norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013
Well hopefully this takes away any chance that North Korea would actually start a war.

BEIJING — China won’t come to North Korea’s help if it launches missiles threatening U.S. soil and there is retaliation, a state-owned newspaper warned on Friday, but it would intervene if Washington strikes first.

The Global Times newspaper is not an official mouthpiece of the Communist Party, but in this case its editorial probably does reflect government policy and can be considered “semiofficial,” experts said.

China has repeatedly warned both Washington and Pyongyang not to do anything that raises tensions or causes instability on the Korean Peninsula, and strongly reiterated that suggestion Friday.

“The current situation on the Korean Peninsula is complicated and sensitive,” Foreign Ministry spokesman Geng Shuang said in a statement.

“China hopes that all relevant parties will be cautious on their words and actions, and do things that help to alleviate tensions and enhance mutual trust, rather than walk on the old pathway of taking turns in shows of strength, and upgrading the tensions.”

From the Chinese state newspaper.

China should also make clear that if North Korea launches missiles that threaten US soil first and the US retaliates, China will stay neutral. If the US and South Korea carry out strikes and try to overthrow the North Korean regime and change the political pattern of the Korean Peninsula, China will prevent them from doing so.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...a0a64977c92_story.html?utm_term=.a002f9d115f0

http://www.globaltimes.cn/content/1060791.shtml

Reactions: bshole

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
This pretty much ends it for now. China just bailed out both Dear Leaders. Although wouldn't surprise me if Lil' Kim does his launch next week just changes target a little.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Thanks for being the only adult (and now rapidly rising world leader) in the room China. Yes, I feel dirty saying that.

Reactions: Ns1

R0H1T

Platinum Member
Jan 12, 2013
This pretty much ends it for now. China just bailed out both Dear Leaders. Although wouldn't surprise me if Lil' Kim does his launch next week just changes target a little.
What China does or says in the open is different from what they do behind everyone's back. For all we know they might be smuggling food & fuel to NK, trying to keep little Kim happy.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
The other half of that statement is also very important, that if the US tries to overthrow Kim Jong Un they will enter the war on North Korea's side.

Hopefully this is enough to allow Trump and KJU to back down without losing too much face, although Trump's tweets this morning indicate otherwise.

Reactions: Ken g6

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
The worst part about this is that this time it's the US that's acting erratically and irrationally. What does Trump hope to gain out of this, other than to wave his dock around? It's not going to get North Korea to give up its arsenal, it's not going to get them to stop their missile program, so what? My gut says they will ignore our threats and keep testing missiles. They won't attack the US unless attacked themselves, so they will basically just give us the middle finger.

I genuinely can see no rational goal the US is pursuing here and this is probably undermining our security arrangements with South Korea and Japan. If I were them I would be reconsidering a relationship with China despite its recent aggression. At least they are stable.

Reactions: Ns1 and pmv

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
What China does or says in the open is different from what they do behind everyone's back. For all we know they might be smuggling food & fuel to NK, trying to keep little Kim happy.

What do you mean smuggling? There is a constant convoy.

R0H1T

Platinum Member
Jan 12, 2013
What do you mean smuggling? There is a constant convoy.
Well they could be smuggling other stuff as well, which they're not supposed to. Considering they'll fight for NK side, in an attempted coup, there's no reason to believe that China isn't a major chess player on the board. They might not hold an ace but an armed conflict will bring China right back to the Korean war, no matter who escalates first.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Well they could be smuggling other stuff as well, which they're not supposed to. Considering they'll fight for NK side, in an attempted coup, there's no reason to believe that China isn't a major chess player on the board. They might not hold an ace but an armed conflict will bring China right back to the Korean war, no matter who escalates first.

Lulz they ship whatever NK wants.

Mandres

Jun 8, 2011
Thanks for being the only adult (and now rapidly rising world leader) in the room China. Yes, I feel dirty saying that.

I feel the same way. What a world when Communist China is the calm voice of intelligent leadership in security matters ...

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
I feel the same way. What a world when Communist China is the calm voice of intelligent leadership in security matters ...
Repeat after me, N.Korea is a side issue for China. China is far more interested in expanding it's borders off the coast. If we allowed them to expand unimpeded, they'd probably serve up N. Korea on a platter.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
I'm waiting for Lil' Kim's missiles to actually hit something important and watch Trumpelstiltskin backpedal away from his previous statements like he's done so many times in the past.

Reactions: ch33zw1z

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
It's more of a fair warning to Trump & the ROK than to the DPRK. I mean, it's perfectly obvious that the DPRK won't escalate past words. They're not stupid & they have good intelligence. They know what they're up against.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Lulz they ship whatever NK wants.
Are you stupid? Between Russia, India and Pakistan, the LAST thing China needs are functional nuclear missiles in NK. Sure, they are happy to have NK play foil to others' regional ambitions and will happily accept their role as chief NK negotiator. But they would not actively proliferate in their own backyard. Iran and Pakistan though...

Reactions: Ken g6