Chinese Smartphone to America?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bearxor

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2001
For HSPA+ IIRC tmobile is mostly 1700, with some cities converted their older 1900 network to HSPA+. ATT is mostly 1900 for HSPA+

AT&T runs HSPA on 850 and 1900. I'm not sure how they handle areas with overlapping frequencies, but I'd imagine they still rolled out HSPA on both bands in the same area. There's be no reason not to.

TMobile is HSPA on AWS, which is 1700/2100. AT&T also own some AWS licenses they were planning to use for LTE, but I don't believe they've rolled any out since the TMobile purchase fell through. I think they only own it in about a dozen metro areas.

jacktesterson

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
I believe most 3G (4G) coverage is run through the 1900 band from what I've read. Depends on the city.

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
AT&T runs HSPA on 850 and 1900. I'm not sure how they handle areas with overlapping frequencies, but I'd imagine they still rolled out HSPA on both bands in the same area. There's be no reason not to.

Sure, it varies by area, but those are the majority of coverage. IE I wouldn't buy a phone without those bands covered if I wanted to use them on American GSM carriers. Most 'world' phones cover 1900 as well as the other typical bands. 1700 is a little harder to find. No 1700/1900 support might give you some very spotty high speed data coverage.

blairharrington

Jan 1, 2009
You might like this
http://www.slashgear.com/blu-quattro-smartphone-series-revealed-with-nvidia-tegra-3-03267981/

The Quattro 5.7 won't be out until March. Costs $300 new. 5.7", Tegra 3, etc.

Yeah, that's on my radar. I'd prefer a home button in the center though. Also, I'm assuming it's an amoled screen as all BLU phones are amoled, I believe. So that's a deal breaker for me.

Pantech is releasing a 1920 x 1080 5.9" phablet this month in Korea. Whether it reaches the States with LTE is another matter. What I should do is just wait until an American model is potentially released. But if I can get an HSPA+ international model that would be fine too.

Also LG will be releasing a phablet at MWG. 2013 is the year of 5" flagships and phablets.

Woah, this Pantech phablet has the ability to use the back of the phone to scroll and the like. That's pretty amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwYhG4E3iiY

Last edited: