Question Chrome, pages unresponsive. How to disable?

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
So I like Chrome, but fairly recently it's been bugging the hell out of me with its pop up that says, "Pages unresponsive. You can wait for them to become responsive or exit the pages." And then it gives you the option to click Wait or Exit pages.

My pages aren't unresponsive at and that popup is the only thing that is making them that way as it interrupts your typing.

Does anyone know how to disable it? Everything I've googled on how to fix it from re-install, clear cache, clear this, clear that has not worked.

daveybrat

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jan 31, 2000
When it gets too bad i'd suggest backing up your bookmarks (unless you have them synced) and then uninstalling the program. Then go in and delete the 'Userdata' folder and then reinstall the program.

Reactions: paperfist

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
When it gets too bad i'd suggest backing up your bookmarks (unless you have them synced) and then uninstalling the program. Then go in and delete the 'Userdata' folder and then reinstall the program.
Wouldn't Chrome's reset feature suffice? If it didn't I'd probably then go for a full reinstall/delete.

OP, do you have any add-ons installed?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
So I like Chrome, but fairly recently it's been bugging the hell out of me with its pop up that says, "Pages unresponsive. You can wait for them to become responsive or exit the pages." And then it gives you the option to click Wait or Exit pages.

My pages aren't unresponsive at and that popup is the only thing that is making them that way as it interrupts your typing.

Does anyone know how to disable it? Everything I've googled on how to fix it from re-install, clear cache, clear this, clear that has not worked.
Yeah, Firefox does that too. One thing that can cause that to happen ("excessive CPU time"), is a CPU that is overall too slow, or lack of RAM that causes paging / VM thrashing during page loading. (Happens on my 4GB Atom laptop, far, far more than on my 16GB Ryzen R5 1600 CPU desktop PC.)

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com

Thanks I'll try deleting that file.

Wouldn't Chrome's reset feature suffice? If it didn't I'd probably then go for a full reinstall/delete.

OP, do you have any add-ons installed?

I have Dashlane which now that you mention could be problematic. I have Norton's security tool bar and 'Honey' which is a coupon finder which I guess could also be causing an issue. I'll have to try disabling them.

Yeah, Firefox does that too. One thing that can cause that to happen ("excessive CPU time"), is a CPU that is overall too slow, or lack of RAM that causes paging / VM thrashing during page loading. (Happens on my 4GB Atom laptop, far, far more than on my 16GB Ryzen R5 1600 CPU desktop PC.)

I'll have to monitor my CPU usage. Can't be a RAM issue, I have 32GB. My i7-6700k is getting a little old, maybe I should upgrade.