Chris Matthews goes after Reince Priebus on GOP's race baiitng

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
"What's your damage now? That's your second random shot at me in this thread alone. What's got you so butt-hurt today? I must have punctured one of your usual dishonest, mindless, and/or purely partisan dung pies, but I'm not sure what it was. How about you stop being such a crybaby, grow a pair, and show the guts to confront me head to head instead of flinging random, childish digs? Either that or STFU and quit acting like such a flaming hack."

"You are demonizing what he said as spew."

Ehh! I guess so, but I should probably ask you what definition of like you chose to use here. ...
Why MB, can't you see it? Your comment and mine are nearly identical. You sound just like me.

:D

Apr 27, 2012
We're arguing semantics here. The end of the day the Democrats have not based their party on outright racism towards minorities. That mantle is held distinctly by the GOP and it will be their undoing going forward as minority populations in this country keep exploding while the white population shrinks.

The democrats are racist with minorities

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Because the democrats lie to hispanics and blacks and there stupid enough to believe them

Yep, and those dumb blacks and hispanics. If they were edumakated they would know if they just helped hand out more tax breaks to the wealthy and run massive deficits, they would have all been rich by now. Most whites have figured this out already, Y they so stupid?

Feb 10, 2000
Reince Priebus (what a name!) strikes me as a thoroughly creepy little man. Chris Matthews definitely flew off the handle, but I think it was justified for the most part, and Priebus did essentially nothing to vindicate his position.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
I'm sure that's what you wish to be true. I doubt you can cite anything factual to support that feeling, however. Republicans have substantially less support from blacks and Hispanics than it does from whites, and especially older white males. That's not proof that the GOP is widely regarded as significantly racist, but it's certainly a good clue.

No, the left just promises larger handouts to the underprivileged minorities. Both sides know it creates nothing more than a dependency class but the Democrats would rather get votes. We had a system in place that helped get a lot of those off of welfare but a couple of states complained that having someone get a job in 2 years is just too mean.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
No, the left just promises larger handouts to the underprivileged minorities. Both sides know it creates nothing more than a dependency class but the Democrats would rather get votes. We had a system in place that helped get a lot of those off of welfare but a couple of states complained that having someone get a job in 2 years is just too mean.
So no, you cannot cite anything factual to support your belief that the GOP is NOT widely perceived as significantly racist. You do, however, believe that blacks and Hispanics are too dumb to understand they are being manipulated with handouts, while whites do understand this. Huh. Can't imagine where that perception of racism comes from.

Nov 30, 2006
So no, you cannot cite anything factual to support your belief that the GOP is NOT widely perceived as significantly racist. You do, however, believe that blacks and Hispanics are too dumb to understand they are being manipulated with handouts, while whites do understand this. Huh. Can't imagine where that perception of racism comes from.
Can you cite anything factual to support your belief that the GOP is significantly racist?

berzerker60

Golden Member
Jul 18, 2012
2005 RNC chairman: "Republican candidates often have prospered by ignoring black voters and even by exploiting racial tensions," and, "by the '70s and into the '80s and '90s, the Democratic Party solidified its gains in the African-American community, and we Republicans did not effectively reach out. Some Republicans gave up on winning the African-American vote, looking the other way or trying to benefit politically from racial polarization. I am here today as the Republican chairman to tell you we were wrong."

That apology is a good start, but it takes more than a decade to make up for many decades of building a party on racism. As quoted before from Nixon's campaign strategist:

"From now on, the Republicans are never going to get more than 10 to 20 percent of the Negro vote and they don't need any more than that... but Republicans would be shortsighted if they weakened enforcement of the Voting Rights Act. The more Negroes who register as Democrats in the South, the sooner the Negrophobe whites will quit the Democrats and become Republicans. That's where the votes are. Without that prodding from the blacks, the whites will backslide into their old comfortable arrangement with the local Democrats."

And then RNC chairman Lee Atwater in 1981:

"You start out in 1954 by saying, "[n-word], [n-word], [n-word]." By 1968 you can't say "[n-word]"—that hurts you. Backfires. So you say stuff like forced busing, states' rights and all that stuff. You're getting so abstract now [that] you're talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you're talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is [that] blacks get hurt worse than whites.[36]

And subconsciously maybe that is part of it. I'm not saying that. But I'm saying that if it is getting that abstract, and that coded, that we are doing away with the racial problem one way or the other. You follow me—because obviously sitting around saying, "We want to cut this," is much more abstract than even the busing thing, and a hell of a lot more abstract than "[n-word], [n-word]"."

But by all means, cling to the idea that there's not even a perception of racism built on legitimate history. It will only ensure that Republicans continue the slide into losing enough votes that they finally having to abandon being the racist party and become a legitimate, sane second party in American politics, maybe even offering ideas instead of just going fucking nuts because there's a black president doing Republican-y things.

Last edited:

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Can you cite anything factual to support your belief that the GOP is significantly racist?
First, that wasn't the question. The question was whether the GOP is widely perceived as being significantly racist. Second, Matt made the claim and I'm challenging him to support it. It's rather juvenile to respond to such a challenge by saying, "Nuh uh! You prove me wrong." Third, if you read my original post, I already offered evidence that this perception is common, while acknowledging it is merely a clue and not proof. Whether there are formal surveys or other data substantiating this, I don't know. That's Matt's challenge: see #2.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
Because it's only somewhere between 15 and 20 Democrats became Republicans at that time out of a total of almost 250 Democrats. Well below 10%.

Matt1970 said:
Keep your head tucked in the sand. You won't find any facts in there you don't like.

Haha, you're like that unicorn that no one believes can possibly exist yet, well, you simply do, and it's out there for everyone to bask in all its non-glory.

Bottomline; as has already been stated by myself and berzerker60, the entire switch (and vote) was regional; as in the Southern strategy (before and after it was officially acknowledged) produced more liberal Dems and conservative Repubs switching to Northern and Southern territories. The fact that only a couple dozen (btw, link?) switched immediately doesn't mean shit since NEW House members get voted in every two years and late 60's/early 70's HOR candidates were suddenly more liberal as Dems and more conservative as Repubs.

But again, you bringing up the 64 CRA vote is basically irrelevant anyway since it's still another wimp-out from you trying to deflect why Americans overwhelmingly associate welfare queen and food stamps with blacks/minorities.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
Haha, you're like that unicorn that no one believes can possibly exist yet, well, you simply do, and it's out there for everyone to bask in all its non-glory.

Bottomline; as has already been stated by myself and berzerker60, the entire switch (and vote) was regional; as in the Southern strategy (before and after it was officially acknowledged) produced more liberal Dems and conservative Repubs switching to Northern and Southern territories. The fact that only a couple dozen (btw, link?) switched immediately doesn't mean shit since NEW House members get voted in every two years and late 60's/early 70's HOR candidates were suddenly more liberal as Dems and more conservative as Repubs.

But again, you bringing up the 64 CRA vote is basically irrelevant anyway since it's still another wimp-out from you trying to deflect why Americans overwhelmingly associate welfare queen and food stamps with blacks/minorities.

As Chris Matthews is proving it is the Democrats who keep associating food stamps with blacks. And the Democrats kept plenty of thier racist bigots after the CRA and instead of trying to weed them out like the Republicans do, the Democrats prefer to diplay them out front as their leader in the Senate.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007

Well let’s see, you have a VP saying Romney wants to put the blacks back in chains, a main stream media that basically embraces this philosophy instead of denouncing it as the bullshit that it is, is there any shock why the Republicans get a bad rap?

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2000
I find it hard to envision this happening at the DNC:

From http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.co...rom-rnc-after-taunting-black-camera-operator/ -

Two people removed from RNC after taunting black camera operator

Tampa, Florida (CNN) – Two people were removed from the Republican National Convention Tuesday after they threw nuts at an African-American CNN camera operator and said, “This is how we feed animals.”

Multiple witnesses observed the exchange and RNC security and police immediately removed the two people from the Tampa Bay Times Forum.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
My post wasn't about your question to Matt. Let me clarify...it was my question directed specifically to you.

"Can you cite anything factual to support your belief that the GOP is significantly racist?"
Let me clarify. Your question is a straw man. I did not profess a belief that the GOP is significantly racist. I have offered no opinion about it one way or the other. My comments addressed the widespread perception.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Well let’s see, you have a VP saying Romney wants to put the blacks back in chains, a main stream media that basically embraces this philosophy instead of denouncing it as the bullshit that it is, is there any shock why the Republicans get a bad rap?
So you are acknowledging your original comment, the one I challenged, is incorrect, and that there is, in fact, a widespread perception that the GOP is significantly racist. That was my point, that your comment, "Well luckily the majority of the population doesn't believe that rhetoric." is wishful thinking, not grounded in reality. It is a common perception.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
Jump on the bandwagon.

1. Duke and lacrosse.

2.Madonna Constantine.

3. Langston Carroway.

4.Tawana Brawley

5. Morton Downey Jr.

6. Azalea Cooley.

7.Alicia Hardin

8..............nevermind, you get the picture don't you Vito?

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
Let me clarify. Your question is a straw man. I did not profess a belief that the GOP is significantly racist. I have offered no opinion about it one way or the other. My comments addressed the widespread perception.

I will openly offer an opinion and question it :)

have you seen the GOP convention photos? are there any people of color out there at the convention!? Other than the facility workers of course :)

We seem to go thru this every 4years with the GOP and their convention, only this time...according to one registered republican...it seems to have gotten worse

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...9bcbc00-f110-11e1-a612-3cfc842a6d89_blog.html

from the link: "I am embarrassed at the lack of diversity at this convention. Have the Republicans not noticed the demographic changes that are taking place in this country? Numerically, there are not enough old, white, balding males to win a national election."

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2000
Jump on the bandwagon.

1. Duke and lacrosse.

2.Madonna Constantine.

3. Langston Carroway.

4.Tawana Brawley

5. Morton Downey Jr.

6. Azalea Cooley.

7.Alicia Hardin

8..............nevermind, you get the picture don't you Vito?

What are you talking about? Even the RNC has acknowledged that this happened. I know it doesn't fit well into your rabidly partisan framework that some Republicans acted as bigoted bullies, but that doesn't make it untrue.

I find it funny that you have this list of cases chambered and ready to go. You strike me as one of those white guys who, against all evidence to the contrary, thinks the deck is stacked against white guys. Such a loser mentality . . .

Last edited: