Chris Taylor's Gas Powered may shut down - Wildman kickstarter not doing well

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Interesting interview I read via PA Reports link:

http://www.pcgamesn.com/indie/wildman-bay-inside-chris-taylors-fight-save-gas-powered-games

The Kickstarter:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gaspoweredgames/wildman-an-evolutionary-action-rpg

I funded Wasteland 2, Grim Dawn, (single-player) Shadowrun and Project Oblivion but I haven't funded this one. I enjoyed Dungeon Siege 1 but:
- I don't play RTS games, just turn-based
- The setting doesn't grab me
- I haven't gotten to my copy of Torchlight 2 yet, and Grim Dawn will show up eventually so I already have hack-and-slash action RPGs to play

I wish him well, and maybe some of you will want to give this a chance. You won't be charged the $20 unless the KS succeeds.

DooKey

Golden Member
Nov 9, 2005
Unfortunately we live in a world of what have you done for me lately. His last few projects have sucked. I hate to see his company go under, but they haven't made anything really good for quite a while.

Aug 11, 2008
Unfortunately we live in a world of what have you done for me lately. His last few projects have sucked. I hate to see his company go under, but they haven't made anything really good for quite a while.

Pretty much this. Too bad really, he use to make some great games.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
All i want is a strategy game in a sci-fi setting that is geared towards massive battles. It must also have a good multithreaded engine. Supcom was nearly there but the engine was balls and handicapped with DX9. I wont even talk about supcom 2.

Im not really interested in anything else from GPG, it looks like planetary annihilation got there first anyways.

WT

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2000
Loved DS1 and DS 2 (plus the Broken Sword expansion) as well. Those games were my intro to the hack n slash genre, and it was perfect for what I wanted out of that type of game - easy to learn, easy to play, and not too hard to finish.

Things went downhill for GPG after that. DS3 was a total abomination that, even on sale earlier this weekend for $5, I bypassed due to how bad it is.

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
Look at his game. Then look at Christopher Robert's Star Citizen.

Of course your warcraft III mod game isn't going to do well! lol

I feel bad for him and his team, the game DOES look fun

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
haven't played DS3, demi or empire online, but there isn't anything I've played that I didn't like and on cone computer or another around the house have just about his entire catalog installed.

Bryf50

Golden Member
Nov 11, 2006
Supreme Commander 1 was a very good game that could have been amazing if built on for a sequel. But instead they hit it with the "accessibility" stick and made a game that had no target audience(all those console rts players). So as a fan of Supcom 1 I'm still a little too bitter to give them my money.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I've always supported Chris Taylor after he made one of my favorite games, Total Annihilation. But I've never really liked anything else he's made. It's been 'ok'.

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org
Supreme Commander 1 was a very good game that could have been amazing if built on for a sequel. But instead they hit it with the "accessibility" stick and made a game that had no target audience(all those console rts players). So as a fan of Supcom 1 I'm still a little too bitter to give them my money.

This, i bought two copies of supcom2 the day of launch.

Epic disappointment.

Forged alliance was one of the best strategy games of all time for me.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005

That was their best game, and after they it was mostly decent games, but nothing inspiring.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
Last two games were bleh; esp space siege; what I do not know is how much was do to chris and how much because the publisher tied them down to a specific design. You just don't know which side (developer or publisher) killed a speciic game.

Btw to the guy above DS3 was made by oblivion. I quite like it but most DS fans were unhappy. It is more story driven then the previous 2; sadly it does have a bit of consolitious and usual consolitious angle issues but I could over look those flaws.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
IMHO his only good game was Supreme Commander. I never played the old Total Annihilation and the Dungeon Siege titles were nothing more than extremely linear and simple hack and slash games.

Gunbuster

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
He needed a failing kickstarter to figure out that nobody wants to play as an ugly caveman?

He should have said sorry for making the Supcom sequel "Simple Commander" and gone on to make a real Supcom 3.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
He needed a failing kickstarter to figure out that nobody wants to play as an ugly caveman?

He should have said sorry for making the Supcom sequel "Simple Commander" and gone on to make a real Supcom 3.

Pretty much, bad decisions were made for that, and now, he doesn't really have any solid information, so I see this going down the tube.

Maybe he will release TA & SupCom as Open Source, so we can make a proper sequel!

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Man, I thought for sure that this project would get a huge bump after that article came out. This thing has barely moved.

Fox5

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005

Yeah, I just want another Supreme Commander....

Although these guys already handled the indie version of a Sup Com type game...
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/659943965/planetary-annihilation-a-next-generation-rts

And honestly, I think the difference in funding shows which game came closer to being what people wanted. No one liked Demigod and the focus on simple DOTA type games is a failure when that niche is already filled by...the real DOTA games and all their clones. An epic strategy game is waayyyyyy more needed and fills a niche. If there were tons of them on the market, it wouldn't work but hardcore RTS, turn based strategy, etc games have always been niches, and as such under-served.

Last edited:

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
And honestly, I think the difference in funding shows which game came closer to being what people wanted. No one liked Demigod and the focus on simple DOTA type games is a failure when that niche is already filled by...the real DOTA games and all their clones. An epic strategy game is waayyyyyy more needed and fills a niche. If there were tons of them on the market, it wouldn't work but hardcore RTS, turn based strategy, etc games have always been niches, and as such under-served.
I think the difference is that Wildman is a game with new ideas and no one really knows how it'll turn out. It isn't an action RPG and it isn't an RTS. It's a risk, which is why kickstarter is the perfect place to get funding.

Fox5

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
Woah, has the kickstarter lost money? It's now at $424,418, and I could have sworn they were closer to their goal before...

Sad for them, I guess the talk of them imminently going out of business is killing it.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Woah, has the kickstarter lost money? It's now at $424,418, and I could have sworn they were closer to their goal before...

Sad for them, I guess the talk of them imminently going out of business is killing it.

It's all about record and reputation. All in all I think the Kickstarter community is being quite fair. Plenty of brand new, no-reputation gaming "companies" or individuals have been funded, as have established names with good reputations. Given that Taylor's recent history has been quite mediocre in most peoples opinions, people aren't that psyched to fund another likely mediocre game. Add in the fact that it seems like a last, desperate plea to keep the company going (as opposed to developing the game in its own merits), there you go.