Christian Republicans??

prism

Oct 23, 2004
This just seems like an oxymoron to me, at least by our country's (USA) current examples of Republicans. Last time I checked, Christians are supposed to be all about helping your fellow man, not forcing your ideals on others, and not murdering people.

Seems to me that this is exactly the opposite of what Republicans are all about. They like to:
-Give tax cuts to the rich and spend less money on education and health care
-Pretty much tell people they're worthless if they're not Christian (Ann Coulter and the late Rev. Falwell to name a couple)
-Go to war (and stay there)

So...why do the majority of "Christians" in this country vote Republican? I don't think they should be allowed to call themselves Christians; at least the ones that agree with these currently predominantly Republican ideals (but they shouldn't be voting for these candidates that do support it in the first place).

EDIT: To the Mods: I meant to post this in P&N, so if you'd be so kind could ya move it over there?

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Evangelical Christians are all about hate, intolerance, and rejection of science.

Mr Pickles

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
Definately P and N but i'm so wasted I can barely feel my face right now so game on. I have a good friend that is Mormon and we debated this for a very long time. You know, the bigest thing that amkes me mad is the death thing. Pro Life yet Pro Death Penalty? How dos that work? Fuck them that's how that works. A christian, a true Christian, would understand that we don't get to decided who lives or dies, regardless of their status. So babies would live and child molester murderers in jail would live as well. Yet... those republican christians are all for new babies born into welfare, yet hate having to pay taxes that promote welfare, and want all of those that fucked up to die...

Greyd

Platinum Member
Dec 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Kadarin
Evangelical Christians are all about hate, intolerance, and rejection of science.

Actually from my experience..."political Christians" (if there is such a term) are all about the above. The Christians I know consider themselves evangelical and are nowhere close to what you describe. Instead of simply looking at what the media portrays as the atypical, political "evangelical Christan" try to meet a larger group of real Christians. None of the Christians I know would approve of anything Ann Coulter and the late Rev. Falwell would say or do or espouse. There are alot of Christians I know that won't support Republicans period because of things they do or support.

There are Christians I know who work in inner city programs and do amazing work. There are some who go overseas and work medically to help impoverished nations. There are some I know who work to help politically oppressed people groups (North Koreans, Darfur, etc) There are Christians I know who have worked with AIDS groups. There are Christians I know who helped out with Hurricane Katrina. It could go on and on and on.

Your comparisons are like saying black people are all drug dealers and gang bangers. Just cause the media might portray them as such doesn't make it true. Stop being fed by the media, ATOT and stop consolidating your experiences to a few bad experiences. Narromindedness only makes you what you accuse others of being.

BrownTown

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2005
Well, the bible spells out pretty clearly what is good and bad, and what it doesn't talk about the church has usually made a stance on anyways, so its not like the right wing Christians don't care about all these people, in their mind they are HELPING them by stopping their evil ways which will send them to hell.

TBH you can twist either parties beliefes any way you want them to make them look silly. For example my beef with Democrats is that they treat people like idiots or little kids who need the governments help to take care of themselves. Democrats are like the mother of a single child always thinking her kids problems are due to the evil world and not the fact thier kid is a brat. They always seem to blame others for their problems instead of taking responsibility and saying "I'm poor because I'm lazy", or "my health is bad because I eat fatty foods", or "the enviroment is bad because I own 3 TVs set my AC to 70 degrees and own 3 cars". They are always blaming their problems on big buisness or society or a million other things instead of taking responsibility for their own actions :p.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
P&N: No Thanks, I'm full!

You heard it here first people, P&N wants ATOT to keep the Religious crap!! Thanks for your compliance.

edit: ah crap, I been pwned.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
it's possible to consider yourself a member of any political party without following the most extremes of the party in lock-step.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
I think the Brown Town idea of personal responsibility and the Loki8481 post both touched on why the religious right fell apart in 08. It was all well in fine to be the religious right oppressed minority before the the republicans swept into complete power in 2000. And now even the religious right looks at the wars it has brought, the social devisions, the fat cat televangelists that lead them, the GWB leadership disasters, and even they wonder if they were better off when they were the oppressed minority and out of power. And they too want the breather, so they will drop back and punt. While they regroup. And when they purge themselves of the extremists and manipulating hypocrites, they can come back better prepared next time.

Just another Pogo moment, we saw the enemy and it was gasp, our leadership perverting our own values.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
They do exist, although in my experience the right-wing conservatives who actually walk the talk are far and away a tiny minority within a loud, mostly self-centered entity. The majority in that category is christian the same way Madonna is British.

In general, I've found it's usually best to completely disregard what self-proclaimed christians say, and instead pay attention to what they do.

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Originally posted by: MrLee
Definately P and N but i'm so wasted I can barely feel my face right now so game on. I have a good friend that is Mormon and we debated this for a very long time. You know, the bigest thing that amkes me mad is the death thing. Pro Life yet Pro Death Penalty? How dos that work? Fuck them that's how that works. A christian, a true Christian, would understand that we don't get to decided who lives or dies, regardless of their status. So babies would live and child molester murderers in jail would live as well. Yet... those republican christians are all for new babies born into welfare, yet hate having to pay taxes that promote welfare, and want all of those that fucked up to die...

I would guess that "Christian Republicans/Evangelical Christians" along with a few of us atheists can even discriminate between a vicious murderer and an innocent unborn child when accessing their worthiness to live.

When you criminally take the life of another you should be 100% cognizant that you have forfeited your own. What has an unborn child done, but become an inconvenience?

btw - I am against the death penalty until our justice system is fixed so that the death penalty is not given only to people with bad lawyers.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
I also find it very strange that a lot of Christians apparently have no problem with things like capital punishment and wars where a great deal of people die for no good reason.

Mr Pickles

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
Originally posted by: Squisher

I would guess that "Christian Republicans/Evangelical Christians" along with a few of us atheists can even discriminate between a vicious murderer and an innocent unborn child when accessing their worthiness to live.

When you criminally take the life of another you should be 100% cognizant that you have forfeited your own. What has an unborn child done, but become an inconvenience?

btw - I am against the death penalty until our justice system is fixed so that the death penalty is not given only to people with bad lawyers.

I'm sorry I'm sober now and could not disagree more. Yes, they can definately discriminate between the two but if a Christian Republican were to look to the bible for an answer instead of to the man made laws they would put that discrimination and earthly value aside and understand that it is not their job to take the life of someone who has done such a wrong. In fact, its agaist God's teachings to do so.

Mr Pickles

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
Originally posted by: Skoorb
I also find it very strange that a lot of Christians apparently have no problem with things like capital punishment and wars where a great deal of people die for no good reason.

Close. Die, just die. The no good reason part can be left out. No one should be killed by the hand of man. Its very clear.

SAWYER

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
The same could be said for liberal Christians who support abortion and homosexuality(I don't care if someone is gay but that is not so respected in Christianity).

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Originally posted by: Squisher

I'm sorry I'm sober now and could not disagree more. Yes, they can definately discriminate between the two but if a Christian Republican were to look to the bible for an answer instead of to the man made laws they would put that discrimination and earthly value aside and understand that it is not their job to take the life of someone who has done such a wrong. In fact, its agaist God's teachings to do so.

Well, with me not being a Christian I'm a little hamstrung here, but with a little googling there seems to be a lot of inferences in the Bible that condone the death penalty.

This was the first link google sent back.

prism

Oct 23, 2004
Originally posted by: CADsortaGUY
Hey look, another Christian bashing troll thread. :roll:

I'm Christian; I'm just upset at the "Christians" who fit my description in my original post.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: Prism

I'm Christian; I'm just upset at the "Christians" who fit my description in my original post.

Oh sorry, I amend my post to say: "Hey look another Republican bashing troll thread." ;)

Sorry but your OP is worthless as it paints with a broad brush and could easily be extended to those on the other side of the aisle. Meh - to each their own I guess.

prism

Oct 23, 2004
Originally posted by: Prism

Oh sorry, I amend my post to say: "Hey look another Republican bashing troll thread." ;)

Sorry but your OP is worthless as it paints with a broad brush and could easily be extended to those on the other side of the aisle. Meh - to each their own I guess.

I guess I should rephrase my OP, but I didn't mean to generalize all Republicans and all Christians. Heck, I'm obviously a liberal, but I like Ron Paul's stance and ideals (except the "Ron Paul R3v0Lut!0n!!#$11" campaign slogan his team came up with), and while I prefer Obama, I wouldn't mind if he became our president.

Statistically speaking though, Republican voters tend to be Christians, while most other religions tend to vote Democratic. I honestly just don't understand why there is this big dichotomy, unless the "Christians" that vote Republican don't really heed anything that the New Testament has to say.