Choppiness/Stuttering in Games

RamaAuran

Aug 18, 2004
Trying to understand why I get stuttering and skipping in just about every game I play. I play all different kinds of games such as Doom3, Farcy, CoD to Everquest and Sacred. Within all of them, I experience the same stuttering or skipping when the action gets more involved on the screen. My system specs are:

P4 2.8 ghz
ASUS P4P800 Deluxe
XFX 6800GT
1 gig of XMS pc 3200 ram
7200 rpm WD HD
On board sound
480 watt Antec PS

When I play these games, I have most of the settings turned down. I play at 1024x768 and I have AA/AF and Vert sync off. I also have fastwrites disabled in the bios and from using RivaTuner. AGP aperture is set at 256 in the bios. I am using nvidia's 66.81 drivers and I believe my AGP drivers are up to date as well. Is there something I am missing here? I would expect maybe Doom3 to be a little choppy but I experience the same issues in all games. I clean spyware regulary with Spybot. My harddrives are also defragged. Also, my video card does not share any power cables with any other devices. Any help here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

KeithP

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2000
You might try running the games with the onboard sound disabled and see if that makes any difference.

-KeithP

imported_michaelpatrick33

Platinum Member
Jun 19, 2004
Did you upgrade the video card and properly clean out all old video card programs? Also, did you completely uninstall the old drivers when installing the new ones. Sometimes updating drivers without completely eliminating the old ones can cause problems?

RamaAuran

Aug 18, 2004
Yes, completely cleaned out all of the old drivers with Driver Cleaner 3. I am really at a loss here unless I should be expecting this kind of performance with my system.

AnonymouseUser

Diamond Member
May 14, 2003
All of your games should be smooth - even Doom 3 - with your setup and settings. I would guess that the onboard sound is the source of your problems.

RamaAuran

Aug 18, 2004
Had the same issue when I was using my Audigy sound card, but I yanked that hoping that was the problem. I guess it wasn't.