Christianity is just an expression of ethnic culture

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
That is so unintentionally hilarious I think I would have to be two people to fully enjoy it. :D

Western culture was extremely influenced by the Roman Empire. To say otherwise is to be stupid on purpose. So I will assume you accept this as true.

The Roman Empire became a Christian Empire when Constantine said so. Sure, it took some time for the forced conversions to trickle through the Empire, but they did and the lion's share of Europe became Catholic.

Laws, culture, etc, were all directly influenced by this. Its influence was strong. Follow that by the Catholic Church directly controlling earthly kingdoms for another few hundred years after the Roman Empire failed.

It is easy to see that Christianity was and still is a powerful force in shaping the cultures of Western Europe.

micrometers

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2010
It's roots predate Christianity to the time of the Greek and Roman empires.

Well, the point I'm trying to get at is that yes Christianity isn't necessarily tied to one ethnic group, and certainly not to the same extent that Islam is tied to Arabic or Judaism to Hebrew.

but in practice, in the United States and elsewhere, different ethnic groups compose different churches. Episcopalians typically can trace their ancestry to England, Southern Baptists are typically Scot-Irish, Lutherans are typically Nordic.

So when you see someone proclaiming that he's a true Christian and wants to tell everyone that he has been saved and he will stand up for the persecuted Christians, deep down inside I feel that it is simply an expression of the obstinate Scot-Irish spirit.