CHKDSK stuck 97% with ETA stuck at 7 seconds

Crashsad

May 9, 2017
test.png

So last night, I tried recording a games and then suddenly it freeze don't know why.. but i can still open other programs like chrome and task manager but i can't see them because the display is stuck at the frozen screen but you can see the task bar so i decided to restart the computer..

After the restart i found out that my folder which i use to store the recorded gameplay is corrupted so i tried finding solution online which then tells me to run chkdsk /f d: (yes the corrupted file is in d drive) my HDD is WD blue 4 TB with almost 1 TB filled up and it is fairly new because i just bought it not even a month ago

I read that chkdsk could take a long time, so I let my computer run for maybe 7 hours but the screen is still stuck at that and I don't know if it is running correctly or not.

While chkdsk running, my HDD makes like almost a clock ticking sound and the HDD LED sometimes go on for a long time and sometimes it just stay off

At this point I don't really care about the corrupted files, all i care is getting the drive back usable so i can do my work. Should I just power restart? or should I wait again?

All kinds of help are appreciated THANKS!

Feb 25, 2011
If the data is fouled up but the HDD is fine, then go ahead and reboot it, reformat it, whatever - aborting a checkdisk might screw up a directory or something, but it won't hurt the drive.

But clicking doesn't sound good. If the HDD is toast, then you've entered the wonderful world of failing HDDs and their really, really weird behavior. At least it's probably under warranty though.

Open the event viewer, and under the system logs, see if there are HDD errors. If there aren't, back up what you can and reformat the drive. If there are, find the receipt.

daveybrat

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jan 31, 2000
You need to download the 'Data LifeGuard Diagnostic for Windows' from WD's website. Install and run the software on your secondary drive. It's the only way to know for sure if your drive is going south (which it sounds like it is).

Valantar

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2014
While chkdsk running, my HDD makes like almost a clock ticking sound
That does indeed sound like a dying hard drive. Although it might just be caused by the drive heads repeatedly moving into position to read a bad sector, in normal operation that shouldn't be more clearly audible than the general sounds made by a HDD in use. I would back up anything necessary from it, reformat, run any/all diagnostics available, and RMA if errors still appear. Then, chalk it down to bad luck, and make sure you don't suddenly start distrusting WD drives because of a single experience. HDDs fail, that's just the way it is. They're mass-produced machinery with extreme precision needed for proper operation, so it's already kind of a miracle that they work at all (I mean, the read/write heads hover a few nanometres above a relatively heavy disc spinning at 5000-10000 rpm, creating lots of turbulence. All while successfully reading and writing data from/to cells less than 75nm*75nm in size. This stuff is crazy.). Failures are to be expected.

Valantar

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2014
If you have a bootable USB media that can run Windows (independent from the HD in question), that may be a better method of running chkdsk.
SpinRite may be of help (although: expensive):
https://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm
As the drive is a secondary drive, would that make any difference? It's not like Windows should care whether or not it's connected at all, after all.