cholestoral lowering medicine.....

Semidevil

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2002
after coming back from the eye doctor, the doc said that he could see some cholestoral in my dads eyes.............

My dad got concerened so he will definatly watch his diet........and he also said that he might of heard of some kind of cholestoral lowering medcine. No, not those magic pills type of thing, just regular OTC types medicine that helps very little probably.

anybody know any?

dquan97

Lifer
Jul 9, 2002
Zocor

(see this month's Men's Health magazine. It has an in depth article on heart disease)

IBuyUFO

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Lipitor from Pfizer. You can't get it over the counter but he should check himself with a doctor.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
cholesterol lowering drugs are bad for the liver. Better to eat a diet that has little or no refined sugars and stay away from white flour (like bread, rolls etc).

He should also consider taking fish oil supplements and maybe some garlic pills.

+ excericse.

Kind of what I did and my overall cholesterol dropped. It was too high, but my triglycerides were in the 650 range whenthey shold have been under 200. Now everything is cool and back to normal without taking lipitor and other drugs.

huey1124

Golden Member
Sep 19, 2000
Originally posted by: IBuyUFO
Lipitor from Pfizer. You can't get it over the counter but he should check himself with a doctor.

i second that. Pfizer just announced last week that Lipitor lowers heart attack risk in diabetes patients and also healthy volunteers with no diabetes. There's a reason why Lipitor is #1 selling drug in the world, with over 8 billion dollars in sales in 2002 alone.

IBuyUFO

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: huey1124
Originally posted by: IBuyUFO

i second that. Pfizer just announced last week that Lipitor lowers heart attack risk in diabetes patients and also healthy volunteers with no diabetes. There's a reason why Lipitor is #1 selling drug in the world, with over 8 billion dollars in sales in 2002 alone.

I wonder why pfizer decided to lay us off in 2001? damn them but good drug though.

desertdweller

Jan 6, 2001

My step dad's cholesterol dropped in half in less than a year just from
going to the gym three days a week. He's in his mid fifties.

DD

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
He should also consider taking fish oil supplements and maybe some garlic pills.
+ excericse.
Fish oil works, exercise works, garlic is sketchy. Niacin is excellent for TG but just decent for cholesterol (lowering LDL and increasing HDL)but it's quite cheap. The problem is you need 1-3g daily doses which produces profound flushing. There's a bound-form of niacin that reduces flushing and several companies market sustained- (or delayed-) release versions that reduce flushing. At least one company has combined their 'statin' with niacin in a single pill.

Kind of what I did and my overall cholesterol dropped. It was too high, but my triglycerides were in the 650 range whenthey shold have been under 200. Now everything is cool and back to normal without taking lipitor and other drugs.
Congratulations . . .

i second that. Pfizer just announced last week that Lipitor lowers heart attack risk in diabetes patients and also healthy volunteers with no diabetes. There's a reason why Lipitor #1 selling drug in the world, with over 8 billion dollars in sales in 2002 alone.
Lipitor (atorvastatin) sells b/c it has Pfizer's workforce pushing it. There is evidence that some statins are better than others at important outcome variables (coronary events, coronary mortality). Lipitor is at best in the middle of the pack. Pfizer priced it competitively and keeps every internal medicine doctor's cabinet filled with samples.

A high fiber (soluble and insoluble) diet can reduce cholesterol.
Ditto but it requires some calculus. If you eat a whole lot of cholesterol then either decreasing intake (or absorption by increasing for fiber intake) is typically helpful. If you've got moderate consumption but bad genes (excess endogenous production, poor utilization, poor transport) you are screwed. It's possible your cholesterol will increase if you eat less cholesterol.

biffbacon

Golden Member
Feb 22, 2003
Originally posted by: rudder
cholesterol lowering drugs are bad for the liver. Better to eat a diet that has little or no refined sugars and stay away from white flour (like bread, rolls etc).

+ excericse.

the fact that he can see cholesterol deposits in his eye means his cholesterol is pretty high. At this point, he needs to get some blood drawn, and figure out his levels. Exercise and diet help, but his is probably pretty high, and he could definitely benefit from a cholesterol lowering drug. There are a few choices. Like someone mentioned, niacin is good and cheap, but it has side effect like flushing in a good number of patients, and i understand it tastes pretty bad too. The most likely choice would be one of the statin drugs (ie. lipitor, zocor, etc). True they can cause liver damage, but in a small number of patients. Further, liver function tests are monitored at regular intervals if u are on one of these drugs, and if there is any sign of damage they are stopped. It is most likely he will be started on one of these, and will benefit from it immensely