China to become superpower in 25 years

luminantlapis

Jul 20, 2003
WASHINGTON, June 29: China will emerge as a superpower in the next half-century, perhaps even within the next quarter-century.

This is the assessment of United States Deputy Defence Secretary Paul Wolfowitz, who says Taiwan is at the core of the US-Sino relationship, and America is firmly committed to seeing the issue resolved without the use of force.

In an interview published in The Washington Times on Wednesday, Mr Wolfowitz, regarded as among the more experienced Asia hands in the Bush administration, said: " I think the right way to think about China is that it's a country that is almost certain to become a superpower in the next half-century, and maybe in the next quarter-century, and that's pretty fast by historical standards."

The question was whether the emerging China would live at peace with its neighbours, Mr Wolfowitz added, "or will it go the way of traditional power diplomacy, which I think in this era with these weapons would be a tragic mistake...I don't think China has to be a threat, but I think if we're complacent, then we could actually contribute to the opposite effect."

There has been a constant refrain in media commentaries and analyses here and elsewhere since the Bush administration took office that the US wants to build up India as an Asian counterweight to China. This view has never been officially acknowledged, but India has not been loath to take advantage of the general perception and has seen its ties with the US develop to a qualitatively new level. Despite opposition within liberal circles in India and even within the Indian cabinet, New Delhi has apparently even agreed to some form of military cooperation with the US.

Since Pakistan is closely allied with China, the evolving pattern of post-Cold War strategic relationships in the region has been a subject of considerable study and interest in think-tanks.

Mr Wolfowitz, in his interview, said the build-up of short-range missiles opposite Taiwan violated Beijing's pledge to resolve the standoff with the island peacefully, but he thought it was "terribly important that everybody behave sensibly and maturely and keep that situation a peaceful one, which it has been for quite a long time now."

Early in the Bush administration, a US spy plane was involved in a collision with a Chinese fighter and was forced to make an emergency landing in Chinese territory. The incident led to tensions that threatened to affect a planned visit to Beijing by President Bush, but was ultimately resolved through diplomatic negotiations. The US plane was dismantled and returned to the US, and discussions are now continuing on what Washington should pay to Beijing for the aircraft's stay in China.

Asked about prospects of China's leaders making political reforms in the future, Mr Wolfowitz said that over the long run, the Chinese political system was going to have to change. "Does that mean it will (change) quickly or overnight? Absolutely not. And I don't particularly like being associated with theories of economic inevitability because so many of them have been wrong in the past."

Dudd

Platinum Member
Aug 3, 2001
Originally posted by: LilBlinbBlahIce
This has been discussed many times before.

Fine, we don't want to keep everyone from that new, fresh, and original Iraq thread.
rolleye.gif

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001
Mr Wolfowitz added, "or will it go the way of traditional power diplomacy, which I think in this era with these weapons would be a tragic mistake.
Isn't this a little bit of the pot calling the kettle black?

Oct 16, 1999
Originally posted by: jjones
Mr Wolfowitz added, "or will it go the way of traditional power diplomacy, which I think in this era with these weapons would be a tragic mistake.
Isn't this a little bit of the pot calling the kettle black?

I think his whole line of thinking is that this is OK as long as there isn't another power to challenge them.

athithi

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2002
Since Pakistan is closely allied with China, the evolving pattern of post-Cold War strategic relationships in the region has been a subject of considerable study and interest in think-tanks.

1. China needs Pakistan to keep India engaged
2. The U.S needs Pakistan so Nuclear weapons don't fall into the hands of Islamic terrorists
3. North Korea needs Pakistan so they can trade their missile technology ("North Korea's only cash crop", as Clinton so eloquently put it) for Nuclear technology.
4. The overwhelmingly muslim Middle East needs Pakistan as it is the only Islamic Fundamentalist nation that possesses Nuclear weapons.

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
I am more concerned if China gets ambitions to grab a piece of Siberia, and that could trigger a nuclear war with Russia. Russia would no doubt respond with nukes to even a conventional attack from China, because they aren't in a position to fight a conventional war with China.
I think if China attacked Taiwan, there is very little that we would do. I just don't see the stomach in Washington to fight it out with China. Certainly the chickenhawks in DOD wouldn't want to fight a country that could actually fight back.
I think as long as China didn't touch our business interests, we would let them have it, just like HK.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Umm wolfie, I have news for you, anytime a country can kidnap 18 of our fliers, a top secret plane, strip it, then have Bush hush hushing and kissing thier ass to get the troops back and still get MFN they are a super power. If you mean they will go globe trotting like your administration that's not thier style.

JellyBaby

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
Originally posted by: Zebo
Umm wolfie, I have news for you, anytime a country can kidnap 18 of our fliers, a top secret plane, strip it, then have Bush hush hushing and kissing thier ass to get the troops back and still get MFN they are a super power. If you mean they will go globe trotting like your administration that's not thier style.
Heh. :)

American corporate interests in the vast Chinese markets both now and future also held Bush's sword in check for him.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: JellyBaby
Originally posted by: Zebo
Heh. :)

American corporate interests in the vast Chinese markets both now and future also held Bush's sword in check for him.

We could have had that plane back in the states at their expense with a written apology if we had threatened a 25% tarrif on chinese imports

JellyBaby

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
We could have had that plane back in the states at their expense with a written apology if we had threatened a 25% tarrif on chinese imports
Never happen. The consequences of such an action, both political and economic, stayed Bush's hand.

China could start publically executing people in the streets, moon Bush daily on their TV networks, kick the IAEA out and they'd somehow retain MFN status and normal relations. The potentional profits to be had in China are simply too irrestible.

And I think SuperTool might be right about China-Taiwan.

And I don't think it would matter if a democrat was president, either.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: JellyBaby
Never happen. The consequences of such an action, both political and economic, stayed Bush's hand.

China could start publically executing people in the streets, moon Bush daily on their TV networks, kick the IAEA out and they'd somehow retain MFN status and normal relations. The potentional profits to be had in China are simply too irrestible.

And I think SuperTool might be right about China-Taiwan.

And I don't think it would matter if a democrat was president, either.

China needs us more than we need them economically. THey really should not have MFN trade status.

Tripleshot

Elite Member
Jan 29, 2000
I personally believe China IS NOW a super power. So is Russia. So is Japan. So is England. When a country can influence world opinion by economic, military,or diplomatic presence, then recognition of power is a no brainer. These above countries exhibit at least one of those quilities and some many more. China is a super power. We are arrogant enough to think we are the supreme power.:D

JellyBaby

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
China needs us more than we need them economically. THey really should not have MFN trade status.
Bush 1.0 favored embracing China. Clinton followed suit although perhaps for more personal, selfish reasons. Bush 2.0 didn't change Bush 41's policy. He could have and like you said we have a huge trade imbalance with China.

So there's something else in the air....a stink if you will. Of power, of money, of behind-the-scenes activity that leads me to believe certain people in power want trade relations with China to remain status quo or better, no matter what China does.

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
Originally posted by: Tripleshot
I personally believe China IS NOW a super power. So is Russia. So is Japan. So is England. When a country can influence world opinion by economic, military,or diplomatic presence, then recognition of power is a no brainer. These above countries exhibit at least one of those quilities and some many more. China is a super power. We are arrogant enough to think we are the supreme power.:D

I disagree...I don't think any of those countries can do that - but we sure as hell can. We are a superpower obviously...show me a nation that comes close the the influence that we exert.

Those countries may be players on the world scale...but there is a reason its a SUPERpwower