Chinese Scientists Control Pigeons

effowe

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2004
Taken from here.

BEIJING (AP) -- Chinese scientists have succeeded in implanting electrodes in the brain of a pigeon to remotely control the bird's flight, state media said.

Xinhua News Agency said the scientists at the Robot Engineering Technology Research Center at Shandong University of Science and Technology in eastern China used the micro electrodes to command the bird to fly right or left, and up or down.

The implants stimulated different areas of the pigeon's brain according to electronic signals sent by the scientists via computer, mirroring natural signals generated by the brain, Xinhua quoted chief scientist Su Xuecheng as saying.

It was the first such successful experiment on a pigeon in the world, said Su, who conducted a similar successful experiment on mice in 2005.

How long until they figure out how to control people?

Mr Incognito

Golden Member
Feb 20, 2007
The new wave of suicide bombers. I wonder how much explosive material they can have a bird carry.

CityShrimp

Dec 14, 2006
Originally posted by: Mr Incognito
The new wave of suicide bombers. I wonder how much explosive material they can have a bird carry.

Exactly what I was thinking o_O
This is the future of warfare!... maybe

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Wow... that is fvcked up. What do the birds feel when this is happening? Reminds me of Yuri from Red Alert 2 except he's Chinese instead of Russian.

DanTMWTMP

Lifer
Oct 7, 2001
don't they already had tests where they had people control people lol? some reporter put the headset on, and said that he was compelled to move to the right when the machine told him to move right since it messed w/ the balance functions of your ears or something.

geecee

Platinum Member
Jan 14, 2003
Today, pigeons. Tomorrow, THE WORLD!!! ** insert menacing laugh ** :p

RichUK

Lifer
Feb 14, 2005
Originally posted by: DanTMWTMP
don't they already had tests where they had people control people lol? some reporter put the headset on, and said that he was compelled to move to the right when the machine told him to move right since it messed w/ the balance functions of your ears or something.

That's called hypnosis ;)

RichUK

Lifer
Feb 14, 2005
I?d buy one if you could. That would be cool to fly around your street.

I wonder if you can make it remotely do bird sh!t's too.