Choosing a Radeon HD 5750 (or perhaps 5670)

Winterpool

Mar 1, 2008
I'm considering the Radeon HD 5750 for my ex-girlfriend. SuperBiiz is offering a 10 per cent coupon on various video cards. This reduces the PowerColor AX5750 to $116.09, a few dollars cheaper than the current Newegg rebate deal for the MSI R5750. There are, however, no reviews on Newegg for the PowerColor version. The fan looks bigger than what's under the 'pod' on the MSI card. It also only offers the usual DVI, HDMI, and VGA, rather than the additional DisplayPort available on the MSI card.

I don't think DisplayPort is a necessity (will probably be using HDMI), and I doubt I'll ever use this card for Eyefinity, so perhaps one should save $6 (and without resorting to rebate!) and select the PowerColor card rather than MSI?

Another possibility is a Sapphire HD 5670 for $85.49 after coupon, though I expect, for a $30 difference, the HD 5750 is worth the additional expense.

Last edited:

Hey Zeus

Banned
Dec 31, 2009
I wouldn't waste money on a powercolor brand. Get the 5750. Almost twice as fast as the 5670

Winterpool

Mar 1, 2008
So you'd say $6 is worth the assurance of the MSI brand? Any thoughts on the differences in cooling kit?

crisium

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2001
My favourite card ever was Powercolor. I didn't like that I couldn't adjust fan speed, but besides that it was totally my favourite - well built, excellent cooler that kept it ice cold. I ended up modding the fan from 12v to 5v to decrease the speed to about 40%. So imo you need to check reviews to make sure you can change fan speeds on Powercolors, but otherwise go for it.

Winterpool

Mar 1, 2008
Just discovered that the MSI R5750 is available on SuperBiiz for $144.99 - $14.50 coupon - $20 rebate = $110.49 final. Looks like my decision's been made, hurrah.

Winterpool

Mar 1, 2008
I may come a cropper on the MSI rebate. Fine print reads that it cannot be applied to other promotions or discounts. If they're mean bastards, they may deny rebate owing to the SuperBiiz coupon. This has never been a problem for me with other rebates, but apparently MSI can be more bloody-minded with their rebates. Ugh.

GaiaHunter

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2008
This 4850 sitting on my rig here is a powercolor - and it is sitting in here for a while with no problems.

Knowname

Feb 17, 2005
I had good and bad experiences with powercolor. Really the common MO for a dodgy company ^_^. I'd get the MSI since it's not for you.

BTW I when I spend over 150 on a videocard come heaven or hell I'm gettin a game with it. Like in the bundle not separately. also when shopping for a motherboard I look for the integrated SOUND chip I want... if I can't find it I've gone down on the chipset to get a proper ADI chip. don't give me none of that Realtek shit. your not insane, I am. I'm trying to teach the stupid h/w companys how to bundle GOOD equipment when in the end all I'm really doing is paying for some gimmik to get their old crap. don't ask me why but happens every time. I'll pay 2x as much for a fan with liquid bearings rather than a ball bearing one even if all the reviews are better. In fact I typically get the stuff that hadn't been reviewed yet. Like I'm currently wondering if a GT240 card can work with a 5750 to enable physx.

Last edited:

RobsTV

Platinum Member
Feb 11, 2000
The Powercolor 5770 1gig card Newegg had on sale a couple weeks ago for $135 is working GREAT here (like all previous powercolor cards I've owned). Fan is dead silent when I easily turn it down to 35% (using CCC), which is important in my HTPC. It is also one of the fastest, as it comes stock overclocked at 875/1225. One of the best purchases I've made this year...

This was an upgrade from a 4830 that I modded to no fan cooling. The 5770 runs much cooler than the 4830 ever dreamed of running. No mods needed. Perfect HTPC card.

A word about warranties that probably has nothing to do with this thread. In a prior life as a TV tech, we did warranty service for many, including Curtis Mathes. "The most expensive television set in America; and darn well worth it". It is also credited with bringing about longer warranties. Curtis Mathes products carried a 4 year warranty on parts and labor. ( above was from wikipedia). Junk. In reality, they used Sharp reject chassis. The TV's would be in the shop more than in customers homes. We would simply remove the defective chassis, swap in another sharp chassis that CM sent us, and repeat every couple months. Sharp was actually one of the best companies, but not the junk they sold to CM. So take warranties with a grain of salt. You never know where a product originates, and it is possible that a company like XFX puchases cards from Powercolor...

The $135 1 gig 5770 Powercolor card had a 2 year warranty, and since it was purchased with a Visa credit card, another year was automatically added. 3 years and free Dirt 2 in a quailty card was good enough for me.

Last edited:

alexruiz

Platinum Member
Sep 21, 2001
The Powercolor 5770 1gig card Newegg had on sale a couple weeks ago for $135 is working GREAT here (like all previous powercolor cards I've owned). Fan is dead silent when I easily turn it down to 35% (using CCC), which is important in my HTPC. It is also one of the fastest, as it comes stock overclocked at 875/1225. One of the best purchases I've made this year...

This was an upgrade from a 4830 that I modded to no fan cooling. The 5770 runs much cooler than the 4830 ever dreamed of running. No mods needed. Perfect HTPC card.

A word about warranties that probably has nothing to do with this thread. In a prior life as a TV tech, we did warranty service for many, including Curtis Mathes. "The most expensive television set in America; and darn well worth it". It is also credited with bringing about longer warranties. Curtis Mathes products carried a 4 year warranty on parts and labor. ( above was from wikipedia). Junk. In reality, they used Sharp reject chassis. The TV's would be in the shop more than in customers homes. We would simply remove the defective chassis, swap in another sharp chassis that CM sent us, and repeat every couple months. Sharp was actually one of the best companies, but not the junk they sold to CM. So take warranties with a grain of salt. You never know where a product originates, and it is possible that a company like XFX puchases cards from Powercolor...

The $135 1 gig 5770 Powercolor card had a 2 year warranty, and since it was purchased with a Visa credit card, another year was automatically added. 3 years and free Dirt 2 in a quailty card was good enough for me.

I also got the same card ;)

That is going to replace... another powercolor, coincidentally Radeon HD4830. What I like about powercolor (and sapphire) are their coolers. Usually bigger, and hence, quieter :)
Temped to get a HD5750 for the girls computer.... I wonder if they could run Barbie Island princess with 4x AA and 16x AF :p

Back on topic. Powercolor is a solid brand. Might not have the double lifetime warranty, but it is solid.