Chronic foot in mouth

nutxo

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001
I've done shit like this a few time in my life but this one is still bugging me.

Recently I noticed a coworker was missing and asked around. I found out the guy was doing some work around the house and cut himself with a sawzall. He was going to be off for a few weeks.

So a few days ago like 5 coworkers and I are standing at the time-clock and the guy walks in and me being the friendly guy I am I pop off with " Hows it going lefty?"

Instantly I notice a lot of wide eyes and a few dropped jaws. The guy turns around and I asked him when he was coming back to work and he held up his hand minus a few digits and with a few sewn back on and with tears in his eyes he says " I dont know if Im coming back"

This keeps fucking happening to me.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Ouch. I did something similar - a coworker was getting married while I was out for a few days. I came back to work and he was there. I said "Man, that was a quick honeymoon, you should see a doctor" (or something to that effect). Turns out he got jilted.

Oops.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Ahhhh I've done stuff like that a few times. What an awful part of life. It's the kind of cringe that comes back years later when you're just about to fall asleep and randomly remember how big of an idiot you were.

My advice would be to swallow your pride, talk to him in person, and say "hey, I wanted to say I'm sorry. I'm not usually an insensitive jerk and I didn't realize the full extent of your situation and I just wanted to apologize because I didn't mean to make you feel bad." I say swallow your pride and do that, because I said something roughly as insensitive to a complete stranger once (same deal, unwitting to his actual situation) and never saw the dude again. 15 years later and it still pops up in my head sometimes. Yay.

wojak.jpg

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
What? Fuck that. I'd have called the guy "Stumpy" or "Jimmy 3-Fingers" or some such shit.
This.

Eff em if they can't take a joke.

And ...lighten up Francis while you're getting off my lawn.

Serious answer, laugh at yourself. Everyone else does so you might as well join in.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
This.

Eff em if they can't take a joke.

And ...lighten up Francis while you're getting off my lawn.

Serious answer, laugh at yourself. Everyone else does so you might as well join in.

If you can't laugh at yourself...make fun of other people.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
If you can't laugh at yourself...make fun of other people.
I do both and am pretty content.

It is "interesting" that 20 years ago I was a very different person and would have beaten some dickhead like he owed me $$.

Today, I'm too old to tote an ass whipping...hence guns.:D

Mar 11, 2004
You should've then gone on a tirade about how people are too fucking PC these days and need to get a sense of humor. /modern comedian

At least then you coulda been internet famous. It might would cost you your job but there'd probably be a gofundme for the guy and he'd end up with his bills paid and enough money to do whatever he wants to.

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
If you have some impulse that your conscience deems inappropriate, one way of handling that is to let it out and face the shame of doing so.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
Are you sure he hadn't just bent his fingers to make them look like they were missing. Haha, joke's on you sucker. ;)

Seriously though, some things you just can't take back and have to live with. They do serve a useful purpose though since you're likely to remember this and be a lot more careful next time.

NesuD

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Dont feel bad. we were cleaning out my dads house after he passed. My step sisters husband John was there sans 3 of four of the fingers
on his right hand that he lost in a work place accident. Someone called out does anyone need a hand and I instantly quipped "John does!"

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
Dont feel bad. we were cleaning out my dads house after he passed. My step sisters husband John was there sans 3 of four of the fingers
on his right hand that he lost in a work place accident. Someone called out does anyone need a hand and I instantly quipped "John does!"

Did john laugh?

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004

wBmdxCY.jpg

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
My dad's missing toes (lawn mower accident)...I had an uncle that lost a finger in table saw.

I used to rent a room to a guy that lost a finger in a helicopter engine (marine mechanic).

It's more common than you think for those who work with machinery to have accidents. Don't feel too bad for him. I'm sure he'll figure out how to masturbate with his club.

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
“While there are certain social graces or politeness which involve not hurting another's feelings ? if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all ? it is very confusing to children. The whole issue of honesty can be very frustrating for parents to teach.”

-Jacqui Rivait