Chris Wallace gets schooled on gun control

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Alpha One Seven

Golden Member
Sep 11, 2017
The money is already there. We already spend more per student than almost any nation on Earth. Yet we have crap results because we spend so much on administration. Out of one side of our forked tongue, we say that teachers are heroes and awesome and sacrificial and amazing and should get more money. Out of the other side of our forked tongue, we argue that teachers fucking suck and cannot be trusted to teach right without 10 layers of highly paid administration above them. I think a minor reduction in administration can pay for teachers to become very highly trained in active shooting incidents and to protect my boys.
I have never said teachers cannot be trusted, my wife is a teacher, and I trust her implicitly and yes she is trained to handle firearms and owns guns and is not allowed to defend herself at school.

You must be thinking of someone else.

Reactions: imported_tajmahal

Alpha One Seven

Golden Member
Sep 11, 2017
Reactions: imported_tajmahal

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
I live where you do not need a special permit to carry a concealed firearm, but I prefer to wear it in plain sight, it affords respect from would be thugs.

Man that's actually sad, you wear a gun for respect. The fact that you demand respect when you wear a gun is a sign of mental immaturity, no? I see a people with open carry I immediately, and am sure most people think what a loser who has to wear a gun to feel manly and get some sort of self respect when in fact it does the exact opposite. I feel bad for you, you seem to be scared of everything, what depraved world do you live in.

Suggest you read this

Gun demanding: the psychology of why people want firearms

Reactions: rise

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Man that's actually sad, you wear a gun for respect. The fact that you demand respect when you wear a gun is a sign of mental immaturity, no? I see a people with open carry I immediately, and am sure most people think what a loser who has to wear a gun to feel manly and get some sort of self respect when in fact it does the exact opposite. I feel bad for you, you seem to be scared of everything, what depraved world do you live in.

Suggest you read this

I wouldn't put much stock in what that one posts...

Reactions: ch33zw1z

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Because the NRA generates the "gun fetish" and not just about every movie or video game produced by industries dominated by Liberals?

I don't see much evidence that the video game industry is 'dominated by liberals'. Why do they produce all these soldier-sims, and why do so many of them feature an essentially conservative world-view?

The attitude of the right to video games is a strange thing. On the one hand you have the older generation turning blame onto games rather than guns, and on the other you have the younger right-wingers furiously defending those very same games. What was gamergate all about if not younger rightists angry at liberals and feminists wanting to make their gun-fetishising games less conservative with less emphasis on shooting darker-skinned foreigners?

The 'liberal' nature of Hollywood is also something I'd dispute. Some very visible liberals are hardly the whole picture - can't say I'm a fan of that industry, myself.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008

Suggest you read this

Reminds me of this. Which is only one case, anecdote not data and not an argument as such, but I still find it funny (in an 'only in America' way)

http://www.kptv.com/story/26729956/man-openly-carrying-new-gun-in-gresham-robbed-by-armed-man

Investigators said the 21-year-old victim bought a handgun earlier in the day and was openly carrying it while talking to his cousin.

They said a man approached them and asked for a cigarette. Talk eventually turned to the victim's new purchase, before the robber pulled his own gun from his waistband and said, "I like your gun, give it to me," according to police.

The victim handed over his gun and the suspect ran away.

Paladin3

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2004
And those are people I wouldn't trust to do much of anything. They tend to be dipshits, like Officer Shootmyselfinthelegintheclassroom an Mr Gunrange Letsgivea9yearoldanuzi.
Aw, there you go, judging an entire group of people based on the bad actions of a small minority. I thought you were more open minded than that.

Last edited:

Paladin3

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2004
Probably not. You might remember that the walls were drywall in the Parkland incident. Bullets could hit anyone without even knowing the shooter was there.

Also, given the infrequency of shootings vs the risks of having a gun around children, why add guns?

I really like the last sentence. School shootings are pretty rare, so why muck things up with having a gun around at all. You make a very good point. Still, gun free zones do practically guarantee a shooter that there will be zero armed resistance. So it is hard to say if armed school staff would ultimately help enough to outweigh the improbably but inevitable accidents.

I wouldn't mind a teacher being trained as a reserve deputy and then having a locked handgun safe in their room that only they could open. After school the gun could be transferred to a locked carry box and taken off campus, at which point the teacher/deputy could either wear the gun concealed or just keep it in the locked box until they got it home where they would secure it for the night.

In other words, it is possible to have a gun accessible to a trained teacher at a school without a student getting their hands on it. But nobody could guarantee it 100%.

Last edited:

Paladin3

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2004
I live where you do not need a special permit to carry a concealed firearm, but I prefer to wear it in plain sight, it affords respect from would be thugs.
Same here where I live, and I don't spook at open carry nor when I spot a concealed carried gun. I still choose to carry concealed when I do to avoid problems. If I feel brandishing the gun is called for to prevent an attack then I would do so, but I don't feel constantly advertising that I have a gun on me is in my best interest.

I feel the same about "this house protected by a gun" signs. It just makes people want to wait until you aren't home to rob it for the gun. Big stick, walk softly kind of thing, but whatever works for you.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I really like the last sentence. School shootings are pretty rare, so why muck things up with having a gun around at all. You make a very good point. Still, gun free zones do practically guarantee a shooter that there will be zero armed resistance. So it is hard to say if armed school staff would ultimately help enough to outweigh the improbably but inevitable accidents.

I wouldn't mind a teacher being trained as a reserve deputy and then having a locked handgun safe in their room that only they could open. After school the gun could be transferred to a locked carry box and taken off campus, at which point the teacher/deputy could either wear the gun concealed or just keep it in the locked box until they got it home where they would secure it for the night.

In other words, it is possible to have a gun accessible to a trained teacher at a school without a student getting their hands on it. But nobody could guarantee it 100%.

I imagine arming teachers would have similar effects to arming homeowners. While some homeowners certainly put their firearms to good defensive use the overall effect is to increase a gun owner’s odds of death by homicide and suicide through arguments, accidents, etc.

I think it’s easier for people to conceptualize a mass shooting or a home invasion so they put greater value on stopping those than they do in preventing the slow, daily grind of deaths by a million smaller mistakes.