Christians: What was the topic of the sermon at your church today?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Mean MrMustard

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2001
Skroob,

Don't try to mix religion with rationality they don't mix, as we've seen before on here. It's best to just nod and smile.

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000
Originally posted by: ELP
Skroob,

Don't try to mix religion with rationality they don't mix, as we've seen before on here. It's best to just nod and smile.

indeed

i didnt go to church today. a while back i realized that id been fed christianity up the ass all my life (from the most close-minded of christians) and since then ive really thought about it. particularly when i decided id read the bible, see what i thought myself and came upon a passage about God wanting this guy to knock up his dead brothers wife so she could have a son for her dead husband

the guy was doin his thing....and then he had a pang of morality or soemthing,. pulled out, god killed him

i stopped reading at that point. sometimes i go to church, sometimes i spend all day thinking about what ive been taught all my life and wonder why was it "fill in the blank" that i was taught, why not something else, why did they get to decide how i had to live?

then i remember i hate people because most of them are closes minded and self-serving and i go have some cookies or something. cookes > people

when do we get a cookie emoticon btw? bah

edit: when i was there last week the pastor was continuing a series of messages on the different names of god and what they meant and how they related to how each particular name was used in a particular instance in scripture.

Palek

Jun 20, 2001
Dear Flyermax2k3
1. If you were truly a believer of Jesus then you would not be trying to ruin a thread such as this unless you were blinded by your sin (which in your case seems to be pride and hypocrisy), so take the log out of your own eye before pointing out the specks in the eyes of Christians that go to evil (sic) churches.
2. Jesus told his believers, "For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them." (Mat. 18:20). This is what the first fellowship of believers did: "They devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching and to the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer." (Acts 2:42) This fellowship of believers is the church. If you think churches (fellowships of believers) are evil, then you are truly decieved.
3. Please stop taking this thread off the original topic. The entire forum is well aware of your views already, so there really is no need to advertise them anymore. But you could just start a new thread if you insist, just take it outside.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
came upon a passage about God wanting this guy to knock up his dead brothers wife so she could have a son for her dead husband

the guy was doin his thing....and then he had a pang of morality or soemthing,. pulled out, god killed him
I'm sure others have interpreted that differently, and although I used to think that interpretations were purely subjective, evidence can effectively be used to lead one to a "correct" interpretation. For example, particular knowledge about the culture of the time or customs will lend insight to something and one will draw a conclusion different from what they'd otherwise draw.

bleeb

Lifer
Feb 3, 2000
Topic today was...

The story of Jacob and how he wrestles with God, and won't release God, until he blesses him. The sermon regards how we wrestle with the world and with God and the significance of the greater losing to the lesser. i.e. God losing to Us or God letting Us win... Also the phrase of "God Helps Those who Help Themselves" and how it conflicts with the teaching of scripture.

Flyermax2k3

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2003
Originally posted by: Palek
Dear Flyermax2k3
1. If you were truly a believer of Jesus then you would not be trying to ruin a thread such as this unless you were blinded by your sin (which in your case seems to be pride and hypocrisy), so take the log out of your own eye before pointing out the specks in the eyes of Christians that go to evil (sic) churches.
2. Jesus told his believers, "For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them." (Mat. 18:20). This is what the first fellowship of believers did: "They devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching and to the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer." (Acts 2:42) This fellowship of believers is the church. If you think churches (fellowships of believers) are evil, then you are truly decieved.
3. Please stop taking this thread off the original topic. The entire forum is well aware of your views already, so there really is no need to advertise them anymore. But you could just start a new thread if you insist, just take it outside.

:confused: What thread are you reading? :confused:
1) You're not familiar with the concept of hypocrisy, are you? "remove the log from your own eye before point out the speck in your brother's" "if you were truly a believer in Jesus you wouldn't be trying to ruin a thread such as this" ROFLMFAO!!!!! Thanks, I needed a good laugh :) "And the eleventh commandment: do not voice your opinion in religious threads on ATOT if your name is Flyermax!!!!!!!!"
rolleye.gif

2) Organized religion has nothing to do with gathering together with those of like mind, and everything to do with oppressing the masses.
3) Apparently not, or else Skoorb wouldn't have asked me the questions he did.

Flyermax2k3

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2003
Originally posted by: Skoorb
Originally posted by: Flyermax2k3

You said organized religion is evil, but you are a Christian? Also, how exactly do you know how to follow his word, which you profess to do, if organized religion is evil (inclining one to think that you don't listen to what they say)?

Being a Christian has NOTHING to do with organized religion. As I've already stated: I don't go to church. Following His word has nothing to do with organized religion either. There's this nifty little manual for Christians called the Bible :)
You do realize that the bible is nothing more than a conglomeration of books? And do you know who decided which books dating back to the early first millennium would be put together and called "The Bible"? Early Church leaders! So, by following the bible, whether you profess to follow organized religion or not, you're following God's word - as identified by organized religion.

So because G-d used man to spread His word His word is somehow invalid? Sorry, unlike most of the pagans here I can see a deeper meaning behind earthly events than what is on the surface. The how does not explain the why.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
So because G-d used man to spread His word His word is somehow invalid? Sorry, unlike most of the pagans here I can see a deeper meaning behind earthly events than what is on the surface. The how does not explain the why.
I didn't say his word was invalid. I merely said that a lot of books were considered to be in the bible and those who finally decided that this particular set of books would be what we now know as the bible, were part of _organized religion_. So the institution that you consider to be evil is also the same institution that put together what you know as the bible. To circumvent this fact you'd have to read through all of the books yourself and decide which should be in your own flyermax version of the bible. Somehow I doubt you did that. You probably read the king james or any other version - another version which was also identified by organized religion.

And you have to admit that Palek has a point. The bible's view of what God wants you to do and who you want to be doesn't mesh well with your thread crap in the second post of the thread. Doesn't mesh well at all.

Gravity

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2003
Today it was about Job. The message was about being Christlike and in His service to the point where the devil gets annoyed. The preacher didn't yell until it was almost over which was a relief.

Gravity

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2003
Originally posted by: Nocturnal
How often does your church talk about the Rapture and the book of Revelations?

Every Wed night for the last 2 years. Escatology can be grueling.

Flyermax2k3

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2003
I didn't say his word was invalid. I merely said that a lot of books were considered to be in the bible and those who finally decided that this particular set of books would be what we now know as the bible, were part of _organized religion_. So the institution that you consider to be evil is also the same institution that put together what you know as the bible. To circumvent this fact you'd have to read through all of the books yourself and decide which should be in your own flyermax version of the bible. Somehow I doubt you did that. You probably read the king james or any other version - another version which was also identified by organized religion.

And you have to admit that Palek has a point. The bible's view of what God wants you to do and who you want to be doesn't mesh well with your thread crap in the second post of the thread. Doesn't mesh well at all.

I must reiterate my previous statements. All the "but man did this, organized religion did that" in the world doesn't change the fact that it's still His word and His will *will* be done regardless of man's ambitions.
And to your last comment: no man knows what lies in another man's heart, only G-d. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone. No one is without sin, definitely not me.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
I must reiterate my previous statements. All the "but man did this, organized religion did that" in the world doesn't change the fact that it's still His word and His will *will* be done regardless of man's ambitions.
And to your last comment: no man knows what lies in another man's heart, only G-d. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.
My point is clear: you don't know what his word is. You say it's the bible, but that clearly isn't the case for you, since organized religion identified what you know as the bible. Why would you trust it to tell you what his word is? Every time you read the bible you're putting your trust in it as being true, although it was created by organized religion. How do you know that their evil ways didn't leave out a book that should be in it, or add one that shouldn't be?

Palek

Jun 20, 2001
1) You're not familiar with the concept of hypocrisy, are you? "remove the log from your own eye before point out the speck in your brother's" "if you were truly a believer in Jesus you wouldn't be trying to ruin a thread such as this" ROFLMFAO!!!!! Thanks, I needed a good laugh :) "And the eleventh commandment: do not voice your opinion in religious threads on ATOT if your name is Flyermax!!!!!!!!"
rolleye.gif

2) Organized religion has nothing to do with gathering together with those of like mind, and everything to do with oppressing the masses.
1.Well, okay, thread title : "Christians: What was the topic of the sermon at your church today?"
Your response : "BTW, I don't go to church, organized religion is evil."
If that is not thread-crapping, I don't know what is. And why would you want to thread-crap in a thread started about what people learned about God today? Do you need further clarification?
Please answer me this: why did you feel compelled to add that little remark to the end of your post? What was your motivation if not to take the thread off topic and turn attention to yourself? While I know that many ATOT members do not think they have to respect the original poster, I would expect you, as the ambassador of God you claim to be, to be much, much more respectful.
2. The meaning of the word church was originally "gathering of believers", and for many it still means exactly that and nothing more. Therefore to make a blanket statement like "I don't go to church, organized religion is evil" is ignorant at best.
3. Oh well, more attention to you.

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000
came upon a passage about God wanting this guy to knock up his dead brothers wife so she could have a son for her dead husband

I'm sure others have interpreted that differently, and although I used to think that interpretations were purely subjective, evidence can effectively be used to lead one to a "correct" interpretation. For example, particular knowledge about the culture of the time or customs will lend insight to something and one will draw a conclusion different from what they'd otherwise draw.

oh sure, customs and what not of the time. i could have gotten some of it a tad wrong mind you, but im pretty sure thats about how it went. and im pretty sure i thought it was scary that god could tell you what to do (and that was the first time i was afraid of god) and kill you if you didnt do it just because he said do it. it seriously freaked me out for a while.

that and it still sounded pretty fvcked up to me and after a while i got tired of thinking about it. id invite people to pm me and help me look at it another way, but with my luck, id get someone very annoying to pm me and then id be pissed at myself and i dont want to wake up in the morning with something more obnoxious than "add 3" guaranteed" to my inbox (btw...want 3"? give it a rub...)

bah, im rambling, its time i stopped.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Ahhhhhhh, a pissing contest between christians of various flavors.....I feel like I'm back in Pensacola.

Palek

Jun 20, 2001
Originally posted by: kage69
Ahhhhhhh, a pissing contest between christians of various flavors.....I feel like I'm back in Pensacola.
Lovely, isn't it? :(

Btw, it's "australopithecus".

Keego

Diamond Member
Aug 15, 2000
Originally posted by: Trevelyan
Originally posted by: Astaroth33
Originally posted by: Nocturnal
Rip, do you ever speak in tongues when you are praying or celebrating? I am not baptised anything but I do believe in God. I pray almost everyday when I can. I have asked numerous times for him to come into my heart and better me as a person. How does one know when Jesus is taking over of one's live?

You'll know :) The only fear one should have is that of the L-rd. Fear nothing but His wrath. Don't be concerned for the future, just live your life according to His word and everything will turn out fine in the end. Remember, it takes a conscious effort on your part. It's not as though G-d will just take over your life and make all your decisions for you. This is something many born-again Christians just expect to happen but this goes against the concept of free will. You have to meet Him halfway, and He'll do the rest :)

Yes, fear His wrath, for He will come down on you like a ton of bricks and deny you entry to heaven should you actually dare to spell out "God" or "Lord"..

Yeah I was wondering the same thing... why don't you spell out Lord or God? It's not like your taking His name in vain... I doubt God wants you to censor yourself when you're talking to other people about Him.

Actually, it is my belief that to spell His *name* is to take His *name* in vain. As stated in previous posts detailing my beliefs, I share the same beliefs as the Jews, with the exception that I am a Christian and belief that "Jesus Christ" Yeshua HaMashiach is salvation.

Flyermax2k3, please read 2nd Corinthians 3:7 -ch4 and give me your opinion on your beliefs. To me that seems to say the old covenant is taken away and the new covenant is way better :)

przero

Platinum Member
Dec 30, 2000
Our Pastor began a study on the book of Acts. Chap. 1 verses 1-6. How the Jesus told the Apostles to wait in Jerusalem for the Baptism of the Holy Spirit. Our Pastor is a great Bible teacher. He's Jewish, so that gives us a new perspective. One of the few Jewish Southern Baptist preachers!

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Lovely, isn't it?

Indeed, although it doesn't come close to watchin a fundie get all frothy over Genesis, or squirm when asked to identify the father of Joseph. I almost miss hearing about the latest nutjobs at Brownsville....almost.

Btw, it's "australopithecus".

That's actually the way I had it, until someone here said pretty much the same thing as you, with an "a" though. It did look odd to me at the time, and I was lazy, so I changed it. Guess I need to stick with my instincts, eh?

Flyermax2k3

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2003
Originally posted by: Keego

Flyermax2k3, please read 2nd Corinthians 3:7 -ch4 and give me your opinion on your beliefs. To me that seems to say the old covenant is taken away and the new covenant is way better :)

I've had this argument with many Christians. I've yet to be convinced otherwise but have done some convincing :) The problem with that interpretation is that it's nothing more than an interpretation of the surface text without consideration for just what the old covenant truly was.
The whole idea behind the need for a "new covenant" is that man could not be saved through works alone (i.e., adherance to the law) or by sacrificing animals so it was necessarry for Jesus to become the sin sacrifice so that man could be saved. If adherance to the law was man's only salvation we'd all be sitting around sacrificing animals 24/7 to make up for our sins. G-d knew this, so He gave us Jesus instead. This is why Jesus is sometimes called "The Lamb of G-d".
Make sense? I'm not saying you have to agree with me, but that's what I believe.

Flyermax2k3

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2003
Originally posted by: Palek
rolleye.gif

1.Well, okay, thread title : "Christians: What was the topic of the sermon at your church today?"
Your response : "BTW, I don't go to church, organized religion is evil."
If that is not thread-crapping, I don't know what is. And why would you want to thread-crap in a thread started about what people learned about God today? Do you need further clarification?
Please answer me this: why did you feel compelled to add that little remark to the end of your post? What was your motivation if not to take the thread off topic and turn attention to yourself? While I know that many ATOT members do not think they have to respect the original poster, I would expect you, as the ambassador of God you claim to be, to be much, much more respectful.
2. The meaning of the word church was originally "gathering of believers", and for many it still means exactly that and nothing more. Therefore to make a blanket statement like "I don't go to church, organized religion is evil" is ignorant at best.
3. Oh well, more attention to you.

1) Because G-d gave me free will, so I can. I didn't realize it was against the rules to state one's beliefs on ATOT. Guess I should just become a pagan so I can be more widely accepted by the masses
rolleye.gif

2) You're right. That's what church *should* be, but not what it *is*.

Flyermax2k3

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2003
And to your last comment: no man knows what lies in another man's heart, only G-d. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.
My point is clear: you don't know what his word is. You say it's the bible, but that clearly isn't the case for you, since organized religion identified what you know as the bible. Why would you trust it to tell you what his word is? Every time you read the bible you're putting your trust in it as being true, although it was created by organized religion. How do you know that their evil ways didn't leave out a book that should be in it, or add one that shouldn't be?

There's no convincing you, Skoorb. I've had my say and I'm certainly not going to lose my faith because some 1337 h4x0r on teh intarweb tells me I don't know what I'm talking about.