Chrome is the best browser now

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
http://youtu.be/njLDgvQDKdE

What do you guys think of that review?

I love Firefox's interface but I must say I like the snapiness of Chrome when it comes to loading webpages

I've never liked Chrome and found it limited with customization compared to Firefox and Opera which are my top favourite two,however each to their own,just remember there are people out there like me that don't like Chrome ;) .

I look at the bigger picture ie speed,customization,security etc,was there not a recent survey by Secunia where Chrome was the least secure browser?

I found the link http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18497379

Last edited:

Berryracer

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2006
Me personally, I am a Firefox user simply because:

1) I hate Chrome's bookmarks manager

Let's say you have a looong list of bookmarks, and you scroll down to the end which takes time and click on a bookmark right at the bottom

then you click the bookmarks button again, it does not remember where you were and you would have to scroll all the way down again to reach the bottom bookmarks

2) I hate its lack of customization in terms of looks

buttttt...I love its snapiness in loading websites, there is no comparison if you load a page in Chrome and load it in Firefox, in Chrome there is 0 lag and the page starts rendering almost instantly...

Anyway, what do browser companies gain when more people use their browser? they're all free anyway, anyone care to explain?

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
I prefer Chromium or Iron over Chrome. I don't want all of Googles crap in my browsers. I also like Opera but Chromium feels snappier overall. At least when it's first installed, after a while it mellows down to where i can't really tell any difference speedwise between different browsers.

Me personally, I am a Firefox user simply because:

1) I hate Chrome's bookmarks manager

Let's say you have a looong list of bookmarks, and you scroll down to the end which takes time and click on a bookmark right at the bottom

then you click the bookmarks button again, it does not remember where you were and you would have to scroll all the way down again to reach the bottom bookmarks

2) I hate its lack of customization in terms of looks

buttttt...I love its snapiness in loading websites, there is no comparison if you load a page in Chrome and load it in Firefox, in Chrome there is 0 lag and the page starts rendering almost instantly...

Anyway, what do browser companies gain when more people use their browser? they're all free anyway, anyone care to explain?

I organize my bookmarks into folders on my toolbar. Like all my Forums are under that particular folder. If i had too many i'd split them up into types of forums. That's how i always did it regardless of Browser.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004

I've wondered this myself. Mozilla's in it for ideological reasons, but the rest of them? My guess is it's for mind share. It gets your brand out there, and can bring in money from secondary endeavors.

I use Firefox, and likely always will. Chrome can't be customize as far, and some things like tabs on top are non-starter. I really hate that, and if Firefox locked the tabs on top for some stupid reason, I'd seriously consider switching to Opera :^D I don't use Opera because it's proprietary software. When there's a good libre choice, I'll always take that first.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
I've wondered this myself. Mozilla's in it for ideological reasons, but the rest of them? My guess is it's for mind share. It gets your brand out there, and can bring in money from secondary endeavors.

I use Firefox, and likely always will. Chrome can't be customize as far, and some things like tabs on top are non-starter. I really hate that, and if Firefox locked the tabs on top for some stupid reason, I'd seriously consider switching to Opera :^D I don't use Opera because it's proprietary software. When there's a good libre choice, I'll always take that first.

You can do what I did with tabs ie use Tab Mix Plus ,allows you to stick tabs at bottom,great for Firefox since I can have it like I use Opera tabs ie at bottom.

Settings is in "Tab Mix Options", "Display" then "Tab Bar".

Last edited:

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I stay away from Chrome with all their tracking garbage.

Yea, there's that too. Berryracer asked why browsers matter when they free. Google has a clear interest in tracking users. That's their whole business model. Regardless of how bad the tracking is today, it could be worse tomorrow since they have incentive to track.

The little boy was walking down a path and he came across a rattlesnake. The rattlesnake was getting old. He asked, "Please little boy, can you take me to the top of the mountain? I hope to see the sunset one last time before I die." The little boy answered "No Mr. Rattlesnake. If I pick you up, you'll bite me and I'll die." The rattlesnake said, "No, I promise. I won't bite you. Just please take me up to the mountain." The little boy thought about it and finally picked up that rattlesnake and took it close to his chest and carried it up to the top of the mountain.

They sat there and watched the sunset together. It was so beautiful. Then after sunset the rattlesnake turned to the little boy and asked, "Can I go home now? I am tired, and I am old." The little boy picked up the rattlesnake and again took it to his chest and held it tightly and safely. He came all the way down the mountain holding the snake carefully and took it to his home to give him some food and a place to sleep. The next day the rattlesnake turned to the boy and asked, "Please little boy, will you take me back to my home now? It is time for me to leave this world, and I would like to be at my home now." The little boy felt he had been safe all this time and the snake had kept his word, so he would take it home as asked.

He carefully picked up the snake, took it close to his chest, and carried him back to the woods, to his home to die. Just before he laid the rattlesnake down, the rattlesnake turned and bit him in the chest. The little boy cried out and threw the snake upon the ground. "Mr. Snake, why did you do that? Now I will surely die!" The rattlesnake looked up at him and grinned, "You knew what I was when you picked me up."

Berryracer

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2006
Well I believe the latest Chrome has an option to turn tracking off

secondly, despite the so called tracking, any page u load in Chrome displays almost instantly but in Firefox, it seems to be thinking....thinking...then when it starts to load its fast...it's just that little delay until it starts to load which makes all the difference to me...

mind you, this is coming from a Firefox fanboy and am still on Firefox as we speak but I am very close to jumping the fence

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
If you use your browser with more than one or two tabs open, Firefox is much less of a memory hog. Google loves to grab as much personal info as it can (legally) grab from the sites you visit. I like the add-ons Firefox has to block this feature.

I have tried Chrome a few times as my primary browser, but keep switching back to Firefox.

I tried Opera again (after several years) back in January, but it still has bugs that make it unusable (aka crashes alot.)

MontyAC

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2004
Well I believe the latest Chrome has an option to turn tracking off

secondly, despite the so called tracking, any page u load in Chrome displays almost instantly but in Firefox, it seems to be thinking....thinking...then when it starts to load its fast...it's just that little delay until it starts to load which makes all the difference to me...

mind you, this is coming from a Firefox fanboy and am still on Firefox as we speak but I am very close to jumping the fence

Run SUPERAntiSpyware and see what Chrome has installed on your PC. I'll stay with FF and the slightly slower loading of sites.

Last edited:

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
I would not touch Chrome. It sneakily installed itself in my system when I was updating Flash - seems there is a little checkbox that is default ON. Anyway, it destroyed all my links and setups, and took me some time to get rid of it and restore my system. I use Google a lot, but at arm's l;ength and ever wary. I simply do not trust them.

Berryracer

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2006
guess ill just stick to my Firefox then...

strange thing Firefox seems snapier these days I am not getting that lag when I enter a URL anymore and the pages are loading almost instantly

maybe it was a problem with my ISP before

using FF 19.0.2 now

IGemini

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 2010
Review was more impartial than the OP title. Faster =/= better. Chrome has some nice features but was ultimately lacking in a lot of things that were important to me in Firefox, like blocking a lot of elements in browsing I didn't want. Once v20 is released in the next couple weeks most of those benefits belonging to Chrome will vanish.

2timer

Golden Member
Apr 20, 2012
I use Google Chrome. It's fast and lightweight and the interface feels extremely intuitive to me. I don't like Firefox, it just feels slow and clunky.

Shephard

Nov 3, 2012
Chome tracks and you is a casual browser. Doesn't have the amount of settings you can tweak like Firefox.

Firefox is super fast and has a way better layout.

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
Chrome is my favorite. FF lost me when they kept breaking my extensions.

jkroeder

Dec 7, 2009
I've never liked Chrome and found it limited with customization compared to Firefox and Opera which are my top favourite two,however each to their own,just remember there are people out there like me that don't like Chrome ;) .

I look at the bigger picture ie speed,customization,security etc,was there not a recent survey by Secunia where Chrome was the least secure browser?

I found the link http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18497379

It's misleading to say a browser is the least secure simply going by vulnerability count.

Not all organizations disclose vulnerabilities the same.
The amount of vulnerabilities does not equal exploits
Not all vulnerabilities are equal.
Google pays for submitting vulnerabilities
How often and quickly are the vulnerabilities fixed?

According to cvedetails in 2012;

Google Chrome = 249 vulnerabilities - 195 (78%) were DoS ulnerabilities - 13 (5%) were code execution

Mozilla Firefox = 162 vulnerabilities - 69 (43%) were DoS vulnerabilities - 105 (65%) were code execution

Internet Explorer = 23 vulnerabilities - 1 (4%) was a DoS vulnerability - 16 (70%) were code execution

http://www.cvedetails.com/product/15031/Google-Chrome.html?vendor_id=1224
http://www.cvedetails.com/product/3264/Mozilla-Firefox.html?vendor_id=452
http://www.cvedetails.com/product/124/Microsoft-IE.html?vendor_id=26

As for privacy issues, that's why there's a privacy section in the settings to opt-out of certain Google "features". If you still don't trust it and you still like the Chromium architecture, you have Chromium builds.

http://www.chromium.org/getting-involved/download-chromium

Last edited:

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Firefox is pretty slow, it's still single threaded. I think their multi-threaded project has been canned for the most part.

I wouldn't say it's slow, but it isn't the fastest either. None of them are the fastest, except for the one that is. Speed is a good standard to judge by, but I don't think it should be the primary benchmark. The network is the biggest cause of latency, and even a slow browser(let's say IE7(the slowest I ever used)) is fast enough.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
It's misleading to say a browser is the least secure simply going by vulnerability count.

Not all organizations disclose vulnerabilities the same.
The amount of vulnerabilities does not equal exploits
Not all vulnerabilities are equal.
Google pays for submitting vulnerabilities
How often and quickly are the vulnerabilities fixed?

According to cvedetails in 2012;

Google Chrome = 249 vulnerabilities - 195 (78%) were DoS ulnerabilities - 13 (5%) were code execution

Mozilla Firefox = 162 vulnerabilities - 69 (43%) were DoS vulnerabilities - 105 (65%) were code execution

Internet Explorer = 23 vulnerabilities - 1 (4%) was a DoS vulnerability - 16 (70%) were code execution

http://www.cvedetails.com/product/15031/Google-Chrome.html?vendor_id=1224
http://www.cvedetails.com/product/3264/Mozilla-Firefox.html?vendor_id=452
http://www.cvedetails.com/product/124/Microsoft-IE.html?vendor_id=26

As for privacy issues, that's why there's a privacy section in the settings to opt-out of certain Google "features". If you still don't trust it and you still like the Chromium architecture, you have Chromium builds.

http://www.chromium.org/getting-involved/download-chromium

To be fair I backed up my statement by showing a link so don't shoot the messenger( also Secunia is well respected)anyway I don't like or use Chrome so its not going to effect my security one way or the other.

Why should I use Chromium when I'm more then happy with Firefox and Opera :) .

Btw if I was going for a third browser option it would be Waterfox which I have always liked,I fogot to say tried Chromium on one of my Linux Distro's awhile back, did not like it all.

Last edited:

Shephard

Nov 3, 2012
how can you say it's slow? you must have a slow computer or connection because I have 0 problems. Also my Firefox never crashes.