Choose 7 people to survive.

imported_Lothar

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2006
4,559
1
0
Choose 7 people to survive. List them in the order in which you would choose them and indicate the reasons for your selections, i.e., why you selected these particular persons and why you placed them in this particular order.

1. Thomas Lopez: Puerto Rican, 23 years old, on death row in Louisiana State Prison, convicted of the kidnap/rape/murder of two little girls ages 8 and 11.

2. Keisha Cunningham: 12 years old, sickle cell patient, African American, IQ 85, only child of father who is in prison and mother who is crack cocaine addicted.

3. Baby Boy Doe: 5 months old, African American, abandoned by mother in hospital at birth, Down Syndrome, no other known relatives.

4. Dr. Sylvester Washington: 45 years old, white, HIV+, Ph.D. in Romance languages, closet homosexual, married with two teenaged sons.

5. Martin Running Water: 89 years old, Native American, perfect health, runs 3 miles every day, married, 6 children, 20 grandchildren, 11 great-grandchildren.

6. Sheryl Lu: Asian American, 19 years old, asthma, heroin addict, three children ages 4 years, 2 years, and 11 months, never married.

7. Beauregard Fairfax Montgomery, IV: 29 years old, white, arrested for embezzling funds from family owned business, Grand Dragon in the Ku Klux Klan, pregnant wife, twin daughters age 3.

8. Gladys Spaulding Spencer Wentworth: 69 years old, very rich white lady, divorced three times, no children, no health problems.

9. Jean Louis Rennard: Haitian, 41 years old, arrived in U.S. as a boat person, in this country illegally, married, 4 children, diabetic, obese, alcoholic.

10. Boo Phelps: African American, 16 years old, high school drip-out, indicted for murder in drive-by shooting of two other teenagers, sings in teen choir at Second Baptist Church, father of three daughters (ages 3 years, 2 years, and 20 months), never married.

11. Dr. Benjamin Kim: Korean American, 49 years old, pharmacist, arrested for Medicaid-Medicare fraud, on dialysis, needs kidney transplant.

12. Mrs. Louise Kim: Korean American, 35 years old, pharmacy clerk, mother of Brenda (#13), and wife of Dr. (#11).

13. Brenda Kim: Korean American, 10 years old, straight-A student, violin prodigy, has leukemia.

14. George Webster: white, 25 years old, schizophrenic.
 

Modeps

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
17,255
42
91
I would presume that all of them would have some sort of health issue, seeing that this is a healthcare ethics class... but #5, #8, #12 don't... so I don't understand their placement in this poll.
 

imported_Lothar

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2006
4,559
1
0
Originally posted by: Modeps
I would presume that all of them would have some sort of health issue, seeing that this is a healthcare ethics class... but #8, #12 don't... so I dont understand their placement.
Yeah...I didn't understand that either.
 

Uppsala9496

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 2001
5,272
19
81
Originally posted by: Modeps
I would presume that all of them would have some sort of health issue, seeing that this is a healthcare ethics class... but #5, #8, #12 don't... so I don't understand their placement in this poll.
That only leaves 4 people to omit then. Ignore the healthy ones since they are healthy. You basically need to pick 4 to die.
 

Modeps

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
17,255
42
91
Originally posted by: Uppsala9496
Originally posted by: Modeps
I would presume that all of them would have some sort of health issue, seeing that this is a healthcare ethics class... but #5, #8, #12 don't... so I don't understand their placement in this poll.
That only leaves 4 people to omit then. Ignore the healthy ones since they are healthy. You basically need to pick 4 to die.
No.
 

Krazy4Real

Lifer
Oct 3, 2003
12,222
55
91
10. Boo Phelps: African American, 16 years old, high school drip-out, indicted for murder in drive-by shooting of two other teenagers, sings in teen choir at Second Baptist Church, father of three daughters (ages 3 years, 2 years, and 20 months), never married.

WTF? 16 with 3 kids? One of them is 3? He was a dad at 13. geez lol. I don't think I liked girls yet at 13. I was too much into video games.
 

Josh

Lifer
Mar 20, 2000
10,924
0
0
I've had this question before, I think you are "supposed" to choose the 7 that you think will eventually benefit society in a positive way or the ones with the most immediately family (children, etc) in hopes of rehabilitating their behavior/conditions.
 

imported_Lothar

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2006
4,559
1
0
Originally posted by: Uppsala9496
Originally posted by: Modeps
I would presume that all of them would have some sort of health issue, seeing that this is a healthcare ethics class... but #5, #8, #12 don't... so I don't understand their placement in this poll.
That only leaves 4 people to omit then. Ignore the healthy ones since they are healthy. You basically need to pick 4 to die.
Dont omit.

I'm thinking she put them in to see a few things.
Such as who has the social uitility, medical utility, economic utility, and other mindsets.

This assignment was a month ago.
 

markgm

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2001
3,290
1
81
Is this the end of the world? I guess I'd pick the ones that have diseases that I wouldn't get when I eat them, or that would be killed when cooked to an internal temperature of 160 degrees.
 

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
11,707
6
0
Screw those people.

I choose

1. Me
2. My dad
3. My mom
4. My brother
5. Jessica Alba
6. Scarlette Johanson
7. Angelina Jolie

that was easy
 

Josh

Lifer
Mar 20, 2000
10,924
0
0
Originally posted by: lozina
Screw those people.

I choose

1. Me
2. My dad
3. My mom
4. My brother
5. Jessica Alba
6. Scarlette Johanson
7. Angelina Jolie

that was easy
1. Me
2. My dad
3. My mom
4. My brother
5. Scarlett Johanson
6. Jessica Biel
7. Kim Kardashian
 

imported_Lothar

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2006
4,559
1
0
Originally posted by: Josh
I've had this question before, you are "supposed" to choose the 7 that you think will eventually benefit society in a positive way.
Not really. There is no correct answer.

But that is one mindset.

Some people pick the least fortunate, some pick those who are most likely to benefit the economy/society, some pick those who has the best medical prognosis, some pick those who have nothing wrong with their life etc...
 

rivan

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2003
9,677
3
76
Survive in what context? As in to carry on the human race, or as in be pulled from a sinking boat?
 

tynopik

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2004
5,244
498
126
say you refuse to complete such a heinous assignment and that you're a conscientious objector
 
Feb 6, 2007
16,432
1
81
Originally posted by: Modeps
I would presume that all of them would have some sort of health issue, seeing that this is a healthcare ethics class... but #5, #8, #12 don't... so I don't understand their placement in this poll.
5 and 8 are old, and age carries with it increased risk of death. If we're talking strictly about repopulation, a 69 year old woman is menopausal (most likely) and an 89 year old man probably doesn't have much libido anymore.

#12 has ties to 11 and 13, so if you choose 12 to live, but not 11 or 13, you're looking at a very depressed person, who will probably feel as though she is responsible for the death of her loved ones. Depression is most certainly a medical condition and important to consider, as it could also lead to her feeling resentment towards everyone else who was selected over her family members (and potentially murder or homicide if taken to its extreme).
 

OdiN

Banned
Mar 1, 2000
16,431
3
0
Originally posted by: Lothar
Choose 7 people to survive. List them in the order in which you would choose them and indicate the reasons for your selections, i.e., why you selected these particular persons and why you placed them in this particular order.

1. Thomas Lopez: Puerto Rican, 23 years old, on death row in Louisiana State Prison, convicted of the kidnap/rape/murder of two little girls ages 8 and 11.

2. Keisha Cunningham: 12 years old, sickle cell patient, African American, IQ 85, only child of father who is in prison and mother who is crack cocaine addicted.

3. Baby Boy Doe: 5 months old, African American, abandoned by mother in hospital at birth, Down Syndrome, no other known relatives.

4. Dr. Sylvester Washington: 45 years old, white, HIV+, Ph.D. in Romance languages, closet homosexual, married with two teenaged sons.

5. Martin Running Water: 89 years old, Native American, perfect health, runs 3 miles every day, married, 6 children, 20 grandchildren, 11 great-grandchildren.

6. Sheryl Lu: Asian American, 19 years old, asthma, heroin addict, three children ages 4 years, 2 years, and 11 months, never married.

7. Beauregard Fairfax Montgomery, IV: 29 years old, white, arrested for embezzling funds from family owned business, Grand Dragon in the Ku Klux Klan, pregnant wife, twin daughters age 3.

8. Gladys Spaulding Spencer Wentworth: 69 years old, very rich white lady, divorced three times, no children, no health problems.

9. Jean Louis Rennard: Haitian, 41 years old, arrived in U.S. as a boat person, in this country illegally, married, 4 children, diabetic, obese, alcoholic.

10. Boo Phelps: African American, 16 years old, high school drip-out, indicted for murder in drive-by shooting of two other teenagers, sings in teen choir at Second Baptist Church, father of three daughters (ages 3 years, 2 years, and 20 months), never married.

11. Dr. Benjamin Kim: Korean American, 49 years old, pharmacist, arrested for Medicaid-Medicare fraud, on dialysis, needs kidney transplant.

12. Mrs. Louise Kim: Korean American, 35 years old, pharmacy clerk, mother of Brenda (#13), and wife of Dr. (#11).

13. Brenda Kim: Korean American, 10 years old, straight-A student, violin prodigy, has leukemia.

14. George Webster: white, 25 years old, schizophrenic.

#1 - Death row. Don't care. Kill him.

#2 - How old will she realistically live to be? And what kind of life is there for her being born to two deadbeats?

#3 - Maybe they should kill the kid - living with down syndrome can't be any kind of good life for anyone.

#4 - He's a homo who contracted HIV probably by being homo. Dug his own grave - don't care.

#5 - Well he's 89, he's gonna die eventually...but I don't see why he is dying right now? Why would I have to pick if he lives? Are they going to put a bullet into him if I don't pick him?

#6 - Heroin addict. Kill her.

#7 - Ebezzler, racist. Kill him.

#8 - Same as #5

#9 - Obese, here illegally, alcoholic, making babies that taxpayers are paying for. Kill him.

#10 - Loser murderer. Kill him.

#11 - Fraudster, guess he shouldn't have done that. Kill him.

#12 - Same as #5/#8

#13 - I like the violin. Might as well save her...nobody else much worth it.

#14 - Don't care. Schizo...probably not exactly a great life.
 

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
35,662
5,934
126
Whoever has the best insurance coverage. So definitely all the inmates, #4, and #8.
 

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001
16,367
4
81
Originally posted by: OdiN
Originally posted by: Lothar
Choose 7 people to survive. List them in the order in which you would choose them and indicate the reasons for your selections, i.e., why you selected these particular persons and why you placed them in this particular order.

1. Thomas Lopez: Puerto Rican, 23 years old, on death row in Louisiana State Prison, convicted of the kidnap/rape/murder of two little girls ages 8 and 11.

2. Keisha Cunningham: 12 years old, sickle cell patient, African American, IQ 85, only child of father who is in prison and mother who is crack cocaine addicted.

3. Baby Boy Doe: 5 months old, African American, abandoned by mother in hospital at birth, Down Syndrome, no other known relatives.

4. Dr. Sylvester Washington: 45 years old, white, HIV+, Ph.D. in Romance languages, closet homosexual, married with two teenaged sons.

5. Martin Running Water: 89 years old, Native American, perfect health, runs 3 miles every day, married, 6 children, 20 grandchildren, 11 great-grandchildren.

6. Sheryl Lu: Asian American, 19 years old, asthma, heroin addict, three children ages 4 years, 2 years, and 11 months, never married.

7. Beauregard Fairfax Montgomery, IV: 29 years old, white, arrested for embezzling funds from family owned business, Grand Dragon in the Ku Klux Klan, pregnant wife, twin daughters age 3.

8. Gladys Spaulding Spencer Wentworth: 69 years old, very rich white lady, divorced three times, no children, no health problems.

9. Jean Louis Rennard: Haitian, 41 years old, arrived in U.S. as a boat person, in this country illegally, married, 4 children, diabetic, obese, alcoholic.

10. Boo Phelps: African American, 16 years old, high school drip-out, indicted for murder in drive-by shooting of two other teenagers, sings in teen choir at Second Baptist Church, father of three daughters (ages 3 years, 2 years, and 20 months), never married.

11. Dr. Benjamin Kim: Korean American, 49 years old, pharmacist, arrested for Medicaid-Medicare fraud, on dialysis, needs kidney transplant.

12. Mrs. Louise Kim: Korean American, 35 years old, pharmacy clerk, mother of Brenda (#13), and wife of Dr. (#11).

13. Brenda Kim: Korean American, 10 years old, straight-A student, violin prodigy, has leukemia.

14. George Webster: white, 25 years old, schizophrenic.

#1 - Death row. Don't care. Kill him.

#2 - How old will she realistically live to be? And what kind of life is there for her being born to two deadbeats?

#3 - Maybe they should kill the kid - living with down syndrome can't be any kind of good life for anyone.

#4 - He's a homo who contracted HIV probably by being homo. Dug his own grave - don't care.

#5 - Well he's 89, he's gonna die eventually...but I don't see why he is dying right now? Why would I have to pick if he lives? Are they going to put a bullet into him if I don't pick him?

#6 - Heroin addict. Kill her.

#7 - Ebezzler, racist. Kill him.

#8 - Same as #5

#9 - Obese, here illegally, alcoholic, making babies that taxpayers are paying for. Kill him.

#10 - Loser murderer. Kill him.

#11 - Fraudster, guess he shouldn't have done that. Kill him.

#12 - Same as #5/#8

#13 - I like the violin. Might as well save her...nobody else much worth it.

#14 - Don't care. Schizo...probably not exactly a great life.
:thumbsup:
 

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
24,510
13
81
Easy.

Save #2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 12, 13, and 14. Screw the arbitrary 7 person limit.

Why not the others? Simple, why should we save anyone who has clearly shown that they don't value their own life by either committing crimes or by destroying themselves with drugs?

ZV
 

gotsmack

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2001
5,768
0
71
Yea, what is the scenario in which these people have to be saved? That determines everything.

If it is from a health care perspective with limited finds then you save whoever is going to have the highest chances of living and not needing continuous care.

If this is a Jericho type situation then you want to kill off those that can't be rehabilitated or would take a long time to rehabilitate, like career violent criminals. The seriously permanently disabled would also be in a bad spot.

I love being the 'deciderer'!
 

imported_Lothar

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2006
4,559
1
0
Here's my list with Brenda Kim being my top choice.

Originally posted by: Lothar
1. Thomas Lopez: Puerto Rican, 23 years old, on death row in Louisiana State Prison, convicted of the kidnap/rape/murder of two little girls ages 8 and 11.
Die.

2. Keisha Cunningham: 12 years old, sickle cell patient, African American, IQ 85, only child of father who is in prison and mother who is crack cocaine addicted.
Live.

3. Baby Boy Doe: 5 months old, African American, abandoned by mother in hospital at birth, Down Syndrome, no other known relatives.
Die.

4. Dr. Sylvester Washington: 45 years old, white, HIV+, Ph.D. in Romance languages, closet homosexual, married with two teenaged sons.
Die.

5. Martin Running Water: 89 years old, Native American, perfect health, runs 3 miles every day, married, 6 children, 20 grandchildren, 11 great-grandchildren.
Live.

6. Sheryl Lu: Asian American, 19 years old, asthma, heroin addict, three children ages 4 years, 2 years, and 11 months, never married.
Die.

7. Beauregard Fairfax Montgomery, IV: 29 years old, white, arrested for embezzling funds from family owned business, Grand Dragon in the Ku Klux Klan, pregnant wife, twin daughters age 3.
Live.

8. Gladys Spaulding Spencer Wentworth: 69 years old, very rich white lady, divorced three times, no children, no health problems.
Live.

9. Jean Louis Rennard: Haitian, 41 years old, arrived in U.S. as a boat person, in this country illegally, married, 4 children, diabetic, obese, alcoholic.
Die.

10. Boo Phelps: African American, 16 years old, high school drip-out, indicted for murder in drive-by shooting of two other teenagers, sings in teen choir at Second Baptist Church, father of three daughters (ages 3 years, 2 years, and 20 months), never married.
Die.

11. Dr. Benjamin Kim: Korean American, 49 years old, pharmacist, arrested for Medicaid-Medicare fraud, on dialysis, needs kidney transplant.
Die.

12. Mrs. Louise Kim: Korean American, 35 years old, pharmacy clerk, mother of Brenda (#13), and wife of Dr. (#11).
Live.

13. Brenda Kim: Korean American, 10 years old, straight-A student, violin prodigy, has leukemia.
Live.

14. George Webster: white, 25 years old, schizophrenic.
Live.
I was accused of not having feelings because I was the only one who didn't pick the baby.
Too many resources.
 

imported_Lothar

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2006
4,559
1
0
Originally posted by: gotsmack
Yea, what is the scenario in which these people have to be saved? That determines everything.

If it is from a health care perspective with limited finds then you save whoever is going to have the highest chances of living and not needing continuous care.

If this is a Jericho type situation then you want to kill off those that can't be rehabilitated or would take a long time to rehabilitate, like career violent criminals. The seriously permanently disabled would also be in a bad spot.

I love being the 'deciderer'!
She didn't say.
I don't think we're supposed to look at it as an "End of the World/Survival/Stuck on an island/Reproductive end of the human race" scenario.

Many people in class were looking at it as Martin can take care of Baby Doe, Martin can teach them things, etc...Which I think is wrong.

The assignment was done a month ago.
Regardless of who you picked, you got full points for it as long as you explained your reasoning.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY