Choice for Jesus not for thee

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
In your moronic self-centered little world does anyone NOT "hate themselves"??

Pretty obvious that YOU do. :tearsofjoy: (and with good reason)

You really are a pathetic piece of work Moonpile .... back on ignore is all you rate thanks for the reminder.

Is there anyone who _doesn't_ have him on ignore at this point?

• Haha
Reactions: Captante

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
The thing is these people are doing EXACTLY what the bible commands. Have pity on everyone who isn't like them, for the end destination will be hell.

You see, the problem is most Christians aren't really Christian. This "oh Jesus IS love" is complete garbage. Jesus did do some great things, like take care of the poor, the elderly and the disabled. At least, this is what the bible says. We don't have any info on Jesus outside the bible. No 3rd party sources. Anyway, the other side of Jesus was quite dark. He was someone who was constantly preaching about the end times, and how most people are bound for hell. There arer over 60 verses in the NT about hell. So, what should a REAL Christian do? Easy. Take up the cross. And what does that mean? Its means to preach to EVERYONE and ANYONE about why they are doomed for hell if they aren't Christian. To take up the cross means to attempt to convert others at work, on internet forums, on the street with strangers, etc. But, most Christians are unable to engage in this behavior because that would mean being fired from your job, loss of friends, family, etc. But, this is what IS EXPECTED. To become a martyr for Jesus. If not, then you are just fake and will recieve the same fate as the non-believers. That is the ugly truth about Christanity.

People love to take shots at Muslims, especially Christians. But, IMO Muslims are staying true to the Dean, or scripture in the Holy Quran. They are considered backwards, and they do treat the LGBTQ community horrible. I'm in way defending Islam, but they are atleast keeping true to their scripture. Christians OTOH have watered the bible down, because the actual truth is if they they acted on the bible EXACLTY like is expected of a real Christian, they would look insane. Think the guy with the cardboard sign with the Repent and Follow Jesus message while he screams on the street corner that the end is neigh. How do most people preceive this man? Crazy? A bit insane? But, he is the one who has taken up the cross. A true Christian. Does anyone remember Fred Phelps and the Westboro Church? Horrible people. But, they were only doing what the bible commands. They took up the cross and people hatd them for it. But, the reality is they were true Christians.

I don't condone any of this. I believe religion to be very problematic. It worked many thousands of years ago because the people back then had no idea about the world. It was all a mystery, so therefore God.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
The thing is these people are doing EXACTLY what the bible commands. Have pity on everyone who isn't like them, for the end destination will be hell.

You see, the problem is most Christians aren't really Christian. This "oh Jesus IS love" is complete garbage. Jesus did do some great things, like take care of the poor, the elderly and the disabled. At least, this is what the bible says. We don't have any info on Jesus outside the bible. No 3rd party sources. Anyway, the other side of Jesus was quite dark. He was someone who was constantly preaching about the end times, and how most people are bound for hell. There arer over 60 verses in the NT about hell. So, what should a REAL Christian do? Easy. Take up the cross. And what does that mean? Its means to preach to EVERYONE and ANYONE about why they are doomed for hell if they aren't Christian. To take up the cross means to attempt to convert others at work, on internet forums, on the street with strangers, etc. But, most Christians are unable to engage in this behavior because that would mean being fired from your job, loss of friends, family, etc. But, this is what IS EXPECTED. To become a martyr for Jesus. If not, then you are just fake and will recieve the same fate as the non-believers. That is the ugly truth about Christanity.

People love to take shots at Muslims, especially Christians. But, IMO Muslims are staying true to the Dean, or scripture in the Holy Quran. They are considered backwards, and they do treat the LGBTQ community horrible. I'm in way defending Islam, but they are atleast keeping true to their scripture. Christians OTOH have watered the bible down, because the actual truth is if they they acted on the bible EXACLTY like is expected of a real Christian, they would look insane. Think the guy with the cardboard sign with the Repent and Follow Jesus message while he screams on the street corner that the end is neigh. How do most people preceive this man? Crazy? A bit insane? But, he is the one who has taken up the cross. A true Christian. Does anyone remember Fred Phelps and the Westboro Church? Horrible people. But, they were only doing what the bible commands. They took up the cross and people hatd them for it. But, the reality is they were true Christians.

I don't condone any of this. I believe religion to be very problematic. It worked many thousands of years ago because the people back then had no idea about the world. It was all a mystery, so therefore God.
They worshiped the reality around them. Things that they thought brought them more food and amazement at how this was all connected to the phases of the moon, the movement of the sun. Seems way more sane than some made up authoritarian father figure.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
The good news is that this Christianity nonsense is going out of style in a hurry.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
You see, the problem is most Christians aren't really Christian.

Technically you are 100% correct about Jesus, the bible and most so-called "Christians".

The reason the vast majority don't actually follow the teachings of Christ is that giving up all of your worldly possessions, forgiving people who wrong you and truly loving your enemies ain't easy for most of us to pull off IRL.

;)

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Hope you feel better.

Also CTFD. ;)

self-righ·teous ˌself-ˈrī-chəs. : convinced of one's own righteousness especially in contrast with the actions and beliefs of others : narrow-mindedly moralistic. (Mirriam-Webster)

Where exactly did I profess to have all the answers?

All the FACTS I mentioned about the CATHOLIC CHURCH (not you individually) are very upsetting stuff that I personally don't think Jesus would be too pleased about were he here now that's all I'm saying.

But maybe you're fine with them? :oops:

Anyway whatever.
Please accept my apology for my unkind remark. Should have just stepped away from the keyboard given that I was already aggitated.

• Love

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Religion, in my opinion, is a journey to satisfy an existential longing that can be satisfied in no other way, a body of knowledge surrounding various individuals who found their way. The value of religion will be recognized by those it helps to find their way. Outside of those who know religion, religion will be seen as the worship of stones because the worship of stones represents their state of knowledge as to what religion is.

The nature of ego is egotism. Only the meek can be open to the unknown. Only the empty can be filled. Only the modest can experience shame. Only out of a sense of inner wrongness can one seek forgiveness. Only if you die to the self can you be reborn.

We can all have a good laugh at the religious nuts who fear the end times are coming. They misunderstand. The end times already happened and we are all dead.

The purpose of religion is to confront us with that fact, to inform you that the an inner longing you may sense is the desire to come back to life.

The contempt we feel for religion, the reason we corrupt it from within is because we hid our despair behind a splendid peacock ego and live in terror of its loss. We died psychically already, please please not again. But there is another death we can’t escape even though we have that one on ignore too.

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
How many of us here rather support South Park’s God than the one MAGAtards support?

F298AE1C-4CEB-4C75-81CF-970EBD5B347D.jpeg

• Haha

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
Technically you are 100% correct about Jesus, the bible and most so-called "Christians".

The reason the vast majority don't actually follow the teachings of Christ is that giving up all of your worldly possessions, forgiving people who wrong you and truly loving your enemies ain't easy for most of us to pull off IRL.

;)

True. To be a Christian who took up the cross as a very devout Christian in 2022 would come with some very serious drawbacks.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
True. To be a Christian who took up the cross as a very devout Christian in 2022 would come with some very serious drawbacks.
So true. The scoffing ridicule of God crazed Atheists is so much worse than being eaten by lions.

• Haha
Reactions: Ajay

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Yeah, it's not the 1950s anymore. Our crosses where mainly our own. Society accepted us and we fully participated in politics and our communities at large as Americans. Now the amount of vitriol cast our way is a bit shocking at times. We are considered evil for wanting to uphold some moral goods that have stood for over two millennia. We think that human nature really haven't changed over the past few thousand years; that only technology has changed. People say we made up Jesus in the bible to fool people and hence control them. The Romans murdered Christians for 300 years. Usually in horrible ways. Not a very clever plan at all. Now more than any time in recent history our crosses come from society at large, the news, social media, etc.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
Yeah, it's not the 1950s anymore. Our crosses where mainly our own. Society accepted us and we fully participated in politics and our communities at large as Americans. Now the amount of vitriol cast our way is a bit shocking at times. We are considered evil for wanting to uphold some moral goods that have stood for over two millennia. We think that human nature really haven't changed over the past few thousand years; that only technology has changed. People say we made up Jesus in the bible to fool people and hence control them. The Romans murdered Christians for 300 years. Usually in horrible ways. Not a very clever plan at all. Now more than any time in recent history our crosses come from society at large, the news, social media, etc.

What are you talking about? You're still the majority in this country and your fucked up morals are still shoved down everyone's throats. Women have lost control of their bodies due to your "morals". My trans kid gets bullied at school every day due to your "morals" and she can barely get out of bed some days. LGTBQ people in general are targeted thanks to your "morals".

Seriously fuck off with this persecution complex, I'm sorry people may say mean things to you on a message board but other people have real life problems we have to deal with thanks to your bullshit.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
What are you talking about? You're still the majority in this country and your fucked up morals are still shoved down everyone's throats. Women have lost control of their bodies due to your "morals". My trans kid gets bullied at school every day due to your "morals" and she can barely get out of bed some days. LGTBQ people in general are targeted thanks to your "morals".

Seriously fuck off with this persecution complex, I'm sorry people may say mean things to you on a message board but other people have real life problems we have to deal with thanks to your bullshit.
We are not the majority anymore. That why many in P&N complain about Christians having too much influence in politics relative to our numbers. Sorry for you child's troubles , bullying on any situation is unacceptable. I was bullied for a while in elementary school, it's very stressful. People being mean to me on a message board is the least of my problems.

• Haha
Reactions: hal2kilo

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
We are considered evil for wanting to uphold some moral goods that have stood for over two millennia.

I believe you've missed the point almost entirely. :(

Evangelical Christians are "considered evil" for trying to force their beliefs down others throats and the further they go down that path the more resistance you can expect to see.

We are not the majority anymore.

This also sounds like a trend you can expect to continue and I'm not sure why anyone would expect different.

Nothing personal against your parents BUT just because you loved them doesn't make the fairy-tales they taught you as a child true.

Last edited:

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
We are not the majority anymore. That why many in P&N complain about Christians having too much influence in politics relative to our numbers. Sorry for you child's troubles , bullying on any situation is unacceptable. I was bullied for a while in elementary school, it's very stressful. People being mean to me on a message board is the least of my problems.

You are the majority, you also have too much influence in politics, it's not mutually exclusive.

Your "moral goods that have stood for over two millennia" are awful. Slavery, subjugation of women, racism, LGTBQ discrimination, etc... Secular morals are far superior. I don't care what delusion some goat herder had 2000 years ago. If you want to believe that nonsense that's fine, but keep it to yourself, especially your "morals".

Last edited:

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Wait just a God Damned minute here. I am neither a believer in what people normally refer to as Christianity, nor am I a doubter in the sense that atheists are. I get shit on by both sides. I am the real victim here you fucking wimps. Pay attention to me. I am the one who is crucified at every turn, put on ignore, slandered at every turn; you have no idea what real suffering is. :)

• Haha
Reactions: hal2kilo and iRONic

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
Wait just a God Damned minute here. I am neither a believer in what people normally refer to as Christianity, nor am I a doubter in the sense that atheists are. I get shit on by both sides. I am the real victim here you fucking wimps. Pay attention to me. I am the one who is crucified at every turn, put on ignore, slandered at every turn; you have no idea what real suffering is. :)
o_O

• Haha

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
You are the majority, you also have too much influence in politics, it's not mutually exclusive.

Your "moral goods that have stood for over two millennia" are awful. Slavery, subjugation of women, racism, LGTBQ discrimination, etc... Secular morals are far superior. I don't care what delusion some goat herder had 2000 years ago. If you want to believe that nonsense that's fine, but keep it to yourself, especially your "morals".
And all of those moral values you claim are the moral values brought by some carpenter from heaven 2000 years ago weren't total secular contortions and fabrications and not the original intent. I think what you mean is not secular but secular humanism derived from the same moral sense as real religion. Secular humanism and the inspiration that produced ancient religion are two different methodologies to put forward as a recommendation for living the same moral beliefs. It is the audience and what the audience is able to comprehend that changes. The message is always the same. We are not alone. There is a hidden truth with.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
And all of those moral values you claim are the moral values brought by some carpenter from heaven 2000 years ago weren't total secular contortions and fabrications and not the original intent. I think what you mean is not secular but secular humanism derived from the same moral sense as real religion. Secular humanism and the inspiration that produced ancient religion are two different methodologies to put forward as a recommendation for living the same moral beliefs. It is the audience and what the audience is able to comprehend that changes. The message is always the same. We are not alone. There is a hidden truth with.

Morals have changed as time as continued, and so the bible has been forced to change as well. Think slavery. I don't care what Chrristians say, but Exodus21 in the NT is about owning slaves. And, how a slave owner should go about inflicting pain on a slave if they disobey. Such as piercing their ears with an awl. Have you seen what an awl looks like? But anyway, slavery was perfectly acceptable back then. As American slave owners were capturing Africans and the indious peoples of North America, they used Exodus21 as justification for their awful behavior. The same with Manifest Destinity. But today, that tyoe of beehavior is totally unacceptable. Its why most Christians cower when that passage is brought up. The amount of mental gymnastics that one has to go thru when they are trying to defend their faith is crazy. The same with the Muslims, Hindus and Buddhist. I'm a practicing Buddhist, but I just can't accept reincarnation and past lives. To say that a disabled person has sinned in their past life, and is now suffering in this current life just doesn't make any sense. We now have thee field of science. We understand disabilities so much better. But, for many Buddhist and Hindus they still believe in past lives, reincarnation, building merit, etc.

TBH, it all comes down to cognitive dissonance. Great video if you want to cheeck out what I'm talking about.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

When I talk to my friend back in PA about what her fellow evangelicals think they seem to have this weird view where their opinions represent the majority, hence why elections they lose are the result of fraud, but also an oppressed minority. They reaaaallllly love thinking of themselves as oppressed.

In my opinion Christians are still clearly the favored religious sect in America by a very, very wide margin. That being said I think their level of favoritism is less than it was historically. If you go from a 9 on the favoritism scale to a 7 most people feel that's oppression.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001

My bad, I was thinking of younger americans. Those who 'identify' as christian are still a large majority. Considering that we have such a large majority - shouldn't our desired direction in politics take precedence according to typical democratic rule?

We didn't invent slavery. We didn't invent the subjugation of women, we didn't invent racism, we didn't invent discrimination against homosexuals. These human flaws go back many millenia. I don't know if you are a bit shy on your knowledge of human history or human behaviour, but your stance doesn't make any sense.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
My bad, I was thinking of younger americans. Those who 'identify' as christian are still a large majority. Considering that we have such a large majority - shouldn't our desired direction in politics take precedence according to typical democratic rule?
That's what voting is for! We don't take your desired direction because it doesn't get the most votes. In fact, most of the Christian right's political preferences are highly unpopular. Still, the political representation right wing Christians get is usually significantly in excess of their actual numbers due to how they are geographically dispersed. Basically evangelicals tend to be in more rural areas and for reasons that make absolutely no modern sense, rural areas get extra bonus representation.

As to why so many Americans identify as Christian but evangelicals usually lose at the ballot box it's because many American Christians are squishy. They are vaguely culturally Christian but rarely go to church, etc. Then again it's not like the Christian right acts particularly in accordance with Christian doctrine either. (see Trump, Donald J.)

Reactions: Captante and JD50

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005

We didn't invent slavery. We didn't invent the subjugation of women, we didn't invent racism, we didn't invent discrimination against homosexuals. These human flaws go back many millenia. I don't know if you are a bit shy on your knowledge of human history or human behaviour, but your stance doesn't make any sense.

No one said you invented it. Your morals approved and promoted it. It's literally in your bible. You're the one gloating about two thousand year old morals, not me.

Modern day Christians are STILL pushing all of that crap (excluding slavery... maybe) using your outdated morals.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Morals have changed as time as continued, and so the bible has been forced to change as well. Think slavery. I don't care what Chrristians say, but Exodus21 in the NT is about owning slaves. And, how a slave owner should go about inflicting pain on a slave if they disobey. Such as piercing their ears with an awl. Have you seen what an awl looks like? But anyway, slavery was perfectly acceptable back then. As American slave owners were capturing Africans and the indious peoples of North America, they used Exodus21 as justification for their awful behavior. The same with Manifest Destinity. But today, that tyoe of beehavior is totally unacceptable. Its why most Christians cower when that passage is brought up. The amount of mental gymnastics that one has to go thru when they are trying to defend their faith is crazy. The same with the Muslims, Hindus and Buddhist. I'm a practicing Buddhist, but I just can't accept reincarnation and past lives. To say that a disabled person has sinned in their past life, and is now suffering in this current life just doesn't make any sense. We now have thee field of science. We understand disabilities so much better. But, for many Buddhist and Hindus they still believe in past lives, reincarnation, building merit, etc.

TBH, it all comes down to cognitive dissonance. Great video if you want to cheeck out what I'm talking about.

Your views here need no support from a link. I agree with and understand where you are coming from. My objection is that your truth is only a part of what I would call broader understanding.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
No one said you invented it. Your morals approved and promoted it. It's literally in your bible. You're the one gloating about two thousand year old morals, not me.

Modern day Christians are STILL pushing all of that crap (excluding slavery... maybe) using your outdated morals.

Are Democratic candidates much different in their morality on slavery? Slavery just got a new name. Today the have-nots are enslaved by a capitalist economy. Do Democrats campaign to free the slaves or are they not just more cogs in the wheels of the system seeking to apply bandages to a morally bankrupt system?
When I talk to my friend back in PA about what her fellow evangelicals think they seem to have this weird view where their opinions represent the majority, hence why elections they lose are the result of fraud, but also an oppressed minority. They reaaaallllly love thinking of themselves as oppressed.

In my opinion Christians are still clearly the favored religious sect in America by a very, very wide margin. That being said I think their level of favoritism is less than it was historically. If you go from a 9 on the favoritism scale to a 7 most people feel that's oppression.
It should be no surprise that a religion the founder of which, by His own intention, sacrificed Himself on the cross, shouldn't develop a crucifixion complex.

Last edited: