Choosing refresh rate for my LCD

hk10Mbps

Sep 14, 2002
My LCD monitor support 56-75Hz refresh rate. Is the faster the better? I know CRT monitors do, but don't know about LCD. What's the benefit?

thawolfman

Lifer
Dec 9, 2001
Originally posted by: HappyPuppy
I didn't think refresh rates were changeable on an LCD.

Mebbe I be wrongful.

They be changeable but I don't think it affects performance......there's a technical explanation to it, but I don't have it ;)

RichieZ

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2000
I think its changeable on an analog connection, for example the Samsung 191T specs max refresh of 76hz on analog, 60hz for DVI connection.

I actually have this same question because I'll be running my Dell 1900FP off my laptop until my shuttle SB51G arrives :D

boyRacer

Lifer
Oct 1, 2001
Refresh rates shouldn't matter on an LCD... 70 would look the same as 60... it doesn't 'refresh' the whole screen like CRTs do.

hk10Mbps

Sep 14, 2002
> I think its changeable on an analog connection, for example the Samsung 191T specs max refresh of 76hz on analog, 60hz for DVI connection.
After reading this statement, I question to myself does DVI have a "refresh rate". By the way, I have downloaded the 191T user manual too, but can't find what u said about this monitor.

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
LCDs don't flicker like CRTs do, so it's not going to make much of a difference. 70 will give you a max framerate of 70fps, 60 will give you a maximum framerate of 60fps, but it won't make as difference as far as fatiguing your eyes.

RichieZ

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2000
I haven't even recieved my Dell 1900FP (Samsun 191T rebadge) yet, the specs i listed where those from the anandtech review.

I used to have a Planar CT1714, I used it with a DVI connection. I'm not even aware if it could do more than 60hz because I never had any refresh problems.

I assume if you click hide refresh rates this monitor cannot support in the monitor tap of display properties it will tell you. For example on my IBM thinkpad T20 only 60hz is listed (not DVI, but it has some kind of digital connectioln).

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
link covering some of this

selected excerpts

Why LCD screens do not cause eyestrain due to flicker.

CRT's use phosphor to create light by being excited by the electron beam. After the phosphor is excited, it begins to decay (lose light output). The electron beam needs to return to the phosphor in a specific amount of time (13.33ms for 75Hz) to keep the phosphor from decaying to the point that the human eye can perceive it. The fact that it relies on the human eye is why refresh rate/flicker is such a subjective measure. Each user will be able to perceive the Flicker differently due to their eye's ability to detect the loss of light.

LCD's do not use phosphor, but use a backlight, which is at a constant level. The image that the users eye sees is created by controlling the LCD material at each pixel. Since this is a fixed pixel display each pixel is controlled by a transistor that holds its state until told to change states.

So... the difference is that a CRT's phosphor decays and needs to be updated to maintain the light level, where a LCD does not decay and only changes light output levels when instructed to do so by the graphics board

jamesbond007

Diamond Member
Dec 21, 2000
Just so you know, it is possible to change the refresh rates on a DVI connection. Picture Does it make any noticable difference? Nope. :)

I have not tried to change refresh rates via analog connection, however.