Choosing right X99 mobo for SLI build

Timmah!

Golden Member
Jul 24, 2010
Please help.

I finally (more or less) arrived to the conclusion that i probably dont want to wait anymore, so i will be getting 2 1080s alongside new mobo, CPU and RAM in the near future. Waiting for 1080Ti is still a possibility, but i personally believe its not going to be more than 3200CC part, if released this year anyway, thus i figured the perf difference against 1080 should not be that massive... We shall see, bottom line, even if i waited, i would still want 2 Ti´s, so my following questions stand.

I plan to keep my Fractal Design Define R2 case alongside PSU and disks. Currently i have Gigabyte X58 UD7 mobo:

a1i7om.jpg

Because of its layout i could never have 2 cards (unless watercooled or being comfortable with high temps and noise in case of air cooling, which i am definitely not), cause the only relevant PCI-E slots were the first and third, thus i had to have cards next to each other. The bottom slot was no-go, cause the card would not fit because of PSU.

Now i am trying to avoid the same mistake. My budget is limited, so i am not going for the more expensive boards, one up to 300 EUROs with VAT will have to do. Personally, i was looking at Gigabyte X99P SLI:

20151117095001_big.png

Would love one of the newer ones, like the Designare, but that one is 400 EUROs and thats too much. There are bunch of MSI and Asus boards as other possibilities, but my last 2 boards have been Gigabytes and i had fairly good experience with them, stable with no major issues, especially this x58 was a treat...bar its abysmal PCI-E layout...so i guess i am gonna stick with Gigabyte.

Now the question is, if i stick first card in the top slot and the second card into third one, will i be fine? I mean will the bottom card be high enough to not collide with PSU once again? I was looking at some pics with SLI in my case (Fractal Design Def R2) and found this pic:

9da93ebf_HoZ_PC01.jpeg

its different mobo, but if you imagine the Gigabyte one instead, will the difference against this picture be that the upper card would be one more expansion slot higher? The bottom card in the same place and 2 slots free space between them (unlike one on the picture)? Need to be sure about this.

The other question, i am looking at Evga 1080 FTWs. Will be 2 slot spacing between the cards (if i am getting that right) good enough to avoid the upper card to become hot, noisy and throttle because of that? Or should i consider at least one of the cards water-cooled. It was my original plan, 2 Hybrids, but the price is prohibitive. And not sure whether 2 radiators would fit the case.

Thanks for your responses.

xLegenday

Nov 2, 2014
If you don't want to spend too much on a X99 board, the Taichi 99 from Asrock looks pretty good listed at 219$. Also good reviews.