Choice Intel/AMD and preferred MB

stealthy

Aug 21, 2000
Hi,

I have been asked to build a new PC. I have build an Athlon based system recently. Now, due to his recent experience, I'm not in favour of building again an Athlon system. I have had too much incompatibilities with the different MB I tried. (It costed me quite some money)
Ok, I finally succeeded in my quest. But, this time my concern is stability and don't want to take the extra expenses for finding the components that fit together.
So, my question is if the 815 based MB are also suffering from incompatibilities so much as the Via based boards do ?
I'm I wrong ? Please be honest. I don't care this time for having the fastest machine in town :) Stability is the key.
For reference the system will include : 512Mb Mushkin PC133 CAS2, GeForce GTS videoboard, Promise Fasttrack or Supertrack RAID controller, 2 IBM 75GXP 45Gb HD, Plextor 12/10/32 ATAPI writer, SB Live ! or Areal SQ2500 Vortex Soundcard.

Suggestions,

D

MSNY

Oct 29, 1999
If you want real stability then buy a BX board or I would wait for the 815EP to ramp up and more boards produced. Problem is right now these chipsets are in there infancy and thus there are problems. Maybe what you don't want to hear but I'd wait about 6 months to build at this point. You will then find 1.5ghz chips the mainstay with better chipset support.

java2

Jul 7, 2000
I have both types, P3 on an 815 and a Duron on a Abit KT7.....If I were building another it would be a Duron or Thunderbird on .......... now thats the tough part. I have used the KT7 and the Asus A7V and liked them both. Many seem to like the MSI K7T. Also the new boards based on the Via KT133a seem very promising. AMD is where the value and performance is today. Don't count them out because of your Athlon experience.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
I was going to buy a 815i board based system,but decided on the AMD T-bird with MSI K7T PRO ,yes Via chipset anyway I`m very happy I made the right choice it`s the most stable system I`ve ever owned.

I also play loads of games,I don`t want to make your choice of brands harder but AMD systems are just as stable.

Getting back on topic for 815 boards go with Asus CUSL2 or MSI 815E PRO these are the top two for best boards & stability department.

:)

stealthy

Aug 21, 2000
Thanks,

Personally my preference is with an AMD based system (price/performance). What I didn't like is that I experencied some incompatibility problems when adding cards (TV card, soundcard, ...). Especially the SB Live caused quite some headaches.
What I forgot to tell is that it will contain a soundcard, modem, ethernet board, promise fasttrack or supertrack raid controller, and there should be good support for USB (digital camera).
Here's is where my fear coms from. A lot of PCI cards causing a lot of headaches :):)
Any experience ?

D

SuperSix

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
For the BEST stability, get an Intel i815EEA(L) board. If you have to use AMD, use only theMicrostar K7TPro2-A board.