Chris Rock: "Bin Ladin's got to be a positive role model." What?!

SaltBoy

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2001
link to article

Comedian and star of Head of State, Chris Rock, has also chimed in on war. "We should avoid war at all costs," Rock recently told reporters. "I don't understand war in many ways. Condalezza Rice and Colin Powell are the black people in the White House, they are right there, it's just that somebody has got to take the seat. Negative people got to be positive role models, Osama Bin Ladin's got to be a positive role model."

Okay... Chris Rock seems to be a rather intelligent comedian, but the last sentence in His quote makes NO sense. What kind of context is he coming from?

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Maybe he meant bin Laden should change his views and fight for good in the world instead of twisting the Quran for his own evil purposes?

Just a thought. ;)

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: SaltBoy
link to article

Comedian and star of Head of State, Chris Rock, has also chimed in on war. "We should avoid war at all costs," Rock recently told reporters. "I don't understand war in many ways. Condalezza Rice and Colin Powell are the black people in the White House, they are right there, it's just that somebody has got to take the seat. Negative people got to be positive role models, Osama Bin Ladin's got to be a positive role model."

Okay... Chris Rock seems to be a rather intelligent comedian, but the last sentence in His quote makes NO sense. What kind of context is he coming from?

Maybe he's telling us to learn from his mistakes? Who knows. It's like going to a prison and learning from the mistakes of the prisoners by not repeating what they did? Or some drug addict coming to your school and telling you guys about what he did as a child and telling the kids not to repeat his mistakes.

SaltBoy

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2001
Yes, it would be great if bin Laden would see the error of his ways and repent of his misdeeds. It ain't gonna happen, though.

Pacfanweb

Lifer
Jan 2, 2000
I wouldn't consider Chris Rock to be the "intelligent" type of comedian at all. At least not in the mold of someone like Carlin or Robin Williams.

He's funny at times, but "intelligent humor"? No.

yowolabi

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001
link to article

It sounds like he's saying that you have to learn from the negative people as much as you do from the positive people. He probably explained what he meant, but whoever wrote it down didn't write all of it.

Marshallj

Platinum Member
Mar 26, 2003
"I don't understand war in many ways. Condalezza Rice and Colin Powell are the black people in the White House, they are right there, it's just that somebody has got to take the seat.

I wonder why he's implying that all black people have to be against the war? Can't some black people have differing opinions and be for the war? Or must they all think like Chris Rock?

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
link to article

Well, he's a comedian who uses a lot of body language. I suspect that reading what he said is not the same as watching him say it or hearing voice inflections and such.

UltraQuiet

Banned
Sep 22, 2001
I think what he is trying to say is that negative people got to be role models because there wasn't any positive role models to fill the void. Or he's saying that we need to learn from our mistakes. Not sure which.

friedpie

Oct 1, 2002
I wonder why he's implying that all black people have to be against the war? Can't some black people have differing opinions and be for the war? Or must they all think like Chris Rock?

No, they are not supposed to think outside the group, and there's evidence to support it. 90% of blacks voted for Gore. A recent gallup poll showed 70% of blacks opposed the war (because they oppose Bush) while overall 70% of the country supported the war.

friedpie

Oct 1, 2002
sorry, my internet is slow so i hit the post key twice. i thought it wouldn't let me post the same thing twice, but i guess not.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: friedpie

No, they are not supposed to think outside the group, and there's evidence to support it. 90% of blacks voted for Gore. A recent gallup poll showed 70% of blacks opposed the war (because they oppose Bush) while overall 70% of the country supported the war.

Don't dig any further or you'll further expose your stupidity. Most blacks are opposed to this war because they are suspicious of AMerican foreign policy. In case you didn't know, African Americans are highly skeptical of the government and the various things it does under the guise of the American flag. Furthermore, their lack of trust in Bush has nothing to do with it. They don't trust some of his policies. Does that make them less patriotic? No. Can you make out the difference?

Marshallj

Platinum Member
Mar 26, 2003
Originally posted by: Dari

Don't dig any further or you'll further expose your stupidity.

That was completely uncalled for.

bentwookie

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2002

Don't dig any further or you'll further expose your stupidity. Most blacks are opposed to this war because they are suspicious of AMerican foreign policy. In case you didn't know, African Americans are highly skeptical of the government and the various things it does under the guise of the American flag. Furthermore, their lack of trust in Bush has nothing to do with it. They don't trust some of his policies. Does that make them less patriotic? No. Can you make out the difference?

GALLUP NEWS SERVICE

PRINCETON, NJ ? Black Americans are much less likely to support the current war against Iraq than they were to support the 1991 Persian Gulf War. Other groups whose support for the current conflict is dramatically lower include ideological liberals, political independents, low-income households, and 18-29 year olds.

so...Pretty much people w/o foreign relation experience or knowledge.

yowolabi

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001
Originally posted by: bentwookie

GALLUP NEWS SERVICE

PRINCETON, NJ ? Black Americans are much less likely to support the current war against Iraq than they were to support the 1991 Persian Gulf War. Other groups whose support for the current conflict is dramatically lower include ideological liberals, political independents, low-income households, and 18-29 year olds.

If you put a smiley, everyone will be sure that you're joking, and not an idiot.

Oct 16, 1999
Originally posted by: Marshallj

Don't dig any further or you'll further expose your stupidity.

That was completely uncalled for.

What friedpie says has a lot of truth to it. Black folks are supposed to think the same, they are supposed to be a subculture, according to scam-artists like Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, etc. Unfortunately, a lot of black folks buy into it, and to deviate from the subculture makes you less black, an Uncle Tom, pawn of the white man, sellout, house n*gger, etc.

Marshallj

Platinum Member
Mar 26, 2003
Originally posted by: yowolabi

GALLUP NEWS SERVICE

If you put a smiley, everyone will be sure that you're joking, and not an idiot.

Are you going to put together any kind of argument to refute what he said, or are you just going to be content letting him do all the thinking and then calling him names?

bentwookie

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2002

GALLUP NEWS SERVICE

Only you have proven to be an idiot. :)

yowolabi

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001

Please point out the part of the poll that showed the reason they oppose the war is because they oppose Bush. Nice way to mix facts with unbacked biased opinions.

And none of that is evidence to show that blacks "don't think outside the group". All it shows is that many Blacks were in agreement on this yes/no issue. By your logic, the fact that 70% of the overall population supports the war shows that people don't think outside the box. Of course you can recognize that statement for the condescending tripe that it is.

yowolabi

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001
Originally posted by: Marshallj

GALLUP NEWS SERVICE

Are you going to put together any kind of argument to refute what he said, or are you just going to be content letting him do all the thinking and then calling him names?

What kind of argument is required? Without any kind of data to back him up, he just make the statement that Blacks, ideoogical liberals, political independents, low income and 18-29 year olds have less foreign relation experience and knowledge.

Whites, convervatives, people who stick to the party lines, millionaires, and 50-59 year olds have less foreign relation experience and knowledge than other groups. That's my counterargument. It has just as much evidence as his.

When you make such sweeping generalizations about people, you need to have something solid to back that up.