China, Trump, Secret Account, $15.1M cash withdrawal etc

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Not unusual that $15m was deposited and withdrawn a year after he was elected? At that point he was not a businessman, he was POTUS. But yeah...keep playing the dumb game.
After 2016? It's highly suspicious and I want to know more.

Maybe some wheels were still turning from deals that were years in the making? Maybe some shady shit? I would love to know.

Last edited:

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Just wondering: Why do we keep calling this account "secret?"

Was it more obfuscated than other foreign accounts held by Trump and his various organizations?

I don't know why people aren't able to tell you the direct answer to this question. It is simple. Trump is required by law as President to make financial disclosures listing his debts and assets. He is required by the Constitution to not receive foreign emoluments. His personal withdrawal while President from a foreign account immediately after a large business transaction on that account without disclosure are clear violations of both. In addition, he lied about it during the debate. His financial transactions with this are funneled through a series of LLCs. While there are legitimate reasons to set up businesses like this, it is also a significant flag for money laundering. The account was discovered only because of the Times' scouring of his tax returns for which he has falled to make public unlike every other President and has actively fought and lost numerous legal challenges to prevent criminal investigations from having access to them.

So, yes, Trump has done something illegal and yes he has done numerous things to keep it secret.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Business accounts are registered. You don't get to call an account a business account til it is on the books in IRS.

<---- married to an auditor and used to work in government in capital financing.
Is this account not "registered?"

...or maybe it is registered and not "secret" at all?

If it's actually "secret" and not registered, how was it discovered?

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
I’ll help you out:

That article is long and doesn't get to the point. It covers a LOT more than the account I am wondering about.

First of all, the article doesn't refer to his account as "secret."

I want to know why we have been repeating that it's a "secret" account. If there was some attempt to obfuscate the account, how did we find it?

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
That article is long and doesn't get to the point. It covers a LOT more than the account I am wondering about.

First of all, the article doesn't refer to his account as "secret."

I want to know why we have been repeating that it's a "secret" account. If there was some attempt to obfuscate the account, how did we find it?

Did you see it on his disclosure upon assuming office? Oh that's right he didn't do what is required by law.

Don't volunteer to be the president if you don't like the rules.

Congress has subpoenaed his returns and he is fighting it, why? It is well within congress's power.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
I don't know why people aren't able to tell you the direct answer to this question. It is simple. Trump is required by law as President to make financial disclosures listing his debts and assets. He is required by the Constitution to not receive foreign emoluments. His personal withdrawal while President from a foreign account immediately after a large business transaction on that account without disclosure are clear violations of both. In addition, he lied about it during the debate. His financial transactions with this are funneled through a series of LLCs. While there are legitimate reasons to set up businesses like this, it is also a significant flag for money laundering. The account was discovered only because of the Times' scouring of his tax returns for which he has falled to make public unlike every other President and has actively fought and lost numerous legal challenges to prevent criminal investigations from having access to them.

So, yes, Trump has done something illegal and yes he has done numerous things to keep it secret.
Thanks. That's a lot to look at.

... Trump is required by law as President to make financial disclosures listing his debts and assets.
Do we know if this disclosure exists or not? Would it be disclosed to the public or to a government agency?

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
Okay guys, listen... @Ichinisan needs to know all the gory details and it needs to precisely lay out how this was against the law and how and why it was "secret" otherwise it's all too questionable and it's nothing but fakenews. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Thump553

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Okay guys, listen... @Ichinisan needs to know all the gory details and it needs to precisely lay out how this was against the law and how and why it was "secret" otherwise it's all too questionable and it's nothing but fakenews. :rolleyes:

You forgot the part about not willing to read a "long" article in order to be informed. In other words, prove it to me-it according with my standards (his emphasis on the secret part) but I'm not going to expend even the slightest effort to learn the facts on my own.

It's like trying to convince a rock.

• Love
Reactions: Pohemi

ewdotson

Golden Member
Oct 30, 2011
Do we know if this disclosure exists or not? Would it be disclosed to the public or to a government agency?
The disclosure does exist and is publicly available. But as interchange alluded to, while Trump apparently treated it as a private bank account, it was set up as a corporate account, meaning he was able to avoid including it in the disclosure forms. From the Times article:

The foreign accounts do not show up on Mr. Trump’s public financial disclosures, where he must list personal assets, because they are held under corporate names.

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
I don't know why people aren't able to tell you the direct answer to this question. It is simple. Trump is required by law as President to make financial disclosures listing his debts and assets. He is required by the Constitution to not receive foreign emoluments. His personal withdrawal while President from a foreign account immediately after a large business transaction on that account without disclosure are clear violations of both...

...So, yes, Trump has done something illegal and yes he has done numerous things to keep it secret.
Thanks. That's a lot to look at.
I've read your posts in the past, and I know you aren't this ignorant or clueless. You had no clue about emoluments? Not buying it. You are playing dumb.

"Not wanting to jump to conclusions" is not the same as excusing and justifying this as "just another normal, legitimate business transaction". I think you know it's bullshit.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Hey guys where can I get a company that spent a few hundred grand and not land a single contract but was able to get 17M for me to transfer to my personal account and not get bothered by the Taxman?

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
Hey guys where can I get a company that spent a few hundred grand and not land a single contract but was able to get 17M for me to transfer to my personal account and not get bothered by the Taxman?
I bet @Ichinisan might know if you ask him...apparently they're a dime a dozen and it's normal business. Nothing to see here, especially not if you're the POTUS.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
Not my account. Never heard of it. That account is a pretty nasty account and never said nice things about me.
That account belongs to my son, who I put in charge of my business when I took this job.
My business of course. Not his. He just works for me.
He does a fabulous beautiful job.
He does exactly what I tell him to do.
I take full responsibility for the beautiful job he is doing.
Me

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I've read your posts in the past, and I know you aren't this ignorant or clueless. You had no clue about emoluments? Not buying it. You are playing dumb.

"Not wanting to jump to conclusions" is not the same as excusing and justifying this as "just another normal, legitimate business transaction". I think you know it's bullshit.

Perhaps, but if someone is asking questions and able to receive answers, I don't see a reason we shouldn't approach collaboratively. If you question someone's motives, I suggest asking them about their motives first.

What it seems to have established is that a number of people here have accepted a partial understanding because of the source or their own bias. Even if that understanding is accurate, we are all human. It is good to recognize from where our own understandings derive. And occasionally to challenge yourself to find your own biases.

It is not too uncommon that I will overstate my knowledge of something here or elsewhere with some intent. I need to expose myself to my own human vulnerability and get called out on it in order to aid my self reflection. When I am found mistaken at least in part, some piece of repair and reflection afterward tends to generate human connection and deflate the need in others to extend themselves beyond what they reasonably know.

Reactions: dawp

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
Perhaps, but if someone is asking questions and able willing to receive answers, I don't see a reason we shouldn't approach collaboratively.
You forgot the part about not willing to read a "long" article in order to be informed. In other words, prove it to me-it according with my standards (his emphasis on the secret part) but I'm not going to expend even the slightest effort to learn the facts on my own.

It's like trying to convince a rock.
Asking questions to sow doubt isn't asking to satisfy genuine curiosity. It's dishonest and somewhat obvious.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
LOL! You know what you sound like?

The first moment someone calls it "secret," my interest is piqued (perhaps the only reason they even called it "secret"). With my interest piqued, I obviously expect them to say how they found a "secret" account. When I get no explanation, I wonder if it's really "secret."

Is it not just one of many accounts you would expect a businessman to have? (regardless of unknown or dubious dealings)
The account is called secret because that sounds sinister. I'll go ahead and let you in on another big secret, it's common for any business operating in another country to have a bank account in that country.
It's just another click bait story to fire up the rubes.

• Haha

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
The account is called secret because that sounds sinister. I'll go ahead and let you in on another big secret, it's common for any business operating in another country to have a bank account in that country.

you mean the company that spent a few hundred grand trying to develop business, did not land any contracts, and was able to transfer 15M back to Trump's personal account? Let me know cuz I would love to have one of those too.

• Love

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
So to be clear you think a company that wasn’t disclosed which had piddling revenues right up until Trump was elected, at which point it had a massive spike, isn’t at all suspicious?

Just want to make sure that’s what you’re saying.

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
LOL. Are you Trump's new press secretary? I think you would qualify.

Reactions: soundforbjt

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
you mean the company that spent a few hundred grand trying to develop business, did not land any contracts, and was able to transfer 15M back to Trump's personal account? Let me know cuz I would love to have one of those too.
Easy enough to open one, and almost required.

• Haha

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
So to be clear you think a company that wasn’t disclosed which had piddling revenues right up until Trump was elected, at which point it had a massive spike, isn’t at all suspicious?

Just want to make sure that’s what you’re saying.
I don't recall mentioning that. I said it was called a secret account because that sounds sinister.

• Haha

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
The account he said was closed before he started his run for office but he withdrew 15 million from in 2017. Absolutely nothing to see here folks we should completely stop looking into it.

Reactions: dawp

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
Perhaps, but if someone is asking questions and able to receive answers, I don't see a reason we shouldn't approach collaboratively.
Asking questions to sow doubt isn't asking to satisfy genuine curiosity. It's dishonest and somewhat obvious.
Then I am often dishonest and somewhat obvious. I hope I am obvious enough to myself.
Asking stupid questions that aren't intended (by the questioner) to be answered? It's called distraction. Take the eyes off the big picture and focus it on one little snippet in the corner that can't/won't ever be satisfied, in order to discount the entire premise.

You are saying you do this regularly? Because yes, imo it is quite dishonest.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I don't recall mentioning that. I said it was called a secret account because that sounds sinister.
So, would ‘account that was only revealed after the NYT got access to financial documents Trump has been fighting tooth and nail to keep secret’ be better?