Chris Matthews goes after Reince Priebus on GOP's race baiitng

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
Face it Chris Matthews is a long time Democratic staffer, he's a failed Democrat politician and he puked out a "I hate Republicans" monologue on an MSNBC show while Brokaw nodded in approval. Nothing new, nothing shocking and race baiting not shown. I bet the tingle in his leg was ferocious while he defended his BFF.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Face it Chris Matthews is a long time Democratic staffer, he's a failed Democrat politician and he puked out a "I hate Republicans" monologue on an MSNBC show while Brokaw nodded in approval. Nothing new, nothing shocking and race baiting not shown. I bet the tingle in his leg was ferocious while he defended his BFF.

If you look at the forum you can see a tremendous revulsion for Obama on the conservative side. We know that a successful get out the vote campaign strategy is to demonize the other team, to stoke the disgust and loathing to insure people will vote. Can we not therefore, in good logic assume, that all that hate and loathing we see on the forum came from somewhere, that something has caused conservatives to puke their guts out at the mention of Obama?

Now because conservatives have ego problems seeing how full of rage and disgust they are, they are going to also be blind to the triggers that set it off. They will look like sound reasoning rather that bigotry, but bigotry is what it is, the demonization of Obama as foreign, unAmerican, other, like, you know, black etc etc etc, all sleeping triggers that provoke disgust in lots and lots of conservatives. It is just so patently evident to every liberal who hasn't had his brain fall out.

This is just another example of where conservatives have left the real world and created a fantasy, European take over of America. It's totally nuts and obvious to anybody who hasn't swallowed the crazy dust. I don't say this to insult you but to tell you that I profoundly and respectfully disagree with what you posted. You are demonizing Chris Mathews.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Mathews is a longtime Dem. Scarbrough is a longtime Rep. This should not be news to anyone. They are both partisans.
Being a partisan does not make one a "hack." A hack uses lies and deception to further their point. A partisan argues logically from a perspective.
I would not call Mathews a "hack," nor would I call Joe a hack. They can be boorish at times, but both generally argue fairly from their point of view.

Just calling someone a hack when you don't like what they are saying but can't refute it is being a hack.

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
Matthews' tone was a bit over the top, boardering on boorish. He was, however, spot on in what he was saying. Its about time that the GOP is called out on this bullshit, as transparent as it is.

Lithium381

Lifer
May 12, 2001
Matt1970

Romney's false ads play directly into the fear and anger of many on the Right about "those lazy black people who want your money". Also see: "food stamp President", "welfare queens", etc..

food stamp president refers to more people are now on food stamps and welfare programs than ever before.... they try and turn it into a race thing when if they were familiar with statistics, more white people are on foodstamps . . . making a big deal out of advertising a birth certificate? He was poking fun at the whole birther thing. . . geez the left really only sees things divided by race, they're always the first to bring it up

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
To his points:

Obama's economics are taken from Europe.
===> ???

How exactly? Where in Europe? Europe, driven by the Germans and supported by FR, AUS, NED, UK, LAT, LIT, IRE, have been on a policy of Austerity.
This is the polar opposite of what Obama has been pushing. If anything the Tea Party most closely aligns with the Germans et al.

Obama's best comparison is FDR (if he could get bills passed.)

Why the Europe call outs? Its obviously stupid to anyone who pays any attn to financial news. So what is the point?
Mathews says its part of Reps effort to "foreignize" Obama.

Is he wrong? This, the muslim crap, the Kenya crap, the birther crap, the "I wish Obama would learn to be an American" all seems to play together. Maybe the GOP isn't trying to play this game. Maybe they somehow mean something else, and people outside the tent aren't seeing it. So please explain it then. Reince can't seem to.

emperus

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2012
Mathews is a longtime Dem. Scarbrough is a longtime Rep. This should not be news to anyone. They are both partisans.
Being a partisan does not make one a "hack." A hack uses lies and deception to further their point. A partisan argues logically from a perspective.
I would not call Mathews a "hack," nor would I call Joe a hack. They can be boorish at times, but both generally argue fairly from their point of view.

Just calling someone a hack when you don't like what they are saying but can't refute it is being a hack.

I think Joe's go to rhetorical device is "lies and deception".

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
GOP hasn't got more partisan, they have gone off the loony cliff. They are literally losing their damned minds, and they get away with it because they appeal to the people who no longer pay attention, are racists, believe in fairy tales, etc. and have no real interest in being informed about the issues and how they should be handled.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
[ ... ]
I wouldn't be surprised if Priebus is out after this election. He's been pretty pathetic as RNC chairman, although I can't say I care much for the DNC chair either. She's almost as bad and clueless.
This. Glad I'm not the only one that thinks both parties picked poor chairs.

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
This. Glad I'm not the only one that thinks both parties picked poor chairs.

They did. I just worry about the next picks. I suspect the trend will continue where the GOP gets even more crazypants, while the Democrats become even more useless.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Did you even listen to what Brokaw said? If you'd pull your head out of your ... partisanship, you might have noticed Brokaw disagreed with Matthews about the "racist" comments. He also said quite emphatically that BOTH parties are out of control with dishonest attacks, and that Americans are fed up with it.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
If you look at the forum you can see a tremendous revulsion for Obama on the conservative side. We know that a successful get out the vote campaign strategy is to demonize the other team, to stoke the disgust and loathing to insure people will vote. Can we not therefore, in good logic assume, that all that hate and loathing we see on the forum came from somewhere, that something has caused conservatives to puke their guts out at the mention of Obama?

Now because conservatives have ego problems seeing how full of rage and disgust they are, they are going to also be blind to the triggers that set it off. They will look like sound reasoning rather that bigotry, but bigotry is what it is, the demonization of Obama as foreign, unAmerican, other, like, you know, black etc etc etc, all sleeping triggers that provoke disgust in lots and lots of conservatives. It is just so patently evident to every liberal who hasn't had his brain fall out.

This is just another example of where conservatives have left the real world and created a fantasy, European take over of America. It's totally nuts and obvious to anybody who hasn't swallowed the crazy dust. I don't say this to insult you but to tell you that I profoundly and respectfully disagree with what you posted. You are demonizing Chris Mathews.

What I said about Matthews is 100% accurate, he was a staffer for at least 4 Democrat politicians (iirc including Tip O'Neill)and ran for Congress as a Democrat and lost. He vilely attack the head of the RNC and called him "garbage" and would not allow him to respond. No demonization at all, just cold statement of fact.

cirrrocco

Golden Member
Sep 7, 2004
chris took that sniveling shill to the cleaners . good for him. Wow talk about schooling him.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
What I said about Matthews is 100% accurate, he was a staffer for at least 4 Democrat politicians (iirc including Tip O'Neill)and ran for Congress as a Democrat and lost. He vilely attack the head of the RNC and called him "garbage" and would not allow him to respond. No demonization at all, just cold statement of fact.

That seems fair. However, you assume that because somebody is a democrat they aren't seeing reality, I think. Mathews was passionately angry at the conservative who couldn't see that Conservatives are demonizing Obama. Now you're demonizing him for demonizing somebody in total denial over his party's demonizing efforts. This is very much like accusing somebody protesting bigotry for being intolerant of bigots. That is one case where intolerance should be OK. The reason that conservatives don't understand liberal rage is they can't see how blind they are in an area where they are transparent to liberals. Not saying this doesn't go the other way at times, but this demonizing thingi is killing the country and anybody with any ethics or pride should be trying to find solutions to it, in my opinion. This constant warfare on the forum here is not only a waste but arms people to be better at being destructive.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Chris is fair and balanced. :D
Seriously, if people ever have actually watched his show, Which i doubt very much, you would know he is just as hard on democrats.
Especially when they can't explain their actions, good or bad.
Chris had a point. Priebus was busted and in that scenario Chris doesn't mess around. Chris zooms in on the core of the issue, and only interrupts when he knows Priebus is talking in distraction avoiding the basic issue at heart.
Chris has no tolerance for bull from his guest. Chris has been in the business long enough to see when the bull is starting to flow. THEN Chris will interrupt immediately.
Priebus is slick. Chris has built in slick detector, always on always fully functional.
Priebus was busted, so Priebus tried to create his distraction.
Chris knows how to deal with these guys. And he did just that.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
Chris is fair and balanced. :D
Seriously, if people ever have actually watched his show, Which i doubt very much, you would know he is just as hard on democrats.
Especially when they can't explain their actions, good or bad.
Chris had a point. Priebus was busted and in that scenario Chris doesn't mess around. Chris zooms in on the core of the issue, and only interrupts when he knows Priebus is talking in distraction avoiding the basic issue at heart.
Chris has no tolerance for bull from his guest. Chris has been in the business long enough to see when the bull is starting to flow. THEN Chris will interrupt immediately.
Priebus is slick. Chris has built in slick detector, always on always fully functional.
Priebus was busted, so Priebus tried to create his distraction.
Chris knows how to deal with these guys. And he did just that.

You're a Chris fan, nice gushing post.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
That seems fair. However, you assume that because somebody is a democrat they aren't seeing reality, I think. Mathews was passionately angry at the conservative who couldn't see that Conservatives are demonizing Obama. Now you're demonizing him for demonizing somebody in total denial over his party's demonizing efforts. This is very much like accusing somebody protesting bigotry for being intolerant of bigots. That is one case where intolerance should be OK. The reason that conservatives don't understand liberal rage is they can't see how blind they are in an area where they are transparent to liberals. Not saying this doesn't go the other way at times, but this demonizing thingi is killing the country and anybody with any ethics or pride should be trying to find solutions to it, in my opinion. This constant warfare on the forum here is not only a waste but arms people to be better at being destructive.

I do not agree with your calling my factual and honest description of Chris Matthews being a long time Democrat and a partisan media celebrity as "demonizing". Look around in the forum, I'm sure you can find better examples of "demonizing" and dehumanizing political opponents than that.

I'll list some topics if you really need some help.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I do not agree with your calling my factual and honest description of Chris Matthews being a long time Democrat and a partisan media celebrity as "demonizing". Look around in the forum, I'm sure you can find better examples of "demonizing" and dehumanizing political opponents than that.

I'll list some topics if you really need some help.

You called his attack vile. That is demonization. I told you what I thought it was, rage against blind denial of the obvious.

Bird222

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2004
Is he wrong? This, the muslim crap, the Kenya crap, the birther crap, the "I wish Obama would learn to be an American" all seems to play together. Maybe the GOP isn't trying to play this game. Maybe they somehow mean something else, and people outside the tent aren't seeing it. So please explain it then. Reince can't seem to.

Don't believe it for a second. They know exactly what they are doing. Just like I believe that all of a sudden all these Republican governors/legislatures need to solve this big voter fraud problem right after a black person is elected president. Riiight :rolleyes:

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
You called his attack vile. That is demonization. I told you what I thought it was, rage against blind denial of the obvious.

That's a pretty low bar, but since it was said by a conservative I can understand your sliding scale.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/vile

a : morally despicable or abhorrent <nothing is so vile as intellectual dishonesty> b : physically repulsive : foul <a vile slum>
: of little worth or account : common; also : mean
: tending to degrade <vile employments>
: disgustingly or utterly bad : obnoxious, contemptible

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
I think the barking done by Matthews is over the top and borish

But I think Reince looked incredibly inept and out of place..and generally uncomfortable

Maybe he is in over his head? He looks like a furniture salesmen....

Id love to see matthews do that to Gov Christie :)

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
I like Chris. Too bad FOX doesn't have their version of the guy where like Chris, getting to the truth really does matter.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
He's probably also a gambling doper.

Quit whining because your favorite hobby (getting loaded on weed) was in a lame assed study linking it to lower IQ when heavily used by teenagers. You're a big boy, you should be fine, just don't pass a joint over to teens.