panel back on. Running BOINC all night it ran 28C/24C on each core when I got up this morning. The living room is also significantly warmer.

Gillbot

Lifer
Jan 11, 2001
I keep my main rig in the basement. Temps usually top at 67-69F there in the warmer months, I can't wait for winter to hit. ;)

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
Damn I miss living in cold climates. When I lived in WV, the cold always made my computer run better. I'd put on sweats, double socks, a sweater and even a knit cap to keep my computer cool

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
u guys have no idea how hot running all that hardware is.

:T

Just 2 quads in my room loaded all the time = roughly 500W space heater. Thats just cpu and board load.

Add up the PSU + Hard drives, and multiply that in the amount of quads mark has, and you'd understand why he has no option.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Originally posted by: aigomorla
u guys have no idea how hot running all that hardware is.

:T

Just 2 quads in my room loaded all the time = roughly 500W space heater. Thats just cpu and board load.

Add up the PSU + Hard drives, and multiply that in the amount of quads mark has, and you'd understand why he has no option.

And those freaking video cards !!! They seem to put out more heat than the cpu (2 in one quad)