Chinese discovered America, not Columbus.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Aug 16, 2001
Originally posted by: Beau
NPR

"I came to the astonishing conclusion that a huge Chinese fleet of 800 vessels had sailed from China in March 1421 and they'd circumnavigated the world and they had created settlements in North and South America, in Australia, New Zealand, across the Pacific and in the Indian Ocean,"

The Vikings discovered America.
Nuff said!

heartsurgeon

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2001
well, technically speaking - the ancestors of the native american indian "discovered" america - perportedly by migrating across the bering strait area a zillion years ago - since "china" didn't exist then - i guess they couldn't be chinese then!

deftron

Lifer
Nov 17, 2000
I thought the Russians did.. Berring Straight

I heard they made it down as far as San Francisco but thought it sucked and left.

Their loss.

KokomoGST

Diamond Member
Nov 13, 2001
Originally posted by: LAUST
How can it be discovered when natives were already here :confused:

That's because we already know the Chinese invented everything... evarything!! :confused::D
I'm sure some Greeks on this board will have something to say about that ;)

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
bah, some native americans came later then we thought, atleast thats what ni remember reading somewhere:) me and my sh*tty memory.

dighn

Lifer
Aug 12, 2001
Originally posted by: 911paramedic
I am just glad that Columbus decided to colonize, because I cant speak Chinese.

(I hear their arithmetic is hard too :Q )

"their arithmetic"? :confused:

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: heartsurgeon
well, technically speaking - the ancestors of the native american indian "discovered" america - perportedly by migrating across the bering strait area a zillion years ago - since "china" didn't exist then - i guess they couldn't be chinese then!

Close enough; probably more like a few tens of thousands of years ago though;). Though I think the civilization in the area that is now China dates back a few thousand years.

virtuamike

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2000
Ahhhhhhh Injuns!!!!
- Bowling for Columbine

Seriously, if the Chinese had stayed, there'd be a hell of a lot more natives around.

tk149

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2002
Back in grade school (20 years ago) our teacher claimed that there was a Chinese colony in California before Columbus showed up. Possibly before the vikings.

I suspect that this is really old news.