Choosing the right air purifier

rpbrownphoto

Apr 3, 2019
Hi all,

I live in a studio apartment in Portland, OR and the living space is about 220 square feet. The kitchen is about 80 square feet and the bathroom is about 30 square feet and they're all connected without doors. I don't have allergies but my apartment gets incredibly dusty. My furniture is covered in a fine layer of dust every 2 days and the air often feels stagnant. Summer is coming up so I'll have my AC unit going, but I don't see that solving the dust issue or quality of air.

I bought Pure Enrichment PureZone HEPA air purifier that supposedly works up to 200 square feet which is close enough to the size of my living area, but the thing is so tiny and the fan seems so weak unless it's on the high setting. Will this suffice or should I return it, but the bullet, and spend the extra $100 for the Coway AP-1512HH that covers up to 361 square feet? It's still worth having a purifier even if you have an AC unit, right? It would be great to be able to use at the medium setting and still have the air nice and clean.

For what it's worth, both of these have stellar reviews on Amazon.

Reactions: SaaraWilliam

chuntz

Jul 16, 2020
I feel any air purifier works fine if thee are tiny particulates in air and if its layers of dust the filtration effect is quetonable.Even if it filters well the motors can develop issues due to the finer dust clogging the filter .

KB

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 1999
If you have a layer of dust every 2 days, then you must live next to a coal plant. If you really have that much dust I would go big:

If you are just exaggerating then you can go smaller. I like the germguardian as it has a good airflow for its size:

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Back in December, Coway was selling their Airmega 200 air purifiers for around $125 through Walmart. I picked up 2 of them because we've got all wood floors in the house and a few new rugs. It has a particle sensor and an air ionizer. The air quality indicator is a light that goes from Blue (good) to Purple (medium) to Red (bad). When someone walks by the air purifier and stirs up dust out of the carpet, it detects it and the fan kicks up a notch..the light turns purple. If I'm cooking in the kitchen, it notices the air/smoke and will speed up the fan....the light will turn red. Same thing for when we spray some cleaners. I noticed when I spray shower/tile cleaner in the bathroom our hallway unit turns red from the chemicals in the air. No joke...it's reactive automatically and appears to be working. More importantly, if there was a danger in the air that would couldn't smell, perhaps...maybe the indicator light would alert us that something could be wrong. (not that I would rely on it 100%...just saying)

I'm sure other models have similar technology, but I've been happy for the price point, volume, and the amount of stuff the pre filters catch. (dust and even gnats from houseplants) HEPA replacement filters are around $26 on Amazon...they may be aftermarket, but probably work just as good.

We have a house cleaner come once a week to vacuum and mop the floors ,but these things supplement that and keep the air clean and perhaps the floors and furniture cleaner during the week by collecting dust that would accumulate more.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
So .... OP joined ATOT to post this thread in 2019 then poof gone.

Check.

Then necro'ed by "YAATOTSB" today. *(yet another ATOT spam-bot)

Check.

Move along ... nothing of importance to see here.