Christmas decorations at work. UPDATE: Jesus won!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
The f*scking war on Christmas is a joke.

I live in what is considered by many to be the most "liberal" state.

I can walk down Main street in my town this time of year and see mangers in front of the three churches. Or in front of two private homes. Or see Merry Christmas signs in over half the shops.

About the only place I don't see Christmas decorations is in front of the police station and city hall.

Hell, you can't walk down a street in my town and not see Merry Christmas or Christmas decorations.

There ain't no war on Christmas. The Pagans surrendered.

CountZero

Golden Member
Jul 10, 2001
I see the war on christmas crap here pretty regularly but it is TX so what do I expect. There's a strong victim mentality for a fair number of people that are increasingly becoming the minority here and that is scary.

I couldn't find numbers but I think there are a fair number of non-christians that celebrate christmas for a lot of the same reasons we celebrate thanksgiving. I know I'm a non-christian that enjoys christmas.

I've never met anyone (including when I lived in Seattle and worked in that liberal land that is Whole Foods) who was offended at all by the mention of or celebration of christmas. On the flip side I think if you are offended by someone saying 'happy holidays' you have got to get your priorities straight.

IMO christmas trees are not generally offensive and while not 100% inclusive unless they are festooned with angels and crosses are pretty much a celebration of a holiday which many non-christians participate in. Ending a 20 year tradition is kind of dumb. Manger scene on the other hand I think would be crossing the line.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
The origin of the "Christmas tree" has nothing to do with Christianity. Well, "fake" trees maybe....

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
the pagan tree should be decorated only with little menorah, dradel, and half moon ornaments.

JM Aggie08

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
I have more important things to worry about other than people's opinions on Christmas trees.

What the hell is wrong with some of you?

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
One of my staff just slapped a giant Santa Claus on my window. I should probably inform HR. :hmm:

KT

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Seems like you do care about it, since you are complaining about it. :hmm:

Nah, it was just an observation I wanted to share with my AT homies. :wub:

I have lights on my house and we are getting a tree this week. ():)

Jun 26, 2007
Dafuq does a christmas tree have to do with Christianity? There is nothing about it in the bible and it's origins are pagan.

Not even Christmas has anything to do with Jesus, it's Horus fucking birthday. Jesus's birthday is sometime in the summer.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Dafuq does a christmas tree have to do with Christianity? There is nothing about it in the bible and it's origins are pagan.

Not even Christmas has anything to do with Jesus, it's Horus fucking birthday. Jesus's birthday is sometime in the summer.

I thought they nailed baby jeebus to a Christmas tree in the bible?

KT

Jun 26, 2007
I thought they nailed baby jeebus to a Christmas tree in the bible?

KT

That's a common misconception, they threw him into a burning bush i believe... I interpret that as a metaphor for incest with his redheaded mother Mary.

I dunno really, i've only read it in Arameic and i do not understand Arameic.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
That's a common misconception, they threw him into a burning bush i believe... I interpret that as a metaphor for incest with his redheaded mother Mary.

I dunno really, i've only read it in Arameic and i do not understand Arameic.

Ah yes, that makes sense. Then the virgin bush spat out a new jeebus. I remember now.

KT

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
Working in IT we have 2 christmas trees. We decided we needed to have redundancy in the Christmas tree area...:thumbsup:

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001

Christians had a habit of taking Pagan rituals and turning them into their own to help assimilate followers. I think the modern Christmas tree originated in Germany a few hundred years ago.

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
I think everyone should be able to buy "christmas bats" that can be used to bash the heads in of anyone complaining about the presence or absence of a christmas tree.

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
What kind of IT outfit are you!? You ought to have little parity trees! :colbert:

IT Operations for a major corporation. We have 2 6xfoot trees. We decorate them wife fiber jumpers, RSA Key fobs and other Misc IT stuff. I think there is even a bad T1 card for Cisco router on one of them.

Jun 26, 2007
Christians had a habit of taking Pagan rituals and turning them into their own to help assimilate followers. I think the modern Christmas tree originated in Germany a few hundred years ago.

In England we had Christmas trees with lights in them before anyone knew what Christmas was, same for Scandinavian nations and thus most of Europe at one point.

But yes the Christian version of the pagan tree was adopted sometime in the 1500's in Germany.

For a long time it was forbidden simply because it was a pagan tradition. Didn't stop the practice everywhere though.

Now if we can only figure out what a bunny rabbit has to do with Jesus dying (another stolen holiday that has nothing to do with Jesus's death, i believe the date was taken from the story of Mithras originally).

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
So, today the bats in my department went out and bought a fake Christmas tree and spent the entire afternoon decorating it but after lunch they were all in an uproar over the fact that we didn't have a Christmas tree in the lobby. The company bought a bunch of poinsettias, a huge wreath and decorated the lobby with that. Apparently, they want to be PC for non-Christian employees, vendors, and customers.

Holy shit, you should have heard the outrage, "When I started working here they had a Christmas tree in the lobby and I was so happy to be working for a company that was Christian...blah blah blah."

Anyone really give a fuck about this stuff? :rolleyes:

UPDATE: Jesus won. There will be a Christmas tree in the lobby by the end of the day tomorrow.

That is great news! There is nothing wrong with having a Christmas Tree in the lobby. No one should be butt hurt over it.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
IT Operations for a major corporation. We have 2 6xfoot trees. We decorate them wife fiber jumpers, RSA Key fobs and other Misc IT stuff. I think there is even a bad T1 card for Cisco router on one of them.

I was mostly joking about parity vs. redundancy. :p

Nov 29, 2006
Ill clue you guys in....Jesus always wins. Its how things began and how they will end. :)

Christ-Jesus_on_Cross+%281%29.png

2085262_o.gif