Christmas gift ideas for kids-

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I'm struggling because my daughter is 6....will be 7 in July.

I'm trying to find some good gift idea lists with the hottest toys and can't seem to find a good BIG gift for her. I ask her what she wants and she says "art supplies"....but she's not a big artist. Just curious if someone has a good reference for parents this season. Amazon's toy lists are promoted based on what they make the most money on and aren't accurate. Too many "big" gifts like those LOL things and hatchimals have ZERO staying power as gifts. Once you open them, the fun is over. They're a total waste and I want to get her something decently big and fun.

I'm going to spin my wheels trying to come up with ideas the next few days before the shipping windows close. If anyone with a 7-9 year old girl has had any success with a gift, please send the ideas my way.

For a 3-5 year old boy, I got my son this last year:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Dickie-T...MIkvCoqL-a3wIVjY3ICh1wDwItEAQYAyABEgJCV_D_BwE

It was really cool....lasted about 6 months before it started falling apart, but he played with it plenty. The joystick levers broke because it was abused by a 3 year old....and eventually the legs came off and the cables came off...but it presented really well when setup on Christmas morning. I paid $13 for it from Toys R Us last year. I think the best price I've seen this year is $17-18

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
What is your price range for a big gift?

She says she wants art supplies. Does she spend time on art? At six years old, it doesn't matter if she's any good, only that she has an interest in trying. Good colored pencils and nice paper might be a thing. Crappy art supplies are frustrating so a few good pencils are more better than a bunch of cheap ones.

A nice magnifying glass would be cool at that age and would apply to art as well as general learning.

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
No kids here and not a girl but as a 6-7 year old 20+ short years ago, I remember the best bigger gifts I got. A 61 key electric keyboard that sparked a lifelong interest in classical piano, and various erector set kits that I really think were great for teaching how to put things together.

The PS1 with Crash Bandicoot was pretty awesome too.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
What is your price range for a big gift?

She says she wants art supplies. Does she spend time on art? At six years old, it doesn't matter if she's any good, only that she has an interest in trying. Good colored pencils and nice paper might be a thing. Crappy art supplies are frustrating so a few good pencils are more better than a bunch of cheap ones.

A nice magnifying glass would be cool at that age and would apply to art as well as general learning.
My wife and I hit up Walmart last night and I was going to get her a bunch of stuff to draw, but my wife went and got two of everything. She's giving the same art gifts to her brother. I

I guess I'm really looking for something big/expensive to be THE gift at this point. If it's something popular, she'll probably know about it. I just don't know what's big this year and the shopping guides aren't telling me anything.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
No kids here and not a girl but as a 6-7 year old 20+ short years ago, I remember the best bigger gifts I got. A 61 key electric keyboard that sparked a lifelong interest in classical piano, and various erector set kits that I really think were great for teaching how to put things together.

The PS1 with Crash Bandicoot was pretty awesome too.
Good call. I got my kids a piano earlier this year off facebook marketplace. I was able to tune the thing and they pound the keys fairly regularly. Eventually, I want to start her on piano lessons, but at 6....she's got the desire, but not the patience for it...very soon.

My wife got her some girl legos. I think the set was $36, but my fear is that she's going to see the presentation for our 4 year old's gifts and feel shorted. That's what this thread is really about. He has a few Paw Patrol toys and some other things that are going to make her stash seem less impressive. I feel like she's already in that in-between age where the toys are less fun. She wants a puppy....but that's a big no.

ctbaars

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2009
6 years old?
Definitely time for an iPhoneX.
Too much?

Okay.
Poof Nerf bats.
Sidewalk chalk.
Something more whole family participation orientated; Frisbee Disc golf goal targets.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
How about a "starter" easel and some basic watercolor paints with a few different brushes? Plus one of those paint palette things, and some Bob Ross DVDs or something.

Nov 20, 2009
My wife and I struggled with getting grand-nieces/nephews gifts as we never had children. We asked the parents for ideas and that worked. Being the parent and not knowing makes it harder. Has your daughter not said anything?

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Too bad DOOM Eternal isn't due until after Christmas. A decent stereo microscope is always good.