Christian American Airlines Pilot Threatened for Expressing his Faith

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Shad0hawK

Banned
May 26, 2003
Originally posted by: Stonewall
go ahead and laugh, other than that your powerless against the simple truth. just one of many moronic bigots that will have a few decades of self celibratory imbecility then you will die and it will all be over.

it seems God gives even atheists what they want.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Funny, your attitude towards others who disgree with you tends to be more like Judas than Jesus. I'd hate to see what you'd do for 10 gold pieces
The insults!
rolleye.gif

go ahead have fun with it! :)

feel better about yourself! it's all good!

InfectedMushroom

Golden Member
Aug 15, 2001
Originally posted by: BugsBunny1078
Originally posted by: minendo
Nothing wrong with what he did. Christianity is the true religion and you will go to Hell if you don't accept it so he is trying to save some people.
It would have been bad if he had said "Time to convert now people because I am going to rAM THIS PLANE INTO THE GROUND IN 20 MINUTES!"
Had everyone converted and the plane crashed like stated above, that leaves what about 200 less morons in the world?

Well , if you call people who listen to and obey God's word morons than I guess so! We like to think that it makes us smart that we procured ourselves a spot in heaven. Certainly it is better than what awaits those who don't make it.
As I said in an earlier thread about a christian doing his duty to God over his employer, God comes first. A job is something you wouldn't have without God and you won't lose your job witnessing for God without God taking good care of you.We don't worry about little trivial things like jobs or dying.

oh lovely!
does he talk to you like he talks to bush?
do you hear his voice in your head? if you hear voices, it might be good to check into a psychiatric ward.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Shad0hawK
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
:)
I'm not talking about the betrayal of Christ, I'm talking about the angry vengeful nature of Judas which you seem to share. Christian means "Christ Like" and your attitude towards others is so far from "Christ Like" that to call yourself a real Christian is ludicrous. I have no problem with those who are real Christians and follow his teachings, I do have a problem with those who use his name to force their beliefs on others. This Pilot unnerved his passengers by what he said as many of them thought this guy was another religious fanantic like the fanantics who flew the planes into the WTC and the Pentagon.

i actually agree that the pilot was wrong to do what he did, however many take situations just as this and use it to ridicule all christians according to what a few nuts do. you do this yourself and i have seen it many times, today included, so spare me your crap story about how you think "real" christians should behave and how you can handle "real" christians. although i supppose if we all meekly allowed ourselves to be abused by bigots and hatemongers it would make things more convenient for them as they assault the dignity of others. nothing makes it as easy for persecution as people that do not fight back.

sorry, i am not going to do that. oh i know about "turn the other cheek" and all that but i am a human and one of my weaknesses is anger. sometimes i give into it, sometimes i do not. when i am pushed, i push back. if your judgement on what a "real christian" is were imporant to me you might have a point. since your not the final authority on what a"real christian" is however, i could really care less what you think. unlike many of the people in this shallow world ,i do not determine my self worth by my popularity with others...especially rude, ignorant, obnoxious, hateful people.[/quote]
Dude this is the Internet, it's healthy not to worry about what others think of you here!

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I'm not talking about the betrayal of Christ, I'm talking about the angry vengeful nature of Judas which you seem to share. Christian means "Christ Like" and your attitude towards others is so far from "Christ Like" that to call yourself a real Christian is ludicrous. I have no problem with those who are real Christians and follow his teachings, I do have a problem with those who use his name to force their beliefs on others. This Pilot unnerved his passengers by what he said as many of them thought this guy was another religious fanantic like the fanantics who flew the planes into the WTC and the Pentagon.

i actually agree that the pilot was wrong to do what he did, however many take situations just as this and use it to ridicule all christians according to what a few nuts do. you do this yourself and i have seen it many times, today included, so spare me your crap story about how you think "real" christians should behave and how you can handle "real" christians. although i supppose if we all meekly allowed ourselves to be abused by bigots and hatemongers it would make things more convenient for them as they assault the dignity of others. nothing makes it as easy for persecution as people that do not fight back.

sorry, i am not going to do that. oh i know about "turn the other cheek" and all that but i am a human and one of my weaknesses is anger. sometimes i give into it, sometimes i do not. when i am pushed, i push back. if your judgement on what a "real christian" is were imporant to me you might have a point. since your not the final authority on what a"real christian" is however, i could really care less what you think. unlike many of the people in this shallow world ,i do not determine my self worth by my popularity with others...especially rude, ignorant, obnoxious, hateful people.[/quote]

Of course you are correct, this was ultimately going to end up bashing "Christians". It is also correct that "Christians" would start posting inevitably legitimizing the stereotype. "The Gambler" should be a hymn.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: bdude
Methinks some people care a little too much. What this guy did wasn't exactly proper and if I were on that plane I'd feel a bit uneasy about him piloting a flying bus just the same. Make him issue a public apology and keep his mouth shut when he's flying.

Yup, I wonder how many Hijackings started with similar statements concerning Allah? I'm sure many passengers were fearing, at least for a little while, what horror was in store for them. Hell, what this pilot did was just short of someone yelling out, "I have a bomb!"

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003
I don't know about you people but I want the pilot on any plane I fly on worrying more about flying and landing the plane instead of him/her trying to preach to me about their faith. If you want to preach to people then go work at a church otherwise keep you crap to yourself and leave me alone.

nickPOWERZ

Jun 7, 2003
Being a christian isn't something you get from your parents or from an upbringing.
If YOU don't have a personal relationship with Christ then YOU'RE not a christian. You don't get in based on who your parents are or what they wish you were.
At least according to your Religious Dogma

Are you kidding? Do you believe everything your parents believe?

nickPOWERZ

Jun 7, 2003
I completely understand the pilot wanting to do this, but I also understand that an airline cannot condone these actions. We as christians have to be careful when picking our evangelism opportunities, but who knows, maybe this was the right time for him.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Originally posted by: DealMonkey
Gotta spread the good word of Jesus, people. It's built-in to the religion. Can't just go keeping the good word to yourself. Gotta recruit, recruit, recruit for God.

:music: You know Jesus, I've been thinking about you a lot lately . . .

as usual one of the biggest hypocrites here spews more intolerant sterotypical bunk. but i came to understand people this pathetic can only make themselves have a small illusion of self worth by denegrating the beliefs of others...in manyc ases it is all they have.

i feel immense pity for you dealmonkey.

the same for other small minded hypocritic people of your ilk. they preach about tolerance, but only respect people who believe the same as they do, and consistantly jump on any chance to belittle, hurt, and minimalize the beliefs of others.

i know out there somewhere hitler is proud of you, your just the type of person that makes people like him possible...just clever enough to be witty gaining the admiration of the equally moronic, but not smart enough to realize what a useful idiot you are to the elite.

Nice rant there Shadow, but this thread isn't about me, now is it? Why don't you think of something more intelligent to say and try again because I'm not stooping to your miserable level.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
More info from those who were on the flight . . .

CNN.com: Pilot's proselytizing scares passengers

NEW YORK (CNN) -- An American Airlines pilot made some passengers fearful when he urged them to make wise use of their flight time by talking to Christians, passengers said Monday.

Passengers were "shocked," said Karla Austin, who had flown on Friday's Los Angeles to New York Flight 34. Some reached for their mobile phones and others used the on-flight phones, she said.

"Just given the history of what's happened on planes in this country, anything can happen at this point. So we weren't sure if something was going to happen at takeoff, if he was going to wait until JFK (John F. Kennedy) to do something," Austin said. "But there was definitely implication there that we felt that something was going to happen."

Passengers complained to the flight attendants, who relayed their concerns to the cockpit and who then reassured them they had nothing to worry about, Austin said.

Attendants also told passengers they had contacted airline officials about the matter, she said.

"We were just at the beginning of our flight. The pilot came on to greet everyone and give his comments for the morning, and he said he'd recently been on a mission trip, and he'd like all the Christians to please raise their hands," said passenger Jen Dorsey.

He said, 'If you are a Christian, raise your hand.' He said, 'If you are not, you're crazy,'" said Austin.

Dorsey nodded her head in agreement that the pilot had called non-Christians "crazy."

Another passenger recounted a similar experience in an interview with WCBS-TV in New York. Amanda Nelligan told the station the pilot said those who did not raise their hands were "crazy."

Austin said no passengers raised their hands.

The pilot then asked passengers to look around at each other and use the flight wisely or "just sit back and watch the movie," Dorsey said.

About 45 minutes into the flight, the pilot apologized -- but his apology focused on the crew, not the passengers, Dorsey said.

"He came on and said, 'I want to apologize for my comments earlier. I think I really threw the flight crew off a little bit, and they are getting a lot of flack for the things I said. So I want to apologize to my flight crew,' " she said.

Wagner said the pilot offered to speak after the flight with anyone who wanted to discuss his comments.

On her way out, Austin said she told him that "he should be ashamed of himself."

"He just nodded and looked to the ground, and that was it," she said.

The airline is investigating reports about Friday's Flight 34, a company spokesman said.

American Airlines said that if the incident were true it "would be against our policy."

In a statement, the airline said, "It falls along the lines of a personal level of sharing that may not be appropriate for one of our employees to do while on the job."

Airline spokesman Tim Wagner said the pilot denies using the word "crazy." He told the airline he recently had returned from a mission trip and was encouraging people to use the four and a half hour flight to speak with passengers about their relationships with God, Wagner said. The pilot's name has not been released.

"American Airlines apologizes if anyone was made to feel uncomfortable by the comments of this pilot," Wagner said.

The airline spokesman declined to say whether the pilot has been relieved of duty while an investigation is under way. The man, a senior pilot with the airline, did not fly again over the weekend, Wagner said.

The spokesman also declined to say whether the pilot is scheduled to fly this week.

The result of the airline's investigation will not be made public because it is an internal matter, Wagner said, adding it will be "handled internally according to American Airlines procedure."

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001
Meh...private company, private people...

The pilot has the right to do the sort of job he wants--just as he has the right to show up late, not wear his uniform correctly, etc.
Passengers have the right to stop flying with AA if they want.
AA has the right to retain or fire him.

Hooray for invisible hands.

Shad0hawK

Banned
May 26, 2003
Gotta spread the good word of Jesus, people. It's built-in to the religion. Can't just go keeping the good word to yourself. Gotta recruit, recruit, recruit for God.

as usual one of the biggest hypocrites here spews more intolerant sterotypical bunk. but i came to understand people this pathetic can only make themselves have a small illusion of self worth by denegrating the beliefs of others...in manyc ases it is all they have.

the same for other small minded hypocritic people of your ilk. they preach about tolerance, but only respect people who believe the same as they do, and consistantly jump on any chance to belittle, hurt, and minimalize the beliefs of others.

i know out there somewhere hitler is proud of you, your just the type of person that makes people like him possible...just clever enough to be witty gaining the admiration of the equally moronic, but not smart enough to realize what a useful idiot you are to the elite.

Nice rant there Shadow, but this thread isn't about me, now is it? Why don't you think of something more intelligent to say and try again because I'm not stooping to your miserable level.

no, the thread is not about you, is that what justifies you to demean an entire group of people? as for me i am commenting on the behaviour of a few individuals TO those individuals...which i agree is on a different level than using whatever excuse you can to make fun of people different than you are just to be spiteful to them.

i personally think what the pilot did was wrong, by calling people who believed differently than himself "crazy" he established commonality with many people on this board who like to call christians "crazy" or "fanatics" or "loonies" etc...etc.

BTW was there any law broken by this guy exercising his freedom of speech? i do not agree with what he said, but unlike many i do not relegate freedom of speech only to those i agree with.

Fatdog

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2000
BTW was there any law broken by this guy exercising his freedom of speech? i do not agree with what he said, but unlike many i do not relegate freedom of speech only to those i agree with.

Once again with the 'free speech' issue when it doesn't apply. Didn't anyone pay attention during social studies in jr high.

The right to free speech applies to public areas. The cabin of a commercial airliner does not apply. People paid for a ticket for a seat on a privately owned vehicle. It is not a public gathering area, thus no right of free speech exists. The Captain has rules he must abide by when piloting said aircraft. If he broke the rules set down by the Airline, then he will face disciplinary action.

Sunner

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Oh joy, seeing fundies argue over the net sure makes me happy I don't believe in any of the spiritual stuff. :)

Shad0hawK

Banned
May 26, 2003
Originally posted by: Fatdog

Once again with the 'free speech' issue when it doesn't apply. Didn't anyone pay attention during social studies in jr high.

The right to free speech applies to public areas. The cabin of a commercial airliner does not apply. People paid for a ticket for a seat on a privately owned vehicle. It is not a public gathering area, thus no right of free speech exists. The Captain has rules he must abide by when piloting said aircraft. If he broke the rules set down by the Airline, then he will face disciplinary action.

yes i did, actually never was a law that allowed a private company to suspend the constitution. there are laws protecting what individuals can do and say on private property, and that is it. and if the govt. really really does not like what is going on then the right of immenent domain can always be used. to say freedom of speech does not exist on private property" is grossly inaccurate. but i understand your point. however the law does not stop at the boundry between public and private property.

Fatdog

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2000
Yes it does apply, and it is not grossly inaccurate.

Just like this board. You do not have the right to come on here and type whatever you want to under the guise of free speech. The mods here will judge what can and can not be said and will provide a free vacation to those who don't agree. It's right there in the user agreement when you applied for a username to post here. The federal government has no control over the board or the moderators, no right of "immenent domain" is involved. The feds have no right to go onto private property to stop people from speaking their minds privately. As in KKK meetings, Bible meetings, or anywhere else for that matter. They may sneek agents in to eaves drop, but that's a whole other issue.

Emminent Domain pertains to the Governments right of land seizure for the good of the people over private owners and has absolutly nothing to do with free speech.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001

no, the thread is not about you, is that what justifies you to demean an entire group of people? as for me i am commenting on the behaviour of a few individuals TO those individuals...which i agree is on a different level than using whatever excuse you can to make fun of people different than you are just to be spiteful to them.

i personally think what the pilot did was wrong, by calling people who believed differently than himself "crazy" he established commonality with many people on this board who like to call christians "crazy" or "fanatics" or "loonies" etc...etc.

How did I demean anyone, Shadow? I simply gave my opinion. I certainly didn't call him a bunch of childish names like you did me. Hitler is proud of me? WTF is your problem?

And no, of course there was no law broken. He merely scared a bunch of people with his proselytizing. Unfortunately for him, since he was on the job, AA may indeed take action against him and that is well within their right.

Just like in countless other cases, he shot his mouth off at work and if they don't like what he's saying, he may find himself in the unemployment line.

daclayman

Golden Member
Sep 27, 2000
After reading this thread, me thinks it's time to wander down to the local CRC and key some Buicks...
:beer:

Shad0hawK

Banned
May 26, 2003

How did I demean anyone, Shadow? I simply gave my opinion. I certainly didn't call him a bunch of childish names like you did me. Hitler is proud of me? WTF is your problem?

And no, of course there was no law broken. He merely scared a bunch of people with his proselytizing. Unfortunately for him, since he was on the job, AA may indeed take action against him and that is well within their right.

Just like in countless other cases, he shot his mouth off at work and if they don't like what he's saying, he may find himself in the unemployment line.

LOL! now we get the "what?!?! lil ole me?!? defense... your attempt at sarcasm in your OP in this thread combined with past experience with you.

i agree the pilot needs a kick in the pants, the main thing is many remember when jews were seperated on hijacked plains by the statement "all jews raise your hands..." often times leading to death for them.

many christians believe we will face the same persecution worldwide(and we are in many places now and have for centuries)

the crazy remark was totally out of line. if he had said "God bless you" and left it at that i would have been okay with it. if i was his boss i would have to think real hard to find an excuse not to fire him.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
LOL! now we get the "what?!?! lil ole me?!? defense... your attempt at sarcasm in your OP in this thread combined with past experience with you.
That's right you get that -- I've turned a new leaf. :)

And what sarcasm are you talking about? I really believe what I wrote. Of course that was just my opinion, but you know I could have sworn I just heard someone say "... unlike many I do not relegate freedom of speech only to those I agree with..." Does that sound familiar? Huh? Does it?

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003
Originally posted by: Fatdog
Yes it does apply, and it is not grossly inaccurate.

Just like this board. You do not have the right to come on here and type whatever you want to under the guise of free speech. The mods here will judge what can and can not be said and will provide a free vacation to those who don't agree. It's right there in the user agreement when you applied for a username to post here. The federal government has no control over the board or the moderators, no right of "immenent domain" is involved. The feds have no right to go onto private property to stop people from speaking their minds privately. As in KKK meetings, Bible meetings, or anywhere else for that matter. They may sneek agents in to eaves drop, but that's a whole other issue.

Emminent Domain pertains to the Governments right of land seizure for the good of the people over private owners and has absolutly nothing to do with free speech.

Thank you for setting the record straight here and beating me to the punch. :beer:

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Nitemare
Originally posted by: TheSnowman
maybe if you leave out the Roman empire, the Crusades and the holocaust.
rolleye.gif

nope, not even close.

stalin killed more people than hitler did, then we have mao, and pol pot...all atheists...all agreed the best way to stmap out religion is to get rid of the religious.

would you like more examples?

Yup look up the Bolshevik revolution. He killed a couple million dissenters withing the first couple of years, others were sent to the goulag where they eventually died.
You mean Lenin don't you?

Doh, read write through the post and did not see the name Stalin