Christmas Lights Outside

Sniper82

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
I don't know much about electric but when putting lighting outside ain't there a risk of getting electrocuted when it snows/rains if everything is powered on?

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
not if you have outdoor rated lights. surprisingly they have thought of that!
the sockets and such are sealed enough and they are fused. you will only get a poke if you are stupid. 120v just feels like a tingle. :)

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Originally posted by: Sniper82
I don't know much about electric but when putting lighting outside ain't there a risk of getting electrocuted when it snows/rains if everything is powered on?

Yep...Americans have just been lucky for the past 50 or so years...

or just maybe...(as herm0016 said) they have actually invented lights that are made to be weather resistant enough to be used outside...

Nah...you'd better stick with lucky...:roll:

GeekDrew

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000
The bulb fixtures on strings are generally water resistant, and aren't going to cause a problem. The exposed female plug(s) on those cords, however, can pose a problem. Most people don't address the issue, and are OK, but I strongly recommend that all outdoor lighting be connected to GFCI protected circuits. Failure to do so could potentially cause fire, injury, or death (read: liability) under certain circumstances.

Leros

Lifer
Jul 11, 2004
When it snows, you can see glowing lights underneath the snow. :D Thats the best.

rockyct

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2001
GFCI. The same thing that protects you from dying if a plugged in hair dryer falls in falls into the tub while your taking a bath, also prevents your Christmas lights from becoming an electrified fence if it's raining out. A GFCI compares the current flowing through the hot and the neutral. If they are not equal because current is flowing to ground (and possibly through a person), it cuts the circuit.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Fuses won't protect you from electrocution - the current that kills you is much much lower than what a fuse is rated for. The fuses protect against fire hazards from short circuits, not electrocution. Although, as GeekDrew pointed out, the fixtures are fairly water resistant. GFCI should be used in damp locations, including outdoor lighting, as a safety measure. (I think code now requires all outdoor outlets to be GFCI protected.)