Chrysler workers caught smoking pot and boozing on lunch breaks...AGAIN.

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
The druggie or boozing UAW members I knew used to smugly refer to this as their "fringe benefits"...

Auto workers caught again, but this time on UAW maintained/owned property (UAW swears it knows nothing about it...just like always)

I actually find it somewhat funny the media is even bothering with this now. 20 years ago it was positively RAMPANT, probably much less of a problem today, but the UAW-sympathetic media would NEVER report on it back then. Local parks, parking lots, or bars near the plant would have 10+ car-loads of druggies and drunks getting their buzz on at lunch (or before work) 20 years ago, not just two or three.

Some of these meeting places literally turned into a party one or two days per week, or became the staging/meeting area before moving to another location. e.g Jobbie Nooner

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Union bashing propaganda. Some hypes a non-problem, some hypes bad apples.

Good thing it's only union workers who have ever misbehaved with substance abuse.

Non-union workers and management would not ever do that.

Mad-Men.jpg

Paul98

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2010
The druggie or boozing UAW members I knew used to smugly refer to this as their "fringe benefits"...

Auto workers caught again, but this time on UAW maintained/owned property (UAW swears it knows nothing about it...just like always)

I actually find it somewhat funny the media is even bothering with this now. 20 years ago it was positively RAMPANT, probably much less of a problem today, but the UAW-sympathetic media would NEVER report on it back then. Local parks, parking lots, or bars near the plant would have 10+ car-loads of druggies and drunks getting their buzz on at lunch (or before work) 20 years ago, not just two or three.

Some of these meeting places literally turned into a party one or two days per week, or became the staging/meeting area before moving to another location. e.g Jobbie Nooner

It's not while they are at work, who gives a fuck. This is not news

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Union bashing propaganda. Some hypes a non-problem, some hypes bad apples.
Chrysler is a mismanaged company filled with incompetence. That is why they have required two government bailouts and Daimler drank a jar of syrup of ipecac to rid themselves of it.

A real company would have purged unfit employees long ago. I am not sure if it is a ship of fools or if the union has them by the balls with their hands strapped behind their back.

Daimler realized that they made a massive mistake by buying them. They discovered that the problems are so deep that they cannot be fixed, that is why they sold Chrysler at a massive loss.

Fiat will learn, just like Daimler, that this company is a black hole that will devour its parent company with red ink, cause consumers headaches with poor quality products and hemorrhage the tax payer because politicians do not have the will (mainly due to their union contributors) to see this undead company euthanized.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Schadenfroh: You post above is historically correct, but all indications are (and quite a surprise to me) that Fiat has accomplished a miracle and is turning Chrysler around.
Check out this recent Newsweek article: http://www.newsweek.com/2011/06/05/the-chrysler-miracle.html

Personally I think you are unfair tying the 1970s bailout to the most recent one. The causes were completely different, unlike the airline industry which goes through bailouts, bankruptcies, mergers and workouts on a continual cycle.

matt0611

Golden Member
Oct 22, 2010

It says they're drinking on their lunch breaks.
You think its ok to drink alcohol during lunch breaks then go back to work to make cars that people drive on the road at 70 mph?

This is downright scary.

Turin39789

Lifer
Nov 21, 2000
You think its ok to drink alcohol during lunch breaks then go back to work to make cars that people drive on the road at 70 mph?

This is downright scary.

Is it ok to drink alcohol during lunch breaks then go back to work managing hedge funds that represent the life savings of workers?

I don't think either is ok.

Maybe one drink.

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
Union bashing propaganda.
Sorry but there are lots of unions that should go fuck themselves. Demanding high pay is one thing. Demanding that it's impossible to be fired is another. Those people should be rounded up and arrested, then maybe fired if Chrysler's lawyers can figure out how the fuck to fire a drug addict. They are protected under some hippy liberal descrimination law saying that you can't fire people just because they're drugged out and dangerously incompetent.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Fiat has accomplished a miracle and is turning Chrysler around

History has another example of a Chrysler miracle, substitute Lee Iacocca (first bailout) for Fiat this time around.

mrjminer

Platinum Member
Dec 2, 2005

This is downright scary.

Just like every other company, they assume responsibility when something goes wrong due to gross negligence. The scariest part is that you think this causes, has caused, or will cause serious problems based on years of it having no effect whatsoever, or that you think they're so incapacitated that they are unable to do their job. Like they're all just staggering around with no safety precautions, pre-shipping tests, etc. and that an individual worker builds a car without any checks, then it is directly shipped.

Do I think it's OK to drink alcohol during lunch breaks then go back to work to make cars that people drive on the road at 70 MPH? You're damn right I do. Don't like how they build their cars, then don't buy them. Welcome to America.

Last edited:

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
Haha, fantastic! Keep the dismissals and apologist arguments coming...I'm waiting for one the UAW hasn't used 100x before.

Apologists for what? Workers get caught loafing and partying and it's somehow news because they're union workers? What exactly is your argument here? That they wouldn't be doing this if they weren't in a union?

If anyone understands the point of this thread, let me know.

OlafSicky

Platinum Member
Feb 25, 2011
What do you expect of American workers. The American worker especially UAW worker is synonymous with fat lazy slobs. Americans are some of the most irresponsible lazy workers in the world. It's good that our tax dollars bailed them out. :thumbsdown:

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
Apologists for what? Workers get caught loafing and partying and it's somehow news because they're union workers? What exactly is your argument here? That they wouldn't be doing this if they weren't in a union?

wtf? Do you even have a job? For most of us, drinking and doing illegal shit on the job is reason for immediate firing. If I smoke weed at work, I would be fired. If I show up drunk, I would be fired. I have a friend who really did show up to work drunk and he was fired (movie ticket sales guy). Another friend had to fire someone because she was drinking rum and coke on her lunch break.

At some unions, like UAW, there's just no way to fire anyone. Things that would get normal people fired are not enough to get union people fired. Then the union hates on the guys who are not crackheads because "you guys not-smoking crack are making us all look bad" duuuuurrrrrrrr no shit!

AnonymouseUser

Diamond Member
May 14, 2003

It's a union-bashing thread, nothing more.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
those caught should be fired. IF the union was smart they would be calling for those peoples heads.

I do have problems when someone making my car is getting drunk and high and coming in to work. IF they were doing it at home i wouldn't give a shit.

TheSlamma

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
So when do we finally see this useless automaker go away? Most of their crap use useless "race cars" that no one needs. No wonder they have needed so much gov bailout cash.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007

No, it's better, it's on their lunch break, so they are completely fucking hammered by the time they're back on the line installing your airbags, steering racks, and ECU's.

To be honest, I have seen more than my fair share of people getting drunk, stoned at work (and pulling it off well), hell I've seen literally an entire kitchen, wait, and bus staff tripping on acid, with the managers upstairs railing meth, and it was chaos, it worked, but it never happened again ;). But there are certain jobs that carry with them a degree of responsibility, and assembling automobiles is one of them.

Last edited:

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007

The point is that the people assembling new cars were getting high and drunk WHILE ON THE JOB. It's pretty easy to separate the difference between getting tanked at home, and on one's lunch break.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Sorry but there are lots of unions that should go fuck themselves. Demanding high pay is one thing. Demanding that it's impossible to be fired is another. Those people should be rounded up and arrested, then maybe fired if Chrysler's lawyers can figure out how the fuck to fire a drug addict. They are protected under some hippy liberal descrimination law saying that you can't fire people just because they're drugged out and dangerously incompetent.

First, saying something is anti-union propaganda is not saying 'unions are flawless'.

Second, you are posting a lot of fact-free ideology. It's a baseless rant.