Christians: What was the topic of the sermon at your church today?

Riprorin

Banned
Apr 25, 2000
My Pastor is doing a series of sermons on James 4:6-10, the title of the sermon was "Live Clean".

James 4:6-10

But he gives us more grace. That is why Scripture says:
"God opposes the proud
but gives grace to the humble."
Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. Come near to God and he will come near to you. Wash your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded. Grieve, mourn and wail. Change your laughter to mourning and your joy to gloom. Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up.

The basic message was just as we need to keep physically clean to stay healthy we need to remain spirtitually clean. Just as you collect dirt on the outside, dirt clings to your spirit. We need to purify our hearts, submit to God by living what we believe, resist the Devil, and draw near to God by wanting to live in His presence. Our reaction is to cover up "dirt" and hide it, but sin will find us out and we ultimately become our secrets. The Devil wants the secrets to continue to that they become a pattern. These patterns of behavior cause us to coast through life, marriage, etc. so that we live in a way that's less than God's will for us. The Devil wants to keep us in bad patterns of behavior so that selfishness takes control.

To resist these patterns of behavior is hard work; you have to go against human nature. Don't cover it up; clean it up. When we confess to God, we say that we agree with God's will for us - we "come clean". When we come clean we will draw near to God and He will draw close to us. Keeping clean is a continuous process. God has the power to make us clean and create new patterns of behavior.

We need to admit the issues in our life and capture every thought and action in obedience to Jesus Christ and we need to be honest with and pray for each other. When we are open with God, we can be open with our confessions with each other and the Devil cannot get a foothold in our hearts.

That's about the best that I can recollect. One interesting point that he made is that our immediate reactions to things are quite revealing, such as our reaction when we encounter a bad driver!

Anyway, I'm curious what other Christians learned at church today!

Flyermax2k3

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2003
The topic of my "church sermon" was: Love your fellow man as yourself. If you follow one rule in the Bible let this be it. BTW, I don't go to church, organized religion is evil.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Flyermax2k3
The topic of my "church sermon" was: Love your fellow man as yourself. If you follow one rule in the Bible let this be it. BTW, I don't go to church, organized religion is evil.

Well, that was quick

Nocturnal

Lifer
Jan 8, 2002
Rip, do you ever speak in tongues when you are praying or celebrating? I am not baptised anything but I do believe in God. I pray almost everyday when I can. I have asked numerous times for him to come into my heart and better me as a person. How does one know when Jesus is taking over of one's live?

Flyermax2k3

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2003
Originally posted by: Nocturnal
Rip, do you ever speak in tongues when you are praying or celebrating? I am not baptised anything but I do believe in God. I pray almost everyday when I can. I have asked numerous times for him to come into my heart and better me as a person. How does one know when Jesus is taking over of one's live?

You'll know :) The only fear one should have is that of the L-rd. Fear nothing but His wrath. Don't be concerned for the future, just live your life according to His word and everything will turn out fine in the end. Remember, it takes a conscious effort on your part. It's not as though G-d will just take over your life and make all your decisions for you. This is something many born-again Christians just expect to happen but this goes against the concept of free will. You have to meet Him halfway, and He'll do the rest :)

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001

You'll know :) The only fear one should have is that of the L-rd. Fear nothing but His wrath. Don't be concerned for the future, just live your life according to His word and everything will turn out fine in the end. Remember, it takes a conscious effort on your part. It's not as though G-d will just take over your life and make all your decisions for you. This is something many born-again Christians just expect to happen but this goes against the concept of free will. You have to meet Him halfway, and He'll do the rest :)

Yes, fear His wrath, for He will come down on you like a ton of bricks and deny you entry to heaven should you actually dare to spell out "God" or "Lord"..

Riprorin

Banned
Apr 25, 2000
Nocturnal:

Romans 10:9-10 says: That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved.

I think that turning one's life over to Christ is a life-long process. My only advice is to stay in the Word, pray, and fellowship with other believers. It sounds like you're on the right road!

I'm still curious about the topic of what other Christains learned at church today!

Trevelyan

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2000
Originally posted by: Astaroth33

Yes, fear His wrath, for He will come down on you like a ton of bricks and deny you entry to heaven should you actually dare to spell out "God" or "Lord"..

Yeah I was wondering the same thing... why don't you spell out Lord or God? It's not like your taking His name in vain... I doubt God wants you to censor yourself when you're talking to other people about Him.

Flyermax2k3

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2003
Originally posted by: Trevelyan

Yeah I was wondering the same thing... why don't you spell out Lord or God? It's not like your taking His name in vain... I doubt God wants you to censor yourself when you're talking to other people about Him.

Actually, it is my belief that to spell His *name* is to take His *name* in vain. As stated in previous posts detailing my beliefs, I share the same beliefs as the Jews, with the exception that I am a Christian and belief that "Jesus Christ" Yeshua HaMashiach is salvation.

Amorphus

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2003
John Chapter Six (namely, Jesus feeds the five thousand).

It was a sermon on using your potential to your fullest, and how Christ will multiply what you do have (the meager small child's meal fed five thousand adults).

Palek

Jun 20, 2001
Our pastors are doing a series on the life of David right now. We studied 2. Samuel 13 & 14.

Yossarian

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000

Does your belief system include total disrespect for others' religion?

Flyermax2k3

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2003
Originally posted by: PipBoy

Does your belief system include total disrespect for others' religion?

Not exactly, but thanks for the veiled personal attack
rolleye.gif

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Trevelyan

Actually, it is my belief that to spell His *name* is to take His *name* in vain. As stated in previous posts detailing my beliefs, I share the same beliefs as the Jews, with the exception that I am a Christian and belief that "Jesus Christ" Yeshua HaMashiach is salvation.

But.. His name isn't "Lord"; that's a description, a job title, if you will. He is "the" Lord, or "your" Lord. The same could very possibly be argued of "God".

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000

I hope you aren't serious. BTW, what's with exchanging o for an - in lord and god?

Flyermax2k3

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2003

But.. His name isn't "Lord"; that's a description, a job title, if you will. He is "the" Lord, or "your" Lord. The same could very possibly be argued of "God".

Now that my 1337 thread's for all intents-and-purposes dead, I can post here.

It is His name, that's where you're wrong. L-rd is a translation of one of His many names in Hebrew.

Flyermax2k3

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2003
Originally posted by: Skoorb

I hope you aren't serious. BTW, what's with exchanging o for an - in lord and god?

I'm dead serious. I don't take His names in vain. I'm a Christian who follows the Mosaic Laws. A "Jew for Jesus" if you must. I don't spell His names.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000

I'm dead serious. I don't take His names in vain. I'm a Christian who follows the Mosaic Laws. A "Jew for Jesus" if you must. I don't spell His names.
You said organized religion is evil, but you are a Christian? Also, how exactly do you know how to follow his word, which you profess to do, if organized religion is evil (inclining one to think that you don't listen to what they say)?

Flyermax2k3

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2003

You said organized religion is evil, but you are a Christian? Also, how exactly do you know how to follow his word, which you profess to do, if organized religion is evil (inclining one to think that you don't listen to what they say)?

Being a Christian has NOTHING to do with organized religion. As I've already stated: I don't go to church. Following His word has nothing to do with organized religion either. There's this nifty little manual for Christians called the Bible :)

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000

Being a Christian has NOTHING to do with organized religion. As I've already stated: I don't go to church. Following His word has nothing to do with organized religion either. There's this nifty little manual for Christians called the Bible :)
You do realize that the bible is nothing more than a conglomeration of books? And do you know who decided which books dating back to the early first millennium would be put together and called "The Bible"? Early Church leaders! So, by following the bible, whether you profess to follow organized religion or not, you're following God's word - as identified by organized religion.