• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Chris Mathews chomps down on her leg and shakes her.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
21,207
65
91
Originally posted by: Stoneburner
Originally posted by: Fern
I generally like Chris Matthews, but he was being a major prick.

Plus, he was wrong. The Constitution only defines the minimum parameters of the VP role. Much of what a VP does or doesn't do is at the sole discretion of the President.

Most likely when Palin and McCain met about her accepting the VP slot they discussed what her role might be. So yes, as President of the Senate she may be charged by McCain with responsibility for developing policy in the Senate (at least on the Repub side), particularly with regards to energy/drilling.

What did Chris want Palin to say to the kid asking her the question? "My job is to hang around in the case the old guys dies?"

Fern

This is wrong because

1. She said she was in charge of the senate. She doesn't understand what "preside" means and that the title of president is weak letter in most systems

2. She wasn't talking to a 2nd or 3rd grader she was answering a question posed by one. The answer was addressed to a reporter and to the public at large.

3. She's shown a lack of understanding of the position before, including the inane claim that the VP was granted flexible powers.
I'd have to say that Cheney's powers at times are pretty dynamic bordering on being so flexible as to be fluid. No telling what he is "in charge" of.

 

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
27,929
141
106
Originally posted by: Fern
I generally like Chris Matthews, but he was being a major prick.

Plus, he was wrong. The Constitution only defines the minimum parameters of the VP role. Much of what a VP does or doesn't do is at the sole discretion of the President.

Most likely when Palin and McCain met about her accepting the VP slot they discussed what her role might be. So yes, as President of the Senate she may be charged by McCain with responsibility for developing policy in the Senate (at least on the Repub side), particularly with regards to energy/drilling.

What did Chris want Palin to say to the kid asking her the question? "My job is to hang around in the case the old guys dies?"

Fern
Wrong. She said she is IN CHARGE OF THE SENATE, which is not her job. Furthermore, assuming that a president would task her with any type of policy is wishful thinking at best. The Senate creates their own policy without the VP, watch the video again. You should stick to helping people that earn an income of $250,000 or more commit tax evasion because civics has clearly eluded you just like Nancy Pfocker.
 

seemingly random

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2007
5,281
0
0
She has a beautiful smile but it's wasted on a repug. She could sell arsenic to your kids and defend it without hesitation.
 

seemingly random

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2007
5,281
0
0
Originally posted by: Fern
...
Most likely when Palin and McCain met about her accepting the VP slot they discussed what her role might be.
...
Oh, to be a fly on the wall in that meeting.

I imagine it went something like: be my hatchet man, smile a lot, say nothing substantial and go to the senate when I tell you to. Oh yeah, I'll get you a bunch of new clothes.
 

GroundedSailor

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2001
2,502
0
76
John McCain in his own words:

Q: What authority would you delegate to the office of vice president? And should those authorities be more clearly defined through a constitutional amendment?

A: Having been considered for that post several times, I've thought a lot about that. The vice president really only has two duties. One is to cast a tie-breaking vote in the case of a tied vote in the Senate. And the other is to inquire daily as to the health of the president. I really would do what some presidents have done in the past. A vice president brings a certain area of expertise and talent. I would probably assign some of those areas, like telecommunications or some other important issues.

Q: So not as wide-ranging as Vice President Cheney had?

A: Look, I would be very careful that everybody understood that there's only one president.
http://www.ontheissues.org/200..._Government_Reform.htm


And another response to Fern: The VP is NOT IN CHARGE OF THE SENATE. Preside does not mean in charge. All senators would take umbrage at that.




 

Fern

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 30, 2003
26,907
173
106
Originally posted by: SP33Demon
-snip-
Furthermore, assuming that a president would task her with any type of policy is wishful thinking at best.
McCain has already said she'd be tasked with energy policy (among others, special need kids etc)

The Senate creates their own policy without the VP
Assuming the Dems retain control of the Senate (easy assumption), there's nothing that says she can't work with the Repub side in developing policy.

Jeesh, HRC wasn't an elected official in the Clinton Admin, yet she and her supporters credited her with developing all kinds of policy (even credited her with passing lesgoslation - SCHIPs etc)
See bold

Fern
 

Juddog

Diamond Member
Dec 11, 2006
7,849
2
81
Originally posted by: Fern
Originally posted by: SP33Demon
-snip-
Furthermore, assuming that a president would task her with any type of policy is wishful thinking at best.
McCain has already said she'd be tasked with energy policy (among others, special need kids etc)

The Senate creates their own policy without the VP
Assuming the Dems retain control of the Senate (easy assumption), there's nothing that says she can't work with the Repub side in developing policy.

Jeesh, HRC wasn't an elected official in the Clinton Admin, yet she and her supporters credited her with developing all kinds of policy (even credited her with passing lesgoslation - SCHIPs etc)
See bold

Fern
She can work with the republicans of the Senate, but that's different than what she specifically said "they're in charge of the united states Senate". This is blatantly false.
 

daniel49

Diamond Member
Jan 8, 2005
4,814
0
71
Originally posted by: HomerJS
Saw this yeaterday. I do like Chris Mathews but he can be a serious MF.

He does have a valid point any candidate for VP should know how the constitution describes the duties but damn I thought somebody off camera was going to throw in the white towel.

Clip
I might give Matthews some credibility if I saw him act like that in a bipartisan fashion, but as we all know the dems get a pass with him.
So much so that nbc removed him as coanchor.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY