Chrome often unresponsive while browsing (Solved)

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
I can say right away that it's not the extensions because I disabled them for incognito mode - I have a regular Chrome open and then I open incognito and go to a random URL like ford.com. For the incognito window, only the actual page & links respond, but nothing that's part of Chrome such as the URL bar, tabs/new tab, the bookmark buttons up top, or even minimize/restore/close. It's acting like I'm not even clicking on them. As I mentioned, all extensions are off in incognito mode. I can reproduce this issue every time, even after a reboot.

I'm not sure if it's just incognito mode - I thought I've seen a regular Chrome window act unresponsive like this also over the last couple weeks (not the actual loaded page but everything else about Chrome). I have the latest version.

Version 55.0.2883.87 m
Google Chrome is up to date.

Last edited:

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Turn on click-to-play for Flash in Chrome's settings, restart the browser, and see if that helps.

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011
I'm not sure if it's just incognito mode - I thought I've seen a regular Chrome window act unresponsive like this also over the last couple weeks (not the actual loaded page but everything else about Chrome). I have the latest version.

Version 55.0.2883.87 m
Google Chrome is up to date.
Have you checked the cpu and disk utilization to check if theres a process clogging things up?
Chrome and its derivatives have an issue with runaway disk activity and it breaks some chrome functions. Saving your bookmarks and rebuilding the profile directory might help in this case.
http://www.ghacks.net/2013/05/24/google-to-add-profile-reset-feature-to-google-chrome/