Choosing a good tablet.

benwood

Feb 15, 2004
I'm new to tablet computing and I'm looking at buying one of 4 different tablets: Sero 7 Pro with 8GB, Acer Iconia 8GB A1-810-L615 Tablet, Asus ME-102 Memo Pad with 16GB, Dell Venue 8 with 8 GB of memory. These are all Android tablets. I have no interest in a tablet running Windows and I can't afford a IPad. My price range is approximately $200. I took a look at the Sero 7 Pro at Walmart and while it was nice I think a 7 inch screen looked small for me. The 8 inch tablets' screens seemed better. But I'm willing to be convinced otherwise. The 10 inch tablets screens looked nice as well. Most of the things I'd want to do with a tablet is surf the Web, run a variety of apps and maybe watch a movie or play a game or two.

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
Nexus 7 or Tegra Note 7.

No one should buy another tablet in this price range except the Nook HD+, which sucks for games and thus isn't great for you particularly.

Ravynmagi

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2007
The Seri 7 Pro is not worth it as it shouldn't be hard to find last year's Nexus 7 2012 around that same price.

Immediately exclude anything made by Acer. 8 inch tablet with 1024x600 resolution display, that's pretty typical of Acer. You don't want that.

If you need an 8 inch table the Dell Venue 8 doesn't look too terrible. I'm uncertain how well the last generation Atom processor handles Android. The 1280x800 resolution isn't good, but it isn't really bad either.

The Nexus 7 2013 might be too small, but it's the best hardware you can get at $200 (Staples has it on sale for $200 right now). 1920x1200 resolution display is very good, it has a fast processor, and the latest stock version of Android.

I'd say go with the Nexus 7 2013. And if you need something larger, save up for an LG G Pad 8.2 (it's $350).

Trombe

Jun 30, 2007
Dell venue 8 should be on sale today for 130 from dell directly for black friday which is a very good contender at that price if you want 8 inches.

boomhower

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2007
Nexus, even the previous years model over the Seri. Dell looks nice for the price.

Imaginer

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
If you already (or will) sport an Amazon Prime membership, the previous model Kindle Fires are good. Reason being is that it is only on those devices that their "Lending Library" is available and some movie options. (though to be fair, Prime shipping is the biggest reason for getting Prime)

If I was coming from a clean software ecosystem, upfront cost standpoint, and wanting simple internet features, I personally would be more inclined to go for a balanced cost/current Samsung Note series. Mainly, for the additional pressured pen input, drawing mainly but handwriting notes too.

Granted, I might eventually phase that out if said self tried fully capable options (Best Buy having demos of painting programs installed) and if said self had to wait to build a savings to more higher range devices.

polypterus

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2001
I just bought a refurb Nook HD+ for $100 ($150 new). This is my first tablet and I'm glad I didn't get a smaller one. Anything smaller and I think it'd feel like a phone. At 9" (1920x1280) you don't have to be limited to the mobile version of webpages; text is easy to read, games and movies are clear and bright. Overall it's pretty amazing for the price. I didn't even bother with BN's OS and just put Cyanogenmod on there (it's easy, I'd never even used a tablet before yet got it right first time). Battery is great, HD videos play great, games are good, sound is mediocre. I'd definitely recommend it to someone looking for something to play around with. The refurbs come with a 1yr warranty from B&N. There's no camera or GPS though if that matters to you.

Last edited:

gmaster456

Golden Member
Sep 7, 2011
I would go with the tegra note 7. It's a great, underrated tablet for $200. And nVidia is great about supporting their devices.

rpjkw11

Jan 29, 2012
Nexus 7 2013 without a doubt. I'm waiting for the Nexus 10 2 to be released so my wife will have a stocking stuffer.