Chris Hansen type sting in Tallahassee

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

IceBergSLiM

Lifer
Jul 11, 2000
The scumbag solicits the minor.

Works the same way as undercover prostitution stings.

Stick out a semi-decent looking female cop... wait till she gets propositioned, sex for money... bam.. busted.

Entrapment would be someone going into a chat room, saying "i'm a 12 year old girl.. who wants to have sex with me?" .. then arrest everyone who comes to visit.

I gotcha I was assuming thats what they were doing I guess.

Lithium381

Lifer
May 12, 2001
I don't think it was a direct invitation for sex, just to come over. sometimes they ask the guys "what do you want to do". .. . sick shit

then it's just "my parents are out of town this weekend, do you want to come over"

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
I don't think it was a direct invitation for sex, just to come over. sometimes they ask the guys "what do you want to do". .. . sick shit

then it's just "my parents are out of town this weekend, do you want to come over"

yep

From wiki:
Entrapment claims

Montopoli also suggests that To Catch a Predator may not be as immune from the defense of entrapment as the show claims. Although Perverted-Justice volunteers wait for the suspect to initiate contact, former Dateline anchor Stone Phillips concedes that "... in many cases, the decoy is the first to bring up the subject of sex." Phillips defends this, saying that "... once the hook is baited, the fish jump and run with it like you wouldn't believe."[27] Montopoli contends that this alone may render Predator-related cases vulnerable to the defense of entrapment. This situation, however, may fail the "reasonable person" test of entrapment, as there is no persuasion or coercion involved.[28] The March 2007 issue of Law Enforcement magazine, a publication of Officer.com, addressed the entrapment issue from a law enforcement perspective. "Though defendants raised the entrapment issue in Riverside, a judge's ruling later threw it out. The judge ruled it differs from a police officer presenting a handful of drugs to a subject and asking if he wants to buy some. In this scenario, the person's being invited to make a snap decision. In contrast, driving to a meeting location afforded these Internet offenders plenty of time to change their minds."[29] The article continued:
“ Even so, Perverted Justice plunks precautions in place to thwart the entrapment issue. Volunteers never initiate contact with the person; all communication begins with the offender. Later, contributors never instigate lewd conversations or talks of sexual meetings.

Last edited:

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
I miss "To Catch a Predator." Hilarity generally ensued and the all-time best was the buffoon who went in the backdoor, took off his clothes, and walked into the room with a new bowl of Cool Whip and Chris Hansen swung open the door and said "Why don't you put on this towel and have a seat over there?" :D

Yeah, I loved that show. Reality TV at its best! They need to do some more of those.

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001
I see most of these men were charged with "traveling to have sex with a minor". Doesn't that bother anyone? Since when is traveling to commit a crime a crime in and of itself? If someone ticks me off over the phone and I decide to drive over to their house to punch them in the face, should that be a crime even if I calm down halfway there and go back home? I understand the soliciting charges these guys are getting hit with, but traveling?

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
I see most of these men were charged with "traveling to have sex with a minor". Doesn't that bother anyone? Since when is traveling to commit a crime a crime in and of itself? If someone ticks me off over the phone and I decide to drive over to their house to punch them in the face, should that be a crime even if I calm down halfway there and go back home? I understand the soliciting charges these guys are getting hit with, but traveling?
Playing by basketball rules.

Joseph F

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2010
I've been in all kinds of forums, all over the net. From top shelf, to the asshole of the internet, and I haven't seen any where people were picking up kids, or anyone else for that matter.

In-between "Top Shelf" and "Asshole of the Internet" where would ATOT rank?
BTW, Thanks for the new sig!

Last edited:

PricklyPete

Lifer
Sep 17, 2002
If anything, the last three days of solid rain and corresponding traffic nightmares it has caused should be what's bothering you. Not sure where you hang out, but I don't find myself fighting off pedophiles on a daily basis and probably wouldn't count that among reasons for leaving the state.

Lunch at Islamorada today? Bring your daughter (assuming she's no older than 14)?

I live about a mile from the beach off of Las Olas Blvd, so the area I live in is relatively nice. Leaving my 3 mile bubble (17th-Oakland, Federal to A1A is just annoying. Florida is a asphalt wasteland with some nice beaches and an alligator patch for a national park. Every day on my run down and along the beach I see quite a few interesting people...usually peeing along the road or recovering from their last hurl. The warm weather attracts the crazies.

That being, the water is fantastic and the weather is great October/November through March/April. I'm hoping to be out of here by March.

Lazy Days in Islamorada at noon tomorrow? Don't have kids, but I can bring my pet beagle.