chrome extension that stops page moving around while loading?

tommo123

Platinum Member
Sep 25, 2005
e.g say you were loading the hume thread and jumped to the bottom to read something. the images loading above would constantly cause the page to move instead of leaving your view the same but the downloading etc happening off screen and not interfering with what you're doing.

any ideas?

MushyNAT

Jun 14, 2017
To the best of my knowledge, every browser does this and the functionality you're looking for cannot be done. It's ultimately a limitation of the page design itself, borders/frames/etc are drawn dynamically based on the content placed in them to facilitate the page looking correct on a wide variety of browsers/monitors/resolutions/devices/etc.

In order for the behavior you're talking about to occur, the browser would need knowledge of the dimensions of that dynamic content *before* that content exists in order to load a "placeholder" spot of the same size, which logically cannot be done, nor would you want it to be unless you like pages needing to essentially load twice. Alternatively, the page would need to be designed with static dimensions (e.g. the sidebar is *always* exactly 600px wide) to prevent that "jumping" effect. Which again, isn't done for compatibility reasons.

Reactions: tommo123

tommo123

Platinum Member
Sep 25, 2005
i was hoping it could lock onto some content on the page you're viewing at the time. like on this site just a post number would do. you scroll to what you want, that stays on screen (even if as an image or something), the page loads and jumps to the content you were looking at.

it must be possible. I mean whether you're looking at text or an image there's some identifiable detail there. maybe it's not feasible?

it would be nice though.

thanks for the reply man

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Internet speed seems to be related. I see the page change size much more often when visiting my parents, for example, than when loading it from home
Ad-blocks help too, as the top page ads are notorious for changing size.

Reactions: VirtualLarry